Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    GALATIANS 2:20
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    47

    Hip Pads/armored shorts

    I need some hip/tail bone padding for hot weather. Any experienced recommendations appreciated!

    I'm looking at the 661 Bomber and Pro Bomber shorts, but was hoping to find something more breathable.
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

    Galatians 2:20*

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    100

    Pro Bombers are good...

    I have the Pro Bomber and don't find them uncomfortable or hot ... Only problem is that I bought large, but I really need medium size.

    Only problem is whether to wear them over, under trail shorts. Ideally they should go between lycra undershorts and overshorts.

    Cheers
    Nic

  3. #3
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    I just bought the Bomber Pros this week. Not used them yet, but having tried them on can say that they will be hot. Closed cell foam around the hips, thighs and bum. I'll see how they go, but will probably take the bum pads off.

    They are obviously built to go under baggy shorts. They are made of mesh, which will catch and shred during a fall without shorts over them.

  4. #4
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicwix
    I have the Pro Bomber and don't find them uncomfortable or hot ... Only problem is that I bought large, but I really need medium size.

    Only problem is whether to wear them over, under trail shorts. Ideally they should go between lycra undershorts and overshorts.

    Cheers
    Nic
    Wait, that's two problems. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

  5. #5
    s62
    s62 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    534
    I recommend the Rockgardn CYA shorts. They are comfortable, wear easily under baggy DH-type shorts, and work quite well. The sizing is pretty easy, and Rockgardn has time-and-again proven to be a great company (in my experience).

  6. #6
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,072

    Good job! Rockgardn CYA Shorts

    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    I recommend the Rockgardn CYA shorts. They are comfortable, wear easily under baggy DH-type shorts, and work quite well. The sizing is pretty easy, and Rockgardn has time-and-again proven to be a great company (in my experience).

    Hi All,

    I agree. These have worked extremely well for me!

    Thanks,

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  7. #7
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter Cameraman
    I need some hip/tail bone padding for hot weather. Any experienced recommendations appreciated!

    I'm looking at the 661 Bomber and Pro Bomber shorts, but was hoping to find something more breathable.
    Fox has some.

    They are lightweight, and unlike the other options don't have full upper leg protection, just the hip joint and tailbone.

    Basically, under riding shorts with a bit of padding.

    P

  8. #8
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    I don't know...all of the undershort systems I've seen or tried were just too hot for any long and/or warm riding, other than shuttled stuff. I've been using the hip pads from my moto pants slipped inside of my baggies. All of these pads from moto pants have a tab of velcro sewn in them from the factory...and a pleasant surprise is that the velcro will stick to the inside lycra liner in just about any short made. These pads offer great hip pointer protection and the rounder ones can be used singularly at the back/butt bone area if desired. Since you don't have other fabric needed to hold the pads in place, the heat factor is greatly diminished. These work with either baggies or all-lycra.

    You can order them from moto shops as separate items, and the catalog should show or indicate which shape you're getting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Fox has some.

    They are lightweight, and unlike the other options don't have full upper leg protection, just the hip joint and tailbone.

    Basically, under riding shorts with a bit of padding.

    P
    I had a look at those ones (called Comp S Air or something). The padding looked too light to be of any use whatsoever- too light even to protect against light gravel rash much mess a hard impact.

    Definitely a cooler design than the 661 though.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    313
    Just got this one: http://www.redprotection.com/product...productid=2044

    Very poor fit for me, the waist of the L is too wide, the legs are a bit too short for my taste (above the knee). It does have nice protection, but it doesn't cover the hip bones very good (also because of the poor fit) and that was exactly why I wanted a padded short.

    I didn't want an inner short with protection, because you would have to wash it after one ride, which would not be very practical on a longer weekend or Holiday. So I got this outher short which you can wear with your undies (hardly need the padding from normal cycling shorts if you more into technical riding, your standing almost half the time).

  11. #11
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi All,

    I agree. These have worked extremely well for me!

    Thanks,

    Michael
    Read the original post. The OP asked for protective shorts for hot weather. Just how is half an inch of closed cell foam supposed to be good for hot wheather?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    I have a pair of the TLD padded shorts and have not been impressed. The stitching started to fail in less than 6 months of moderate use (3 or 4 rides per month) and the pads have a bad tendency to curl. (you need to take the pads out to wash the shorts, but the stitching breaks when you do )

    The Sette shorts at Price Point also look decent…especially for the price.

  13. #13
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    I just bought the Bomber Pros this week. Not used them yet, but having tried them on can say that they will be hot. Closed cell foam around the hips, thighs and bum. I'll see how they go, but will probably take the bum pads off.

    They are obviously built to go under baggy shorts. They are made of mesh, which will catch and shred during a fall without shorts over them.
    They're actually not too hot. I wear them under Core Rat Battle Shorts, which are super-heavy Cordura shorts, the combo is hot, but bearable for lift riding.

    They saved me big time, I crashed on them really hard and still got badly bruised through the hardshell pad. The mesh pattern was tattooed into my skin. I'm sure I wouldn't be walking right now without them. I layed my bike down today, not too hard, and my hips got away with no damage whatsoever this time... I'm not sure how useful the other thinner pads really are.

    I also have to plug Race Face armor, their jacket plus rally arms and legs are the best armor I've used, including Dainese.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •