mtbr member

A horrible thing happened to me and now I want some knee protection......

I am relatively new to mountain biking. I just discovered it six months ago or so, and now I can hardly go a day without riding. I imagine at 45 I am older than most here. Yea I rode when I was younger, but I never really got into it. I am fortunate though that I live next to Mission Trails San Diego, and I have awesome trails in my back yard.
    So today I was getting home, riding in at the bottom area, there are all these small rocks and just a small path to ride on or its the rocks. So I go around a bush and I am on a head on collision course with a jogger. Technically, he is on the right side of the path, I am on the left side. The path was small, as everything around it is small rocks. Well, we didnt have much time to avoid each other and I thought he would get out of the way. It didn't happen. Instead this big guy, even older than I am, reacted by screaming in fright and pushing me off my bike. So I flew onto the small rocks. This person, I swear I would have liked to do harm to him, but he was horrified and quickly ran to provide assistance for me, otherwise I would have liked to really do harm to him. Well, I cannot. I am a licensed healthcare professional, and any kind of assault charge means I lose my license. So i have always told my self, always walk away. I thought he was assaulting me but i suppose in his mind he thought he had no other choice to avoid a collision. I accepted his hand to help me up, exchanged a few words, like "wtf" and rode away. now my right knee is really hurting from the impact. I am really thinking knee protection. But I hardly ever see anyone on the trails with knee protection. I find this odd since the knees seem like a common area of impact.
    Just wondering what are some of the options for knee protection, and how much does one need to spend? I do have knee guards for my roller-blades, and i am thinking of using that, they just seem rather bulky and loose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    As for the pads, there are several threads in this section covering knee protection. Read some reviews and decide what specific attributes are most important to you. Max coverage or comfortable. Cost or looks. Etc Etc. 661, Fox, pro-tec, troy lee, etc.

How much to spend? As much as you feel you need to.

As per the incident. If it was a multi-use trail hikers have the right of way. Did he have to push you down? I dunno, but ive looked back at things ive done out of shear panic and often see that there was another option. Maybe he isnt capable of a ninja flip in mid stride. If it was a downhill run at a bike park and the guy pushed his taco cart into your path, then maybe he deserves a beating lol.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    comfort is the first priority. and this includez not wanting something that will move

mtbr member
    I wear my POCs just about every time I ride now. why? I'm old(ish) and clumsy.
    I have a blast riding harder than I ever did 20 yrs. ago and I want to keep doing so.
    Do I look a bit overdressed? maybe, but who gives a $hit? My knees are worth it.
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My GF uses these form pads on her shins and knees, light and soft and will harden when hit. they use lycra to stay in place, she says they are a tad warm but not as hot as the POC she had before. Thats the best info I have, been MTBing for 20 some odd years and never wore them, never hit my knee once, my shins on the other hand are a different story. Your not old my GF is a few years older than me she is 55 and she started MTBing last year, your never to old, this **** keeps you young.

Since you are new, trail edicate is hikers have the right away, you should have braked and let him/her pass or you can yell rider up and most will step aside, at least that happens here. Also you might want a bell of some sort to ring in blind corners that also helps avoid collision with hikers and other MTBers. I am not sure if you have ever rode a motorcycle or not but this seems to be the same in one way, you have to look out for yourself and others. I scared the **** out of a jogger last week, came around a corner I seen her and I was already just about stopped when she looked down and seen me and jump out of her skin and screamed, her friend laughed, I smiled and said afternoon and rode on. She for some odd reason was not looking where she was going but was looking up, who knows but these are things that keep you on your toes.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Since I am also a noob to the scene I really wanted to ride with knee protection. I just don't feel that confident when riding trails especially ones that are rocky and very uneven. Honestly, I feel that head and knees need to be protected as good as possible. Don't find it very hindering to wear protecting either..
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

Gnarly
    Mentioned in other threads: G forms (knee and shin pads)

G-Form Knee Pads | longboard Knee Pads | BMX Kneepads | Bike Kneepads
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I should have realized more explicity in my mind that pedestrians, those on foot have the clear right of way -- but as I say, the trail was knarrow and we came upon eachother rather quick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i started riding earlier this year and have banged up my knees pretty good... both times because i was clipped in.

i am still looking for knee protection but since i release my feet from my pedals before it get's freaky i've been okay - lol.

about three weeks ago i hit my left knee on a center median riding home. i came to a stop light and forgot to unclip and down i went...

good times!

oh, and OP, you're just a touch older than me

joel

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    You may have been lucky he didn't kick YOUR butt, for riding like a selfish teenager. Your behavior is THE reason we have so many hikers yelling at us ( SF Bay Area). I am glad neither one of you were hurt badly, and you are awesome for walking away. I am probably more guilty than you over the years of pissing off hikers, but I am super polite now. Most of the time I offer to pull to side, hikers get out of the way, I really try to accommodate other trail users these days. Good to have you aboard, and I like the FOX Launch knee pads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    45 isn't that old at all on this forum. 53 yrs old here, and we have a guy riding our local expert level trails around my neck of the woods at 73 yr's old.

+1 on the Fox Launch Knee Pads.

Saved my knee's a couple of times since I started wearing them. Both times I was back on the bike, quickly with no adverse effects later on to my knees. They are comfortable, almost forget you have them on at least for me anyway on the first ride w/them. Easy to care for and have held up for me pretty well. Just 10 or so days ago I tested them out again, got a nice impact scratch in the left pad, would have been right in the center of my knee cap... I shudder, to think how that would have turned out..

Now my two fractured ribs... painfully different story. |c:

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

RideDirt
    I have some POC vpd 2.0 Long knee pads for sale if you want them? Size Large... 85 shipped , only worn 2 times.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    IMO, I wouldn't consider wearing pads overkill whatsoever. Ride your ride. I just hit 51 and am just getting back into the game of MTB that I walked away from just a few years ago. I wouldn't consider myself an accomplished rider at all. I'm a nOOb and it's been hard to get restarted but this MTB riding has been my way out of a bad situation when my legs quit working correctly a little over 3 months ago due to an old hidden neck injury that went bad last February. My way of getting my legs and health back are a MTB and I am also ready to go to the pads because as my skills slowly increase, I know I'm going down at some point, it's inevitable. As you get older you don't heal so easy. I'm battling enough as it is to get my leg strength back but it's coming slowly and I don't think I would handle well another set back in my health due to an injury that I might have prevented by wearing some gear.

I say GO FOR IT! We all learn from our own experiences so if someone wants to judge me based on my chosen safety attire, so be it. Remember, most of us will get old at some point. They'll feel it someday.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of POC VPD 2.0 (regular, not long), Fox Launch and 661 Rage knee guards. All of them are very comfortable and I don't notice them while riding. I give the POC the edge because they don't move a bit and are the least bulky so they fit under baggies the best and look the least "overkill".

Ridin' Furry
    Stay in control and slow down around blind turns, its really not that hard. If it was some one on a horse a lot worse could have happened to either party.

LCW
    mtbr member

A horrible thing happened to me and now I want some knee protection......

Try the SixSixOne Rage knee pads. Super comfy even when pedaling.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Best love story I have heard in a long time! Check your bag see if he left you his number.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Depends on what type of injury you sustained. Knee protectors can protect from injury from direct trauma but it doesn't necessarily protect from indirect trauma or injury that comes from age or hyperextension or lateral twisting.

But yeah, knee protection has always been underestimated and even looked down upon as being a sissy and unnecessary accessory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i ordered 661 riot knee and elbow guards for a great price from backcountry.

should be here this week.

joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 POC VPD 2.0 regular. very comfy after worked in, and amazing protection if spills happen (which they will). thought it'd be overkill too originally, but now just part of riding gear and wouldn't ride without them. for the price you get saved from tons of potential downtime healing from a spill in a rock garden ... and limit scars. my guess is crossing 40 yrs of age and mtn biking usually has 'more' to do with fitness so staying healthy is part of staying protected. each to their own, but this just seems common sense to me. highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Race Face Ambush is the most comfortable knee pad out there. I spent over $500 demoing various pads, (POC, Dianese, Kali, FOX, TLD, 661) and teh RF were the bees knees so to speak.

Steep on the Cheap
    G-form are the only "forget its there" knee pads I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    G- form offers very little protection and almost NO side protection, which was important to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The following Knee pads I have found super comfortable going on long XC rides.

1. Demon Soft Cap Pro X d30
    2. G-Form Xrd Knee Pads
    3. POC VPD 2.0 Knee pads

They all offer a low profile design. Making them light weight and comfortable. They offer a slide on pad that stays in place than your traditional hard shell knee pad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The LBS I frequent the most ONLY sells G-form pads now because of how impressed they were with them. FWIW.