Bro Mountainbiker

How many years can one get out of a high end SIDI mtb shoe?

Obviously, all things wear out over time, and different people will wear out their gear at different rates, but will a Sidi mtb shoe last a serious rider/ racer at least a couple years?

I have been on Giro Gauges for the past couple years. The first pair I rode lasted just over 1 year. Toward the end of their life, the footbed (made of a cardboard-like material) started to push through the cleat area which gave me extreme on and off the bike discomfort.

The second pair of Gauges lasted me 5 months and failed the same way. Needless to say, I got my money back.

Only problem, I have a narrow foot and only fit Giro, Sidi, and other narrower brands.

So will a Sidi hold up to about 12 hours a week of usage for a couple years? Or am I throwing money out the window?

Thanks,
    Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I've been using Sidis for over a decade now...I'm on my fourth pair. That's over 2.5 years per pair. I average about 7 hrs/wk. With size 15 feet, my choices are limited, but Sidi is my go-to shoe. They consistently look abuse in the eye and laugh.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    I've been using Sidis for over a decade now...I'm on my fourth pair. That's over 2.5 years per pair. I average about 7 hrs/wk. With size 15 feet, my choices are limited, but Sidi is my go-to shoe. They consistently look abuse in the eye and laugh.
    Awesome. When they are finally worn out, what gives? My giros would always fall through at the sole.

Curious as to what is the limiting factor of Sidis.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had a pair of dominator.. 1s I guess, before they had numbers, lasted me about 12 years, I finally stopped wearing them because all the foam padding had disintegrated.
    I haven't worn Sidis since because either my feet aren't the same shape as they used to be, or their newer shoes aren't (plus prices are getting out of hand), they do seem to be very well-made though.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'm on my 10th-11th year with my Dominators. My only complaint is the buckles; they catch weeds and sometimes don't unlock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    was also wondering whether i get SIDI or consider other makes. i decided on a GIRO CODE.. one thing that kept me from getting a SIDI was how its slippery on HAB's.

try looking at GIRO CODE.. jenson has a good price on them too. .
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

unrooted
    I had the Dominator 4 or 5's, lasted around 10 years. Finally the buckle quit working and none of the replacements I put on lasted, so I bought a pair of 3 strap Sidis and I've had them for over a year now. I find that unless I pull the straps way too hard my feet don't get as tired as they did with the buckles, I think my feet need a looser shoe to keep blood flowing.

mtbr member
    Only my first pair was the type with the buckles, then I started doing off-road tris and needed to get in and out of them quicker, so my last three pairs have been the all-velcro strap models.

Honestly, none of my Sidis have ever suffered any type of catastrophic failure, the treads simply wear down so I replace 'em. They are admittedly a bit slippery on hard-surface HAB's. But again, with size 15 feet, they've always fit me well....especially with the newer mega sizing, so I don't mind shelling out the bucks for good equipment that I can rely on.

mtbr member
    About 40.000 km on Sidi Eagle 6 Carbon SRS. The inside padding is almost dead but i can get one more season out of them probably. In all this time i changed the soft rubber on the soles about 5 times (rubber is really soft, if you walk a lot you might need new soles every 3 months), i broke one caliper buckle and one strap. The only reason i will replace them is that i used the metal spikes (which are designed for muddy conditions) for walking on hard rocks so the carbon started to crack in one place, but it's still usable like this.

Big dilemma where to go next, i don't want carbon soles anymore so i don't have to bother with the changeable soles, but dominators don't have the heel retention thingy over the achilles tendon, which i like. And the Dominator Carbons don't come in the super sweet Camo ltd edition.

First world problems.

Birdman aka JMJ
    About 12-14 years on my Sidi Dominator 2's. I've replaced the buckles & straps once. Still fit like a glove, and stiff. Only problems (other than the buckles) have been some wear-through by my big toe joint one one shoe and stripped a toe-spike hole.

I like that I can tighten or loosen the top strap while riding without stopping (just reach down and adjust, 1-2 seconds).

I bought some Sidi Bullets (3-velcro straps) on closeout 5 years ago as a replacement, but have yet to take them out of the box.

My wife has the gold-colored ladies model, and they are still going strong at 12 years.

Awesome shoes.

JMJ

mtbr member
    I've always just heard that they simply get too funky to keep wearing after many years...
    ​mountain biking is fun.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    was also wondering whether i get SIDI or consider other makes. i decided on a GIRO CODE.. one thing that kept me from getting a SIDI was how its slippery on HAB's.

try looking at GIRO CODE.. jenson has a good price on them too. .
    My last giros lasted 5 months. I definitely want to try a different shoe this time.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks for everybody's replies!

Sounds like my money wasnt wasted on a set of these bad boys.

How many years can one get out of a high end SIDI mtb shoe?-sidi_drako_srs_carbon_clipless_shoe_black.jpg

Just pro-dealed a set of these guys at work today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Thanks for everybody's replies!

Sounds like my money wasnt wasted on a set of these bad boys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDI_Drako_SRS_Carbon_Clipless_Shoe_Black.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	836529

Just pro-dealed a set of these guys at work today.
    mind sharing what deal you got? and where?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    mind sharing what deal you got? and where?
    Lets just say the deals you get on gear working at a bike shop make up for the **** pay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Lets just say the deals you get on gear working at a bike shop make up for the **** pay.
    you lucky dog you... guess ill just see how my GIRO CODE does and just exchange/return it if im not happy with it. .
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'm on my 10th-11th year with my Dominators. My only complaint is the buckles; they catch weeds and sometimes don't unlock.
    This describes me exactly. On my 11th year with my Dominators, and the only issue I have had is weeds catching in the buckles, causing them to jam a bit. OP, I think you made a good choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    About 12-14 years on my Sidi Dominator 2's. I've replaced the buckles & straps once. Still fit like a glove, and stiff. Only problems (other than the buckles) have been some wear-through by my big toe joint one one shoe and stripped a toe-spike hole.

I like that I can tighten or loosen the top strap while riding without stopping (just reach down and adjust, 1-2 seconds).

I bought some Sidi Bullets (3-velcro straps) on closeout 5 years ago as a replacement, but have yet to take them out of the box.

My wife has the gold-colored ladies model, and they are still going strong at 12 years.

Awesome shoes.

JMJ
    You sir, are the clear winner. Sidi should give you a free pair of shoes....that you won't need for another 12 years. Nice testimony.