mtbr member

Hip pack decision.

Looking to lighten the load when on shorter rides when the backpack is not nesessary.

Looking at the Dakine 18s Hot Laps that appears to be very decent and it sells for $30.

Also looking at the EVOC Hip Pack that is slightly larger and sells for $65.

Does anyone have any comments regarding either hip pack?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use the evoc. If you get the hydration bladder, it is best to only fill it half way or so, it gets a little bouncy when itís full. Also, the magnet is a bit weak. Outside that, I really like it and actually carries all the tools that I need. I use it often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I use the evoc. If you get the hydration bladder, it is best to only fill it half way or so, it gets a little bouncy when itís full. Also, the magnet is a bit weak. Outside that, I really like it and actually carries all the tools that I need. I use it often.
    Going to get one without the bladder and will carry just a juice container, hand pump, co2 inflator, multi tool, iPhone in the pack. I think itís plenty big for my needs, just want to be sure itís comfortable since I have only worn a backpack in tbe past.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I was recently in the same situation. My wife got me the Bontrager pack for Christmas. It holds a water bottle in the middle of the pack and also has room for small tools, snack, etc. I find having 2 water bottles is enough for me on a 2-3 hour ride. One on the frame and one on my pack. I love this setup. You should consider the Bontrager as it gets my vote!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLESS23 View Post
    I was recently in the same situation. My wife got me the Bontrager pack for Christmas. It holds a water bottle in the middle of the pack and also has room for small tools, snack, etc. I find having 2 water bottles is enough for me on a 2-3 hour ride. One on the frame and one on my pack. I love this setup. You should consider the Bontrager as it gets my vote!
    It does appear to be a very decent pack and I will check it out, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I love my Dakine Hot Laps. Holds just enough and the added water bottle holder is a nice bonus. It's light enough that without a water bottle, sometimes I find myself making sure I'm wearing it because I can't even feel it back there.

mtbr member
    Iíve never been a back pack guy. My bike frame has a bottle cage and the I use the Camelbak fanny pack for a second bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    I picked up one of these just to try something different. Haven't used it for biking yet but for xc skiing it's been great. Holds all my tools and wax, safety supplies, and a water bottle. Comfy, and doesn't move around, the cinch belt works well and is nice and wide so the waist belt doesn't just collapse around a thin nylon webbing like a lot of packs have. It's another option at least. https://weevil-outdoor-supply.myshop...trail-hip-pack
    Last edited by sherwin24; 02-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If you go with a pack that takes a water bottle there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-164-Wat.../dp/B0048HWZ3Q
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Ambassador of Chub
    I like the Hot Laps. Simple, just big enough and holds a water bottle. Very comfortable too - I forget I'm wearing it when riding.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've had the the Dakine Hot Laps for awhile now and it works well for the reasons that you're considering a hip pack.

I just checked out the Bontrager version at my LBS and that's the one I would buy. I feel it offers better organization, I like the bottle holder and in the middle of the back and it felt less bulky than the Dakine.

mtbr member

I tried a bunch of fanny packs and my favourite is this 6L MEC [CDN REI] fanny I got for a trip to India. Not bike specific, but it holds just enough to be dangerous and I can barely tell it's on. No MTB steezy style points, but it cost like $15.

I wear it under my jersey so nobody sees how uncool it is.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    If you go with a pack that takes a water bottle there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-164-Wat.../dp/B0048HWZ3Q
    33oz. Thatís a big bottle. I usually carry a 24 oz. But on some days every oz counts.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    I've had the the Dakine Hot Laps for awhile now and it works well for the reasons that you're considering a hip pack.

I just checked out the Bontrager version at my LBS and that's the one I would buy. I feel it offers better organization, I like the bottle holder and in the middle of the back and it felt less bulky than the Dakine.
    Do you guys ever worry about the water bottle hitting your spine in the event of a crash? I know the bottle would compress, but I can just see the screw-on cap on my Camelbak Podium digging into my spine and the thought of that makes me cringe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have to put in a plug for this local guy, because I run into him on the trails testing his stuff with some regularity. Good basic hip packs made for MTB.

Hip Packs ‚ÄĒ -HIGH ABOVE-

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    another vote for the bontrager rapid. it's light and it keeps all the items close to your body so it doesn't slosh around. I have the palos 4LR as well and I hate it. when it's filled, the weight makes it sag and bounce a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
    I have to put in a plug for this local guy, because I run into him on the trails testing his stuff with some regularity. Good basic hip packs made for MTB.

I sprung for one of those last year. Pricy but good stuff is. Itís working well. Iíve tried a few bum bags and I find that none work well if they are too heavy. They bounce and the belt loosens off. The Camelbak Palos was bad. I carry a bottle on my frame and if Iím going long I carry an MSR filter for water from streams which abound here. I also have an Acre Houser 14 for times I need more storage and water will be scarce. I have the Dakine as well and it is very good too but has no room for a rain jacket whereas the High Above has a couple lash cords for that.
    Last edited by someoldfart; 02-13-2018 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Dakine Hot Laps, and my wife has the Bontrager Rapid. Can't really go wrong with either. I find the Dakine more comfortable with the water bottle off to the side, but as a downside, it doesn't hug the body as well as the Bontrager, so you might find it collects some mud. Because the Bontrager hugs the body better, it doesn't collect mud, but you may be more aware of the water bottle. I find both of them to be an improvement over a camelback, which I only wear on longer rides where two bottles isn't enough. If you carry a mini-pump, you might have to consider size issues. I downsized to the 170mm lezyne alloy drive hand pump, which fits in the Dakine.

I would get the Dakine again.

Good luck,
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Do you guys ever worry about the water bottle hitting your spine in the event of a crash? I know the bottle would compress, but I can just see the screw-on cap on my Camelbak Podium digging into my spine and the thought of that makes me cringe.
    Not much too worry about that, matt. 'been using hip packs in the last 8 years or so and crashed enough to say that the bottle either gets ejected or dented at the bottom.

The cap points upward in the holder, parallel to your spine.

I'm also using a camelbak podium bottle with their Delaney hip pack.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    What about the Henty Enduro Pack? I really like mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    What about the Henty Enduro Pack? I really like mine!
    I ordered a EVOC hip pack and I will try to evaluate it prior to using it so that it could be returned if I think it will not work well. It does have d cent reviews from what I could find online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a camelback lr24 or something like that, and it took me a while to enjoy using it. To me these packs are awesome for those really warm days when you donít need to worry about carrying a second layer.

I have organized my tools so that I have some stuff in my seat bag, and then more stuff in both of my hydration packs.

To me the only downside about the hip pack is that if you are like me and enjoy both mtn bikes and donuts, the belt on the hip pack may prove a little short. I also wish the drinking tube was a little longer, and sometimes the tube gets unclipped from the magnet, so the tube is dangling and you ride
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I have a camelback lr24 or something like that, and it took me a while to enjoy using it. To me these packs are awesome for those really warm days when you donít need to worry about carrying a second layer.

I have organized my tools so that I have some stuff in my seat bag, and then more stuff in both of my hydration packs.

To me the only downside about the hip pack is that if you are like me and enjoy both mtn bikes and donuts, the belt on the hip pack may prove a little short. I also wish the drinking tube was a little longer, and sometimes the tube gets unclipped from the magnet, so the tube is dangling and you ride
    I have an Osprey with the hydration bladder and will use that for the longer rides when the weather is cooler and use the hip pack for the shorter warmer day rides. Going to have a small tool bag with the multi tool, co2 inflator and tire levers so I can quickly switch them to either pack. The spare tube will be strapped to my new GG Trail Pistol once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I ordered a EVOC hip pack and I will try to evaluate it prior to using it so that it could be returned if I think it will not work well. It does have d cent reviews from what I could find online.
    I have the evoc hip and it's been my go to bag last season for anything shorter than 3hrs. I typically find that 1 bottle in the pack and 1 on the bike is plenty. I'll rarely use the bladder with the evoc as I think it's the worst part of the pack. The straps are too narrow in width so anything over 1L in the bladder and it tends to bounce around and/or sag and drive me nuts on the ride. Also the magnet, while adjustable for position is absolute dogsh!t compared to the camelbak ones and it's not uncommon for the drinking tube to lose connection and go flopping on hard/fast hits.

Since two bottles usually is plenty for me I picked up some swat bibs to try and really like them so far, but we'll see if theyre enough once it gets hot into summer.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I put a 1l bottle in my SWATs and drink it first on the way up. With my FS bike 1l in my pocket and 700ml in the cage is plenty most days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I put a 1l bottle in my SWATs and drink it first on the way up. With my FS bike 1l in my pocket and 700ml in the cage is plenty most days.
    Hydration wise, they say you need to do most of your drinking in advance if your ride but you do want to have enough available for the ride.

mtbr member
    Hydration wise, they say you need to do most of your drinking in advance if your ride but you do want to have enough available for the ride.

It's definitely best to start well hydrated but depending on tons of factors what you start with really doesn't last that long. Intensity plays a big part, @150 watts it's typical to sweat out 1 liter per hour and @250 watts it's 2 liters per hour.

As you said having enough available is all that's important though and everyone figures out soon enough how much that is.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It's definitely best to start well hydrated but depending on tons of factors what you start with really doesn't last that long. Intensity plays a big part, @150 watts it's typical to sweat out 1 liter per hour and @250 watts it's 2 liters per hour.

As you said having enough available is all that's important though and everyone figures out soon enough how much that is.
    Youíre exactly correct‼️

mtbr member
    Your body can only process a given amount of water in an hour. How much varies by person, but once you hit your limit there is no point drinking more/faster. It's worth experimenting and figuring out what your body needs for your typical riding conditions, speed and weather.

I'll preload with a bottle in the summer. In the winter on a 2-3hrs ride I don't even drink a bottle so there is no point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    With the packs that hold a bottle. How easy or hard is it to pull the bottle and put it back while riding...and how sweaty do they get? When it comes to sweat...are they better than a pack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    With the packs that hold a bottle. How easy or hard is it to pull the bottle and put it back while riding...and how sweaty do they get? When it comes to sweat...are they better than a pack?
    Typically I only pull the bottle from the evoc hip pack or the swat bibs when I stop for a break.

I had to train myself out of the tiny constant sips I was used to with the camelback. I imagine someone out there is talented enough to do the reacharound (har har) pull drink and return while climbing but Iím not that guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Typically I only pull the bottle from the evoc hip pack or the swat bibs when I stop for a break.

I had to train myself out of the tiny constant sips I was used to with the camelback. I imagine someone out there is talented enough to do the reacharound (har har) pull drink and return while climbing but Iím not that guy.
    Not willing to risk a crash/ injury just to grab a drink while mountain biking.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I can pull my bottle out of the SWAT bibs easily, but putting it back with one hand never seems to work because it's under my shirt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks great, but sweet jesus that's a lot of money for a fanny pack.

Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Just buy a running or hiking hip pack for $20.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I bought the EVOC pack and love it but it seems the bottle holder mesh only holds a very narrow bottle.
    Regardless, Iím loving the pack!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I thought the EVOC pack was expensive but Iím really loving it. Very well made with excellent compartments, great design and very comfortable but not cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    +1 for the dakine hot laps. Itís helped me realize I donít need a camelbak full of water. I havenít worn my cb mule since I purchased the dakine. No sweaty back and I hardly notice itís there. One water bottle on the bike for two hour rides, +1 on the pack for 3 hour+rides which is is about my limit anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    +1 for the dakine hot laps. Itís helped me realize I donít need a camelbak full of water. I havenít worn my cb mule since I purchased the dakine. No sweaty back and I hardly notice itís there. One water bottle on the bike for two hour rides, +1 on the pack for 3 hour+rides which is is about my limit anyway.
    I agree, hip packs with a water bottle there and on tbe frame are enough for a three hour ride, my usual limit as well with more water in the car ! The backpacks are much morecumberson with the drink in the bladder sloshing around constantly. I would use that if on a days ride with lunch on a rail trail somewhere for a real long ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I bought the EVOC pack and love it but it seems the bottle holder mesh only holds a very narrow bottle.
    Regardless, Iím loving the pack!
    Mine fits any of the standard 21oz bottles I've tried. The LBS branded ones they gave me with my bikes, as well as camelback podium style.

I can't get the bottle back in one handed usually, as the loop around the mesh holder usually snags and needs a second hand to hold it out.

mtbr member
    Mine fits any of the standard 21oz bottles I've tried. The LBS branded ones they gave me with my bikes, as well as camelback podium style.

I can't get the bottle back in one handed usually, as the loop around the mesh holder usually snags and needs a second hand to hold it out.
    Youíre referring to the EVOC fitting a standard bottle in the mesh?

mtbr member
    My backpack has to hold at least four cans of beer. Anything less is no bueno.

mtbr member
    I have this, no complaints. Fits everything I need and nice to have the option to add an extra water bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by He1enKe1ler; 03-24-2018 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Has anyone had a chance to compare the Camelbak Repack and the Evoc Hip Pack?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have the Camelbak and it is great. If I was buying now, I would check out the Osprey Seral, it has a bungy system built in. I have no experience with Evoc or Dakine but I bet they are great as well. All hip packs will have limited storage with a full bladder.

I am Walt
    Iím an Osprey guy, and have a number of hydration packs. I wanted an off-the-back option, and got a Talon 6. Iím loving it thus far. It has two ergonomic bottles that have been enough for me (but can also take regular 20-21 oz bottles), and there is plenty of room for extra stuff, keys and a phone. Stays in place with minimal movement. Highly recommended.
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...-6-TALON6.html

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderofPA View Post
    I have the Camelbak and it is great. If I was buying now, I would check out the Osprey Seral, it has a bungy system built in. I have no experience with Evoc or Dakine but I bet they are great as well. All hip packs will have limited storage with a full bladder.
    Looks like the Seral won't be available until next spring.

Evoc is adding the Hip Pack Pro to their portfolio in the fall. The waist belt looks great.
    Hip pack decision.-evoc2-900x600.jpg

CamelBak Repack is currently on for $55 including the bladder, seems like a good deal for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You can't beat the Repack for $55 bucks...I say go for it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderofPA View Post
    You can't beat the Repack for $55 bucks...I say go for it!
    I think you're right.
    Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

I use the Palos on half day rides or less.

Unlike the EVOC that does not come with a water bladder and seems to fit only a one liter bladder this one has a 50 ouncer, 1.5 liters It was $55 bladder Included.

Hip pack decision.-camelbak-palos-6654-1500x877.jpg

When loaded with 50 oz of water, food~n~ stuff It had to be cinched tight and as I drank water would get loose and bounce down needing to be re-cinched as I used water, that sucked so I think they changed the belt strap some and renamed the Palos the Repack.
    Seems like that would also need a shoulder harness but at least It costs no more and comes with the water bladder.

Hip pack decision.-strapettes-lumbar.jpg

Was an easy fix, found a nice padded shoulder harness, Card called it, 'Strapettes Lumbar' $15.00 and real nice quality.
    That clipped right on and now my Palos Is a great stable, light, cool, no more sweaty back, hip pack.

Hip pack decision.-img_20170315_141608_986.jpg

Tools, tube, pump, frozen Insulated water bottle full of gatorade and heavy stuff go low on the bike helping me keep my CG extra low.

Op,,
    I think all these packs will need extra belt tightening as you ride, but over all I think mine AFTER adding the shoulder strap Is a great way to free your self from a sweaty back, and motivates me to carry less stuff. It's easier to say NO when another riders wants someone to hump something that they cannot fit :P
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I use the Palos on half day rides or less.

Unlike the EVOC that does not come with a water bladder and seems to fit only a one liter bladder this one has a 50 ouncer, 1.5 liters It was $55 bladder Included.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camelbak-palos-6654-1500x877.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1200735

When loaded with 50 oz of water, food~n~ stuff It had to be cinched tight and as I drank water would get loose and bounce down needing to be re-cinched as I used water, that sucked so I think they changed the belt strap some and renamed the Palos the Repack.
    Seems like that would also need a shoulder harness but at least It costs no more and comes with the water bladder.

Name:	Strapettes Lumbar.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1200737

Was an easy fix, found a nice padded shoulder harness, Card called it, 'Strapettes Lumbar' $15.00 and real nice quality.
    That clipped right on and now my Palos Is a great stable, light, cool, no more sweaty back, hip pack.

Name:	IMG_20170315_141608_986.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	1200739

Tools, tube, pump, frozen Insulated water bottle full of gatorade and heavy stuff go low on the bike helping me keep my CG extra low.
    Really like that Strapettes Lumbar solution, but cannot see from the picture where the straps connect on the back side? Do they extend completely over the pack and clip underneath?

Wingnut made a pack similar to this that I had years ago but it was really poor quality and material degraded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Iím an Osprey guy, and have a number of hydration packs. I wanted an off-the-back option, and got a Talon 6. Iím loving it thus far. It has two ergonomic bottles that have been enough for me (but can also take regular 20-21 oz bottles), and there is plenty of room for extra stuff, keys and a phone. Stays in place with minimal movement. Highly recommended.
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...-6-TALON6.html

I am using an older version of this pack now. Has great storage capacity, fits well, but after 3+ years one of my side pockets completely shredded through. Now I am wondering whether everything will fall out the bottom of the main storage compartment one day?

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Really like that Strapettes Lumbar solution, but cannot see from the picture where the straps connect on the back side? Do they extend completely over the pack and clip underneath?
    Wingnut made a pack similar to this that I had years ago but it was really poor quality and material degraded.
    Attaches to the center carrying handle like it was meant for that.. and Camelbak material quality is second to none, do not compare to stuff made years ago.

Hip pack decision.-strap-resize.jpg

I shoulder the thing,
    Clasp the chest strap, This one can be loose but Is needed when you start bouncing down a rock garden to keep the shoulder straps from falling off your shoulder when the pack goes light from no water,
    Cinch the waist belt, no need for tight anymore,
    Slide the shoulder strap ends on the belt out to the sides, they stay put.
    bring the water tube into the magnet,
    Done, with no re tightening the belt as the water Is depleted.

FWIW This pack holds more than you would think It does....
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

I am Walt
    I am using an older version of this pack now. Has great storage capacity, fits well, but after 3+ years one of my side pockets completely shredded through. Now I am wondering whether everything will fall out the bottom of the main storage compartment one day?

Contact Osprey and they will fix or replace it. Lifetime guarantee.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

If you're looking for a shoulder + lumbar solution you should take a look at the Source Outdoor Hipster pack. I almost got one but opted for a lumbar only bag.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/hydrati...hydration-belt

Short-Change-Hero
    Been running the Evoc Race for a few weeks now after breaking my few year old Osprey Raptor 14 on a ride. Originally grabbed the Evoc as for my shorter rides I really donít need the huge Osprey. Wasnít going to buy the bladder but found a good deal on both through backcountry and gear obsession. Think both to my door was less than $80 so I was happy.
    Havenít used the bladder yet but loving the pack, and yes the cinch strap on the water bottle holder doesnít allow for one handed reload. But itís all good as I normally donít drink while moving. I have been able to fit my 700ml camel podium in the strap no problem.
    Pack has been a perfect pack for up to a couple hour rides and sits perfectly. Definitely needs to be tight though.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts about this one? Looks pretty low key. Might be enough for a 1.5 to 2 hour ride?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3KEHWZD1&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXefbbJ5Y4

Bah...ordered one. At 12.99 there isn't much to lose. Good way to see if I'll like a hip pack vs a back pack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    12.99 not bad. You may want to pick up 2 tri glide buckles to fasten the belt. That should help secure the pack on rocky descents.

I picked up a Repack at the beginning of the season and couldn't be happier. It is not the roomiest but it is very comfortable, stays tight, holds enough water, and you can fit the essentials minus a tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Contact Osprey and they will fix or replace it. Lifetime guarantee.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea they had this policy. Cleaned my pack and submitted my form last night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by majorjake View Post
    If you're looking for a shoulder + lumbar solution you should take a look at the Source Outdoor Hipster pack. I almost got one but opted for a lumbar only bag.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/hydrati...hydration-belt

That is the type of pack I would like to add. It may come down to either this Hipster or whether I want to deal with Wingnut and the latterís beat to a different drum approach to customer service.

In the mean time, the Strapettes post above got me searching and I picked up a Mountain Smith Tour for hiking. I suppose I could use it for biking but it looks out of place for mountain biking.

There are a lot of choices out there...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm pretty cheap by nature, so I looked to ebay and bought a hip pack for $8.99 shipping included. Fits my keys, phone, spare tube, mini tool, tire levers and inflator. Going on my third season with it and it's holding up great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Any thoughts about this one? Looks pretty low key. Might be enough for a 1.5 to 2 hour ride?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3KEHWZD1&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXefbbJ5Y4

Bah...ordered one. At 12.99 there isn't much to lose. Good way to see if I'll like a hip pack vs a back pack.
    Got a chance to use it this weekend on a relatively short ride. For the most part...it works pretty well. I mean for the $12.99 I paid. The only thing you may find annoying is that the retracting hose will pinch and slow the flow of the water if you pull too hard. I got around it by just shifting the pack a bit to the right. Pedaling...it really didn't get in the way. The pack sat on the small of my back. Trail I rode wasn't terribly technical. I tried to find the roughest parts of the trail to get it to move around. It seems to stay fairly secure.

It did feel nice not to have a pack on my back on a warm day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Tried out my Mountain Smith Tour Pack with the Strapettes today, what a great pack. Really comfortable fit, high quality waist belt, fit is secure and comfortable. With the Strapettes nice and secure.

I am impressed that I can fit normal size nalgene bottles in the side pockets of the packóseems like a winner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    A new option from Enve + Mission Workshop.

https://enve.com/products/enve-x-mis...kshop-hip-pack

Is it any surprise that it costs $160(!)?

Short-Change-Hero
    Gotten a few rides on the EVOC with the 1.5L bladder. I have to agree with a couple of the reviews on the bladder, the material is so thin and pliable (not breaking) that it can be difficult to load into the pack with it filled with water (think of it like having a water balloon partially filled and flopping around). However, the tube had a quick disconnect right at the back making it easy to not have to worry about pulling the straw all the way out every time you need to fill the bladder. If EVOC added some sort of ridged material to the back of the pack to have it keep a shape (similar to what my OSPREY pack has on it) it would be perfect.

Only other gripe is that the straw/tube does not come with any sort of mechanism to attach it somewhere. So basically you have the tube flopping around unless you tuck it into the waist strap or come up with something else. EVOC does sell a clip with a magnetic tube attachment for it but a couple reviews said that it was too weak a magnet. I found a Camelbak version and will be testing that tonight.

Other than those two gripes I have been very happy with the small pack, pretty much forget it is there except when completely full when I initially start riding, but that is because I have it tightened enough so that when the bladder is half full it sits very comfortably and doesn't flop around. For me, the $80ish I spent on everything has been well worth the money for a quick pack for my shorter rides.

mtbr member
    I don't want to start a new thread, so figured I'd bump this one.

I've been wanting to try the fanny pack thing. Just got a new bike and I now have an in-frame bottle mount. So I was thinking Dakine Hot Laps 2L + extra bottle for my quick after work rides.

After a bit more digging though, I started thinking about the Hot Laps 5L and using the bladder or a combo of bottle on bike plus partial bladder. Offers a bit more room, jacket/gear lashes on the outside, and I might be able to get away with just one big bottle on the bike and ditch the bladder for short rides. But a full bladder + bottle on frame + bigger pack may allow me to extend out to bigger rides without needing the backpack. Seems like a versatile option, but I don't want to end up getting overloaded and negating my whole reason for getting a fanny pack.

Has anyone used both the 2L and 5L and can offer thoughts? Is one more obtrusive than the other? How does the 5L ride with a partial to full bladder?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Has anyone used both the 2L and 5L and can offer thoughts? Is one more obtrusive than the other? How does the 5L ride with a partial to full bladder?
    Iíve commented in this thread before and Iíll say it again. The 2L is all thatís needed for 90% of my rides. It helped me realize I was drinking to much water when I had a hose and I was diluting the salt in my system and causing cramping around the three hour mark. Tried the CB palos 4L and found the water around the waist to uncomfortable and unstable when moving over technical terrain. Huge fan of the 2L and had the older smaller one and just picked up the current model which is slightly bigger. Two water bottles is almost overkill for all but the longest 4hour+ epics. My legs stop working long before Iím out of water and the weight of the back is a game changer in of itself. Pick up the 2L and donít look back.

mtbr member
    Iíve commented in this thread before and Iíll say it again. The 2L is all thatís needed for 90% of my rides. It helped me realize I was drinking to much water when I had a hose and I was diluting the salt in my system and causing cramping around the three hour mark. Tried the CB palos 4L and found the water around the waist to uncomfortable and unstable when moving over technical terrain. Huge fan of the 2L and had the older smaller one and just picked up the current model which is slightly bigger. Two water bottles is almost overkill for all but the longest 4hour+ epics. My legs stop working long before Iím out of water and the weight of the back is a game changer in of itself. Pick up the 2L and donít look back.
    Thanks for the comment. Interesting. I alsways have a hydration pack so I've never tracked my water usage that closely, and instead always just carry more than I need. I am leaning towards the smaller one though with a bottle or two on the bike/pack for my short rides. Then on longer/hotter rides and can just go with a backpack.

mtbr member
    found the water around the waist to uncomfortable and unstable when moving over technical terrain.
    I'm currently running the EVOC 3L Hip Pack and find that it's a lot more stable if I put the strap over my jersey, rather than just around my waist with the jersey over the bag. Obviously a different bag and everything but I was really annoyed at first until I started going over the jersey. Now it stays put for the most part.

I actually opted for the EVOC since it has the option for the bladder or a bottle. I use the bottle on my before work rides, the bladder for medium rides, and only use a backpack for the really long (or really hot - damn you Phoenix summers!) days.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!