mtbr member

Hip pack decision.

Looking to lighten the load when on shorter rides when the backpack is not nesessary.

Looking at the Dakine 18s Hot Laps that appears to be very decent and it sells for $30.

Also looking at the EVOC Hip Pack that is slightly larger and sells for $65.

Does anyone have any comments regarding either hip pack?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use the evoc. If you get the hydration bladder, it is best to only fill it half way or so, it gets a little bouncy when itís full. Also, the magnet is a bit weak. Outside that, I really like it and actually carries all the tools that I need. I use it often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I use the evoc. If you get the hydration bladder, it is best to only fill it half way or so, it gets a little bouncy when itís full. Also, the magnet is a bit weak. Outside that, I really like it and actually carries all the tools that I need. I use it often.
    Going to get one without the bladder and will carry just a juice container, hand pump, co2 inflator, multi tool, iPhone in the pack. I think itís plenty big for my needs, just want to be sure itís comfortable since I have only worn a backpack in tbe past.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I was recently in the same situation. My wife got me the Bontrager pack for Christmas. It holds a water bottle in the middle of the pack and also has room for small tools, snack, etc. I find having 2 water bottles is enough for me on a 2-3 hour ride. One on the frame and one on my pack. I love this setup. You should consider the Bontrager as it gets my vote!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLESS23 View Post
    I was recently in the same situation. My wife got me the Bontrager pack for Christmas. It holds a water bottle in the middle of the pack and also has room for small tools, snack, etc. I find having 2 water bottles is enough for me on a 2-3 hour ride. One on the frame and one on my pack. I love this setup. You should consider the Bontrager as it gets my vote!
    It does appear to be a very decent pack and I will check it out, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I love my Dakine Hot Laps. Holds just enough and the added water bottle holder is a nice bonus. It's light enough that without a water bottle, sometimes I find myself making sure I'm wearing it because I can't even feel it back there.

mtbr member
    Iíve never been a back pack guy. My bike frame has a bottle cage and the I use the Camelbak fanny pack for a second bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    I picked up one of these just to try something different. Haven't used it for biking yet but for xc skiing it's been great. Holds all my tools and wax, safety supplies, and a water bottle. Comfy, and doesn't move around, the cinch belt works well and is nice and wide so the waist belt doesn't just collapse around a thin nylon webbing like a lot of packs have. It's another option at least. https://weevil-outdoor-supply.myshop...trail-hip-pack
    Last edited by sherwin24; 1 Week Ago at 12:54 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If you go with a pack that takes a water bottle there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-164-Wat.../dp/B0048HWZ3Q
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Ambassador of Chub
    I like the Hot Laps. Simple, just big enough and holds a water bottle. Very comfortable too - I forget I'm wearing it when riding.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've had the the Dakine Hot Laps for awhile now and it works well for the reasons that you're considering a hip pack.

I just checked out the Bontrager version at my LBS and that's the one I would buy. I feel it offers better organization, I like the bottle holder and in the middle of the back and it felt less bulky than the Dakine.

mtbr member

I tried a bunch of fanny packs and my favourite is this 6L MEC [CDN REI] fanny I got for a trip to India. Not bike specific, but it holds just enough to be dangerous and I can barely tell it's on. No MTB steezy style points, but it cost like $15.

I wear it under my jersey so nobody sees how uncool it is.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    If you go with a pack that takes a water bottle there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-164-Wat.../dp/B0048HWZ3Q
    33oz. Thatís a big bottle. I usually carry a 24 oz. But on some days every oz counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    I've had the the Dakine Hot Laps for awhile now and it works well for the reasons that you're considering a hip pack.

I just checked out the Bontrager version at my LBS and that's the one I would buy. I feel it offers better organization, I like the bottle holder and in the middle of the back and it felt less bulky than the Dakine.
    Do you guys ever worry about the water bottle hitting your spine in the event of a crash? I know the bottle would compress, but I can just see the screw-on cap on my Camelbak Podium digging into my spine and the thought of that makes me cringe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have to put in a plug for this local guy, because I run into him on the trails testing his stuff with some regularity. Good basic hip packs made for MTB.

Hip Packs ‚ÄĒ -HIGH ABOVE-

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    another vote for the bontrager rapid. it's light and it keeps all the items close to your body so it doesn't slosh around. I have the palos 4LR as well and I hate it. when it's filled, the weight makes it sag and bounce a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
    I have to put in a plug for this local guy, because I run into him on the trails testing his stuff with some regularity. Good basic hip packs made for MTB.

Hip Packs ‚ÄĒ -HIGH ABOVE-
    I sprung for one of those last year. Pricy but good stuff is. Itís working well. Iíve tried a few bum bags and I find that none work well if they are too heavy. They bounce and the belt loosens off. The Camelbak Palos was bad. I carry a bottle on my frame and if Iím going long I carry an MSR filter for water from streams which abound here. I also have an Acre Houser 14 for times I need more storage and water will be scarce. I have the Dakine as well and it is very good too but has no room for a rain jacket whereas the High Above has a couple lash cords for that.
    Last edited by someoldfart; 1 Week Ago at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Dakine Hot Laps, and my wife has the Bontrager Rapid. Can't really go wrong with either. I find the Dakine more comfortable with the water bottle off to the side, but as a downside, it doesn't hug the body as well as the Bontrager, so you might find it collects some mud. Because the Bontrager hugs the body better, it doesn't collect mud, but you may be more aware of the water bottle. I find both of them to be an improvement over a camelback, which I only wear on longer rides where two bottles isn't enough. If you carry a mini-pump, you might have to consider size issues. I downsized to the 170mm lezyne alloy drive hand pump, which fits in the Dakine.

I would get the Dakine again.

Good luck,
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Do you guys ever worry about the water bottle hitting your spine in the event of a crash? I know the bottle would compress, but I can just see the screw-on cap on my Camelbak Podium digging into my spine and the thought of that makes me cringe.
    Not much too worry about that, matt. 'been using hip packs in the last 8 years or so and crashed enough to say that the bottle either gets ejected or dented at the bottom.

The cap points upward in the holder, parallel to your spine.

I'm also using a camelbak podium bottle with their Delaney hip pack.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    What about the Henty Enduro Pack? I really like mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    What about the Henty Enduro Pack? I really like mine!
    I ordered a EVOC hip pack and I will try to evaluate it prior to using it so that it could be returned if I think it will not work well. It does have d cent reviews from what I could find online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a camelback lr24 or something like that, and it took me a while to enjoy using it. To me these packs are awesome for those really warm days when you donít need to worry about carrying a second layer.

I have organized my tools so that I have some stuff in my seat bag, and then more stuff in both of my hydration packs.

To me the only downside about the hip pack is that if you are like me and enjoy both mtn bikes and donuts, the belt on the hip pack may prove a little short. I also wish the drinking tube was a little longer, and sometimes the tube gets unclipped from the magnet, so the tube is dangling and you ride
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I have a camelback lr24 or something like that, and it took me a while to enjoy using it. To me these packs are awesome for those really warm days when you donít need to worry about carrying a second layer.

I have organized my tools so that I have some stuff in my seat bag, and then more stuff in both of my hydration packs.

To me the only downside about the hip pack is that if you are like me and enjoy both mtn bikes and donuts, the belt on the hip pack may prove a little short. I also wish the drinking tube was a little longer, and sometimes the tube gets unclipped from the magnet, so the tube is dangling and you ride
    I have an Osprey with the hydration bladder and will use that for the longer rides when the weather is cooler and use the hip pack for the shorter warmer day rides. Going to have a small tool bag with the multi tool, co2 inflator and tire levers so I can quickly switch them to either pack. The spare tube will be strapped to my new GG Trail Pistol once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I ordered a EVOC hip pack and I will try to evaluate it prior to using it so that it could be returned if I think it will not work well. It does have d cent reviews from what I could find online.
    I have the evoc hip and it's been my go to bag last season for anything shorter than 3hrs. I typically find that 1 bottle in the pack and 1 on the bike is plenty. I'll rarely use the bladder with the evoc as I think it's the worst part of the pack. The straps are too narrow in width so anything over 1L in the bladder and it tends to bounce around and/or sag and drive me nuts on the ride. Also the magnet, while adjustable for position is absolute dogsh!t compared to the camelbak ones and it's not uncommon for the drinking tube to lose connection and go flopping on hard/fast hits.

Since two bottles usually is plenty for me I picked up some swat bibs to try and really like them so far, but we'll see if theyre enough once it gets hot into summer.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I put a 1l bottle in my SWATs and drink it first on the way up. With my FS bike 1l in my pocket and 700ml in the cage is plenty most days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I put a 1l bottle in my SWATs and drink it first on the way up. With my FS bike 1l in my pocket and 700ml in the cage is plenty most days.
    Hydration wise, they say you need to do most of your drinking in advance if your ride but you do want to have enough available for the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Hydration wise, they say you need to do most of your drinking in advance if your ride but you do want to have enough available for the ride.

It's definitely best to start well hydrated but depending on tons of factors what you start with really doesn't last that long. Intensity plays a big part, @150 watts it's typical to sweat out 1 liter per hour and @250 watts it's 2 liters per hour.

As you said having enough available is all that's important though and everyone figures out soon enough how much that is.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It's definitely best to start well hydrated but depending on tons of factors what you start with really doesn't last that long. Intensity plays a big part, @150 watts it's typical to sweat out 1 liter per hour and @250 watts it's 2 liters per hour.

As you said having enough available is all that's important though and everyone figures out soon enough how much that is.
    Youíre exactly correct‼️

mtbr member
    Your body can only process a given amount of water in an hour. How much varies by person, but once you hit your limit there is no point drinking more/faster. It's worth experimenting and figuring out what your body needs for your typical riding conditions, speed and weather.

I'll preload with a bottle in the summer. In the winter on a 2-3hrs ride I don't even drink a bottle so there is no point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    With the packs that hold a bottle. How easy or hard is it to pull the bottle and put it back while riding...and how sweaty do they get? When it comes to sweat...are they better than a pack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    With the packs that hold a bottle. How easy or hard is it to pull the bottle and put it back while riding...and how sweaty do they get? When it comes to sweat...are they better than a pack?
    Typically I only pull the bottle from the evoc hip pack or the swat bibs when I stop for a break.

I had to train myself out of the tiny constant sips I was used to with the camelback. I imagine someone out there is talented enough to do the reacharound (har har) pull drink and return while climbing but Iím not that guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Typically I only pull the bottle from the evoc hip pack or the swat bibs when I stop for a break.

I had to train myself out of the tiny constant sips I was used to with the camelback. I imagine someone out there is talented enough to do the reacharound (har har) pull drink and return while climbing but Iím not that guy.
    Not willing to risk a crash/ injury just to grab a drink while mountain biking.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I can pull my bottle out of the SWAT bibs easily, but putting it back with one hand never seems to work because it's under my shirt.