"El Whatever"

Hot weather helmet?

Hi All!

I normally ride in hot conditions, constantly over 30C (+86F) and VERY high humidity (70% plus).

My trusty Giro Hex is over its service life and it turned out to be too hot for typical spring-summer conditions here. It does ok during the dry season, though.

I am currently looking at the MET Parabellum or something along those lines.

Any other suggestions for a trail/AM helmet that has good ventilation?

Thanks!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    fortunately here in canada we don't have to worry bout this issue much.....those new smith optics helmets look like they might offer more ventilation than your average helmet - but I have yet to see one in person

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I live in AZ and usually ride in the mid summer heat. Best helmet I have ever owned for fit and cooling is the Specialized MT.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So far my new Kali Amara has been doing fine but I haven't ridden in weather over 85F yet, plus I have short hair. I was thinking of getting their Avita but will probably wait to see if I do more gravity stuff and get a full face if I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fox a Flux and 661 Recon are popular in my area. Great protection, great flow , well worth it

mtbr member
    Same temps here (Malaysia) - humidity is pea soup too. I manage with a met kaos. Have now switched to a bell super and can manage. It's warmer but I want the extra protection.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke View Post
    Same temps here (Malaysia) - humidity is pea soup too. I manage with a met kaos. Have now switched to a bell super and can manage. It's warmer but I want the extra protection.
    Thanks! I am in Darwin, Australia, so you are just across the street and heat and humidity are very similar.

I went with a Kaos after reading many kudos for MET's. The Parabellum is nice, but does not offer more ventilation according to MET themselves.

I thought about the Super, but it may be overkill for local trails. Different from Malaysia, we don't have mountains around.

Thanks everyone!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    specialized Deviant II is the problem solver I like, but it's not for heavy gravity applications.

mtbr member
    I like the IXS Trail RS. I tested the Bell Super, Fox Flux, and Giro Hex, the IXS was lighter, more comfortable and breathed so much better.

IXS Trail RS Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I want to get my hands on one of the IXS - i bought one of the first production shipments of the bell super last season. Its a great helmet - but for some reason, and I know its been documented elsewhere - it runs hot - even with the brow vents. I rode the entire summer season here in CO. its one of the only helmets that also drops sweat right out of the helmet into my eyes and glasses. I always wear a sweatvac beanie and even the ones with the rubber channel - now - I am a heavy sweat producer - but in all my riding I've never had the issues I've described. Too bad - as I like everything else about it. So - my .02c - the super is great but does not vent well or evac sweat very well - except straight off the front