Now with flavor!!

Hightop/ankle support SPD shoes?

Just got the OK to go bikey bikey again in regards to a torn ankle ligament. I basically need to avoid the motion that killed it in the first place....rolling it inward. My current dh shoes are low tops and that should probably change. I went dirtjumping this weekend with a canvas ankle brace and a some high top vans and that felt pretty solid.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything comparable with an spd sole. The only ones I can think of right now are the specialized sawpits but even with all the carbon hooplah, those felt pretty flimsy for the (high) price. Looking for something like that which will cover the ankle bone (not like the hematomas).

Any ideas or personal experience?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Just got the OK to go bikey bikey again in regards to a torn ankle ligament. I basically need to avoid the motion that killed it in the first place....rolling it inward. My current dh shoes are low tops and that should probably change. I went dirtjumping this weekend with a canvas ankle brace and a some high top vans and that felt pretty solid.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything comparable with an spd sole. The only ones I can think of right now are the specialized sawpits but even with all the carbon hooplah, those felt pretty flimsy for the (high) price. Looking for something like that which will cover the ankle bone (not like the hematomas).

Any ideas or personal experience?
    What about those Sidi DH boots?
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    What about those Sidi DH boots?
    I knew someone was going to say it.

I only wear those with a mini skirt (FM boots yo) and I never wear mini skirts for DH'n (anymore) and so they are therefore incompatible with my intended purpose.

Glad to Be Alive
    canvas ankle brace???? the ones that lace up???

When I was having problems I ran the ace elastic ankle brace, and the canvas ankle brace together. Plus some 40 dollar pair of nike high top basketball shoes laced very tight. My ankle works fine after about 10 years of problems (basketball) I can even ride without a brace for the first time. This is after i could barely walk after rides. The stiffness lets your ankle heal fast. Ice will help your ankle heal faster too after you ride. Mostly I just run the elastic ones only now, but if i tweak it, then it is back to the triple..... elastic, canvas ties, and the high tops by nike

here is the link of the elastic

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...7&CATID=100127

BTW neophrane is too hot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    canvas ankle brace???? the ones that lace up???
    The one I'm using has two cross straps that try to duplicate a wrapped ankle and then laces over those. It's actually really good for stabilization. But I'm looking for a sturdy shoe to go on top of that. I want this thing pretty much locked.

I'm not sure the elastic is going to do much for immobilization.........

Nikes would be good but like I said, I need an spd shoe.

Glad to Be Alive
    The one I'm using has two cross straps that try to duplicate a wrapped ankle and then laces over those. It's actually really good for stabilization. But I'm looking for a sturdy shoe to go on top of that. I want this thing pretty much locked.

I'm not sure the elastic is going to do much for immobilization.........

Nikes would be good but like I said, I need an spd shoe.
    Use the elastic as an extra added support.... not alone

here is the laced up canvas braces I use.....these have been used for basketball players for years because it works...scroll down and read all 411
    http://www.ankleshop.com/muelleraft.htm

here is a whole page
    http://www.kneeplace.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    I use the 661 Ankle Biters.

I had the same decision...brace or hightop shoe.
    Problem is that the real hightops that actually offer support are usually basketball type shoes and the soles are never flat enough to grip a pedal. And, the skate type hightop shoes don't offer real support.

I use the 661 ankle biter but there are a few other brands out there. I even found some that were non bike related at Sport Chalet for cheap.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

Now with flavor!!
    That's what mine look like except with the added two crossover straps.

I've owned those in the past though. What I have is equivalent or better.

check this out......someone linked to it on ridemonkey.

www.activeankle.com

Looks promising in terms of preventing the roll I'm trying to avoid.

Glad to Be Alive
    That's what mine look like except with the added two crossover straps.

I've owned those in the past though. What I have is equivalent or better.

check this out......someone linked to it on ridemonkey.

www.activeankle.com

Looks promising in terms of preventing the roll I'm trying to avoid.
    those are very nice too. The lace ones work just as good, but it is your call...

I do recommend running the elastic underneath

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    those are very nice too. The lace ones work just as good, but it is your call...

I do recommend running the elastic underneath
    Actually my last response was directed at you. I'm down with the lace ups. That's what I've been using on my other ankle that I destroyed even worse last summer.

Thanks for the help.

still looking for shoes though......

Glad to Be Alive
    Actually my last response was directed at you. I'm down with the lace ups. That's what I've been using on my other ankle that I destroyed even worse last summer.

Thanks for the help.

well the basketball high tops are really thick not flimsy like the vans.......another thing about ankles...wear your brace at all times. When your ankle stops hurting after you ride...then wear it 100 more days. That is a great rule of thumb for injuries to the ankle. At one point my ankle was so bad, I pushed in the clutch and sprain it real bad...like I said above. I can finally stop wearing a brace to ride after 10 years of problems...usually i still ride with the Elastic ones though (95% of the time)

I wanna talk to Samson!

What about 661 then? I seem to remember high top skate-esque style shoes that were spd compatible.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    What about 661 then? I seem to remember high top skate-esque style shoes that were spd compatible.
    That's one option. A friend of mine had a pair of those last year and ripped out the spd mount though. Don't remember which model. He said they were too soft of a sole before they broke anyway.