mtbr member
    Mar 2012

High Quality Helmet?

Looking for a new helmet for mostly single track and road use..

What have you guys had luck with?

DynoDon
    Read Crash Test U-Vex Xp helmet in posted earler today, that is a great helmet, from Germany, it sure saved me, and the 2011 helmet is on sale at R.E.I. for $49.. great looking, bug protection, good fit, and it works when needed. I just ordered another one.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All helmets are safe, must meet standards. You pay the extra $ for more comfortable padding, better air flow, and style. Some are designed for multiple impacts, most just once.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Spend some money buy a Specialized Deviant, it's a heavily ventaliated full face helmet:

I strongly suggest using a full face helmet because I've actually taken someone to the ER after she faceplanted. It's better to have proper protection beforehand rather than finding AFTER you crash. Note that you can remove the cheek to piece to facilate more comfortable breathing.

Another suggestion would be the Met Parachute:

It's by far and away the most comfortable full face I've ever used, even in 90 degree weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just bought a Garneu helmet. I'd stay clever from them. I'm returning mine. Not comfortable and odd design choices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ive never really been a fan of garneu either.

The specialized looks awesome but im not sure i want to go the full face route (although i have taken a buddy to the er who took a bite out of a low hanging branch once...)

Is the lower part of the met removable?

I think id like something that is equally comfortable on a 100 mile tour or in the middle of the woods..
    Maybe a higher end bell or giro is my best bet?

appreciate the feedback!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think imight swing by rei today to check out the uvex, seems reasonably priced for what you get.

Anyone had any luck on ebay with helmets?

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by Grk224 View Post

Yes, found this sweet deal! Happy AFD!
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I think imight swing by rei today to check out the uvex, seems reasonably priced for what you get.

I would not do that unless you are replacing a helmet you already own... fit is VERY important to a helmet... hit up some local stores and try them. buy the one you like. In a few yrs if you need to replace it then hit Ebay or online places for the replacement but don't be the ****** that goes to the store and tries it, then goes online and buys.. At least ask the shop to come close to the online price if there is a big diff in cost.

I always wanted to try one of those Met one's but need to fit it first. I wont buy another helmet without getting to fit it to my skull... made that mistake once.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I would not do that unless you are replacing a helmet you already own... fit is VERY important to a helmet... hit up some local stores and try them. buy the one you like. In a few yrs if you need to replace it then hit Ebay or online places for the replacement but don't be the ****** that goes to the store and tries it, then goes online and buys.. At least ask the shop to come close to the online price if there is a big diff in cost.

I always wanted to try one of those Met one's but need to fit it first. I wont buy another helmet without getting to fit it to my skull... made that mistake once.

Yea, wouldnt be the first time I sacrificed proper fit for ebay price... Probably not a good idea with a helmet.. Most helmets seem to allow for a good amount of adjustment though so I figured I'd be ok with a "medium".

I've got 3 or 4 LBS that I frequent but I have not been overly impressed with their selection or prices for helmets. I actually really like my giro somethin or rather with the twist-dial for sizing, I just wanted to have another "quality" extra for when I take buddies with me so I figured I'd get me a nice one.

Looks like I'll have to spend a day biking around all the bike shops in Minneapolis till I find the right fit. Bummer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post

Yes, found this sweet deal! Happy AFD!

I like how there is a helmet mounted to the front

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Yea, wouldnt be the first time I sacrificed proper fit for ebay price... Probably not a good idea with a helmet.. Most helmets seem to allow for a good amount of adjustment though so I figured I'd be ok with a "medium".

I've got 3 or 4 LBS that I frequent but I have not been overly impressed with their selection or prices for helmets. I actually really like my giro somethin or rather with the twist-dial for sizing, I just wanted to have another "quality" extra for when I take buddies with me so I figured I'd get me a nice one.

Looks like I'll have to spend a day biking around all the bike shops in Minneapolis till I find the right fit. Bummer
    ya, it's not so much "size" and shape... I've had helmets that sit funny and hurt the top of my head... felt like there was a flat rock or board between my skull and the pads. I got kinda a cone head though
    Giro's have been about the most compfy to me, I did have a super cheapo no name back in the day that was like $19.. still out on my garage as a spare but man, that was a comfortable helmet.. was just shape right.

Ya, it sucks with some of the smaller shops as they can't afford to keep but a small selection of stuff in stock... REI and EMS usually have a decent selection if you have one of those types a places around.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know what you mean about the "shape". I am just assuming that based on the $40 price tag (40% off sale) of my Giro there has too be something better.

Maybe they are only prettier though...

Will have to keep my eyes open I guess.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I know what you mean about the "shape". I am just assuming that based on the $40 price tag (40% off sale) of my Giro there has too be something better.

Maybe they are only prettier though...

Will have to keep my eyes open I guess.
    look at the giro Zen, hex.. Zar's they are pricy, but i got to say my Zen is way better vented than any other helmet I've tried. can actually feel the air flow my hair even at slower speeds. Just wish they'd put a bug screen in nuttin worse than creepy crawlies wiggling around in the helmet

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is the lower part of the met removable?

I think id like something that is equally comfortable on a 100 mile tour or in the middle of the woods..
    Maybe a higher end bell or giro is my best bet?

Yes the lower part of the Met Parachute is removable. In effect the Met is a full face xc helmet. It's probably the lightests and most comfortable full face I've come across by far. In fact I've used the Met Parachute while riding with the fixie's on my cross bike without any problems.

The Specialized is a well ventilated downhill capable helmet they key is the jawpiece it sticks out more and enables you to breathe better, I have a Giro Remedy as well and the Specialized is far more comfortable,especially if you remove the cheekpiece. However Specialized is still a downhill helmet so it's going to be a bit bulkier most cross country lids out there.

If you're concerned about weight and comfort I would say go with the Met. It's hardly any more cumbersome than a regular XC and could save you from this:

MTB crash at 40km/h - Lifesaver MET Parachute - YouTube

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my Fox Flux

mtbr member
    MET Kaos. Looks very well, good ventilation. But there's no bug protection =(

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by yurkiy View Post
    MET Kaos. Looks very well, good ventilation. But there's no bug protection =(
    ya,.. think I'm going to have to design my own helmet screen cap

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegfab View Post
    What the hell is with that fin looking thing on the back though? Maybe it just looks odd online..

Is the Met Kaos adjustable on the inside? I see prices rangin from $50 to $189.. What did you pay out of curiosity?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Some explanation about MET Kaos. There're several models exist in that line. I know about Kaos and Kaos UL. Second one is lighter and more expensive (about $190-$200).

I've bought mine Kaos for about $100. And it was happen 2 years ago.
    Adjustable pads must bee in the set with helmet, as I remember.

mtbr member
    Honestly I never noticed the fin lol...must look goofy online.

EDITED:...you made me go downstairs and look at it...it does look a little odd
    Last edited by Bootlegfab; 04-05-2012 at 01:29 AM.

DynoDon
    High Quality Helment in what reguard? Expensive, effective, performance, looks, options i.e. I pod, air bags, med alert, or one that will save your head in a accident, I had a German U-vex XP 100, crashed at 27.9 mph, smashed he helmet, survived without a scratch on my head, a broken clavical, bruised ribs and bruised ego, but the helmet provided the best release system I've ever seen, more rear head protection then helmets at much more the cost, R.E.I. has the 2011s on sale now for $49.00, the new ones are less then $100.00, here is are pics of the helmet afterer the crash, and a vid of the crash on the Potto trail in Hell, Michigan.. High Quality to say the least...I'm only 65 yrs old.
    P3290008.jpg picture by manabiker - Photobucket
    P3290009.jpg picture by manabiker - Photobucket
    http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...P3290007-1.jpg
    P3280006.mp4 video by manabiker - Photobucket

Spend more money if you like, but this one worked when needed... Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Specialized Prevail.. None above and no one next to.

I love mine. Fantastic helmet. Superb comfort, very high ventilation, super low weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The UVEX XP 100 and Bell Variant have been very good to me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegfab View Post
    +1 to this, best helmet I've owned. Very comfy.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates