Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Calm like a Bomb

How Many of you Wear a Full face Helmet

Wondering how many of you wear FF's? If so what are your trails like

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed
    Wondering how many of you wear FF's? If so what are your trails like
    Only when: at the lifts, or on more shuttle/DH type trails.

Or in winter sometimes. It's way warmer than my XC lid with stuff underneath.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ya I was actually thinking of picking one up just for winter rides.. Chainlove just had a real lightweight Six full face for 50.00 bucks.

Calm like a Bomb
    What about goggles also, do sunglasses work with FF Helmets?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I alternate between an XC lid and FF helmet, Really I should use a FF 100% of the time considering what a helemt protects - your head / face. I have seen some nasty spills on the mellowest XC trails and a FF would have cut down on the dental bills. Don't know about most but I don't plan on crashing nor can I predict the type of fall - I can't say "Ok I am going to ride XC today so no face plants, OTB experiences etc. If you don't gamble and want your face intact after a ride go FF, if you gamble and can deal w/ possible injuries stay on an XC lid.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sunglasses work but like goggles you have to put them on after the helmet and take them off before you remove it.

mtbr member
    I don't have a FF helmet yet but will be getting one...my riding group has started getting into more technical riding and more jumping, drops, etc....and I had a bad OTB experience about a month ago and broke my collarbone and wasn't wearing a FF helmet but luckily had no face damage...the XC helmet still protected my head but having a FF would have been nice...

Perpetual Hack
    I have both a FF and an XC lid.
    A Giro Hex and a Remedy CF.

I use the FF for LiftAssist, JumpTrails, or anything with a high price for failure. I use the FF as well for just about all riding in the Spring and Fall and bring the XC lid out for the summer heat when just riding regular XC.

As for sunglasses with a FF - no problem, just as noted above, remember to remove before putting helmet on or taking off... I use my Oakley FlakJackets quite often with the FF.

michael

Off the back...
    I have a FF, arm/leg armour. As soon as I grow a set I'll start riding on some of the FR trails around here and get some use out of the gear.

mtbr member
    Full Face on anything more gnarly than a "green" coded FR trail. I tend to run glasses rather than goggles, but depends on weather. Glasses when really frickin hot and also when raining. Goggles all other time or if really dusty.
    There are some pretty trick well vented FF helmets that have come out recently, but I still like the Flux/Xen styles for anything like a technical XC or light FR trail.

Intense Uzzer
    Rode a standard XC lid for years n years until I saw this pic and vid. In the vid the guy just sits up kinda stunned but obviously okay. I just received a 661 carbon evolution - fits great and all, but worried about the heat issue....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Many of you Wear a Full face Helmet-faceplant.jpg  

2010 Intense Uzzi
    2009 Wilier Izoard

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i always wear my ff helmet (specialized deviant carbon)--i ride mostly XC, w/ nothing more than a 1' or 2' drop to flat. my friends make fun out of me, but sometimes you can wipe out pretty hard even on an easy trail, and it has come in handy. i did a faceplant into a rock a couple of months ago, and instead of losing any teeth, i just lost some paint from my helmet. well worth it IMO.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656
    i always wear my ff helmet (specialized deviant carbon)--i ride mostly XC, w/ nothing more than a 1' or 2' drop to flat. my friends make fun out of me, but sometimes you can wipe out pretty hard even on an easy trail, and it has come in handy. i did a faceplant into a rock a couple of months ago, and instead of losing any teeth, i just lost some paint from my helmet. well worth it IMO.
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I agree with the FF helmet on the descend but if you are generally on a XC trail how hot does it get when your climbing? Or do most of you keep the FF helmet off when you climb?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    x3

If anyone rode motocross and mtb, they would wear a FF most of the time for mtb use. I go just as fast sometimes on my mtb as i do on the mx bike and look at all the armor and protection you wear on a mx bike.
    All it takes is one fall.
    Get the Specialized Deviant with like 21 vents of something. Plenty of protection and if it gets too hot on the ascent, then just strap it to your backpack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Starting as of last fall, I've been using a FF on all trails. A standard half shell protects the strongest bones in your skull and leaves the weakest available for the breaking (along with breathing and brain damage). A FF takes care of that issue. I've just purchase a pair of goggles as well to use.

I also wear elbow/knee and shin guards. Imagine crossing up your tibia (shin bone) to a 4" diameter tree on a 15-20mph get off.

Mainly I ride XC trails with some technical on them in forested areas.

mtbr member
    I wear no helmet on the LONG climbs and then strap on the fullface for the DH or AM riding. I like my teeth and Ive seen some nasty XC crashes that resulted in broken teeth and black eyes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeFettish
    I agree with the FF helmet on the descend but if you are generally on a XC trail how hot does it get when your climbing? Or do most of you keep the FF helmet off when you climb?
    I have the Specialized Deviant which you can definitely climb with cause it is so vented, but for some of the DH helmets or a MX helmet, you would need to take it off cause you cant breath in them. It also depends on how heavy it is and how hot it is outside.
    But also depends on what you are riding. Some rides aren't all climbing then all descent.
    That is why i bought my helmet, so i can climb with it if i need to.
    But it doesnt take long to strap it to the backpack if necessary as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wish people would think more about the "I can't breath in a full face helmet" routine. It's in the mind. There is no way that you will have oxygen depletion from a MX style full face helmet. It is open on top and bottom and vented in the front. By gas diffusion and the amount of oxygen left in exhaled air it is almost impossible to run out of oxygen with the given scenerio. It has more to do with hearing your breathing and the concept of not being able to breath. I ride with a Bell Drop (BMX/DH FF helmet) and have no problems at all on long climbs when large amounts of oxygen are needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01
    I wish people would think more about the "I can't breath in a full face helmet" routine. It's in the mind. There is no way that you will have oxygen depletion from a MX style full face helmet. It is open on top and bottom and vented in the front. By gas diffusion and the amount of oxygen left in exhaled air it is almost impossible to run out of oxygen with the given scenerio. It has more to do with hearing your breathing and the concept of not being able to breath. I ride with a Bell Drop (BMX/DH FF helmet) and have no problems at all on long climbs when large amounts of oxygen are needed.

I was talking about an actual MX full face for breathing not just the MX style helmet. If you have used a MX helmet for MTB use then you will know what i am talking about. Way heavier, way more dense padding, etc. They are made for higher speeds and have less venting in front. It is night and day difference from any MTB full face helmet. Or at least all the various MX FF helmets that i have. It is still safer, but way harder to breathe in. But don't get me wrong, i still think people should use a FF no matter what the riding is. It just makes sense. Unless you don't like your teeth and want full dentures.... hehe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I usually wear just an XC/AM type helmet. Most riding i do requires riding to the top, which flippin sucks, wearing a FF or strapping it to my pack. I wouldn't call myself a all out DH'er but there are times when I enter races on my SXC, and i do have a FF for that and the occasional day when i ride a more "FF friendly" trail. I really should wear one all the time. The trails i pedal to are really know different than courses i race. Definitely good to have one though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is no problem breathing in the Deviant.
    It does feel warmer than a standard lid and is heavier by a factor of 2 or 3.

It will tire you more than a standard helmet and may feel like you are closed in a bit.
    It is harder to snack on the ride and while your waterbag will work with it bottles are a PITA.

If you are climbing you can strap it to your pack but then you aren't wearing any lid if it gets unexpectedly knarly and you have to take the time to put it back on before you get started on the decent. It also is a distraction hanging off your pack, especially if it moves around any or gets off center.

I've worn it on some XC trails and it isn't too bad but the standard helm is easier and more comfortable. I'm thinking wearing the FF more often will make it less noticable.

beater
    I keep debating it, and it's not too hard to imagine a crash on even XC trails that results in a lot of dental reconstruction.

But the sticking point for me isn't the warmth or the weight- it's that our local trails have a lot of hikers on them too. So far we don't have much in the way of user conflicts, and we're lucky in that our local land conservation group has quite a few avid MTBers. I make a point of making eye contact with hikers, smiling, and thanking them if they've stepped aside before I get a chance to yield. You loose that with a FF and goggles. I really don't want to stormtrooper up, at least on the trails in our back yard.

I still haven't ruled it out for some of our less-traveled, gnarlier trails, though.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    xnofriendsx,
    I understand the MX helmet differences and only agree with you on heat buildup and weight. The area you breathe from is no different. There is still plenty of oxygen making its way through top and bottom from the chin guard that the vent in the front is very minor, but still helpful to a small degree. It is in no way an enclosed area for gases since it only has a halo of containment. Gas diffusion with only a minor breeze is crazy fast. I'm imagining that the weight and heat of your MX helmets may influence how you "feel" your breathing capabilities are. Many people think it's difficult to breath in a full face at all, but it's merely a mental aspect such as being in a small room and feeling the walls are getting closer. Not trying to be rude at all, just trying to shine some light on a situation that's not really a problem that people think it is.

Underskilled
    Just adding my small bit to this thread that is repeated every friking week.

On the subject does anyone know of any well ventilated ff helmets?! ;-)

You never know what you are going to crash on or why. Most riders in this forum know what they are doing, so it's normally bad luck that causes the fall.

Due to this I wear as much armour as I can bear due to the heat. In the winter I commute wearing hip armour and a full face helmet. On the trail add knees and elbows.

Seems a bit over the top but let me quickly run down my friends top injuries.

top injury: not sure what happened, wife descending 5-10 deg smooth grass probably less than 10mph. I turned around at the start of the hard section to see where she was. After a small amount of waiting and a panicked sprint up the hill to see where she was. fully unconcious, helmet crushed, convulsing. We are talking total KO, I have seen a LOT of KOs, been the reciever of most, this was the worst.
    Air ambulanced off the hill.
    she is an expert rider and can drop technical rocks better than quite a few guys.

Second worst injury (this was not as serious as the above, so it might give you an idea how bad that head injury was). Friend going too fast over some easy rocks, slips and impales himself on a spike. It enters through the front of the pelvis shattering it, punches out his back and then tears out of the side.
    Intermediate rider, air ambulanced off the hill.

Third worst,
    Friend on easy single track, skids out front wheel and lands with face on a rock removing a lot of it.
    Super expert rider, on a blue route.

So three very experienced riders on terrain that is easy for their skill level with critical injuries.

Two morals to this story:

1) You never know what is going to make you crash, so wear protection at all times.

2) If you have a friend who stops breathing, or is bleeding to death, make sure you know what to do. seriously guys, basic first aid course and a basic first aid kit is all you need.

People mock me for commuting with a DH helmet and hip armour. Few months back lost front wheel, head-butted the ground and have enough momentum to carry me into a car 10m from the point I went down (I was going fast alright).
    Total injuries, nil, main though running through my mind as rolling down the tarmac "WWWeeeeeeeeee".

I hit a car at 30mph and enjoyed it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast