mtbr member

Help with MTB shoes

Hi All: I have a pair of Lake Carbon road shoes that fit well and I've ridden about 1000 miles on...I never have any foot discomfort with them.

I then got a pair of Lake MX202 MTB shoes and over two years have ridden about 800 miles on them (with the original non-anatomic liner). Originally they were also quite comfortable, but over the past few months, I've developed a lot of discomfort in my left foot. It feels like there's a lump in the shoe pressing into the middle of my arch, or as if the shoe is flexing downward at the heel and bending up in that position.

The shoe, however, seems completely rigid when I examine it, and of course there's no lump where I feel the pressure. I've tried moving the cleat forward and back with no relief. I haven't had this problem with the road shoes, and the sole design seems very similar between the two.

Over the past two years, I've been steadily increasing my weekly mileage both on and off-road, but it's still less than 200 miles a week, with no changes in my riding style or gear. Oh yeah...and I've gotten two years older, so now I'm in my 40s

Has anyone else experienced this type of discomfort, and do they have any suggestions? Orthotics? Different shoes? Amputation? Any podiatrists out there?

I don't want to start spending money on new shoes if they're not going to help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Pinched nerve?

LOL, amputation would certainly be a possibilty. Before you go there.
    Did you think about the possibility of a weirdly pinched nerve. Sending wrong information up the chain of command.
    Get a second pair. Unless you live in the desert you possibly wanted one anyway.

BTW, Lake is a good shoe. Can be ridden, like in, forever, unless you ride for green.

mtbr member
    I'm no gynecologist but i'll take a look.

You have two bones on the bottom of your foot, under and to the rear of the ball of your foot. These are called Sesamoid Bones, Tibial and Fibular. They resemble sesame seeds. They protect the Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon which runs between them on the bottom of your foot. The bones also increase the mechanical advantage of your Flexor Hallucis Breveis (foot muscle). It is possible that you you may have stress fractured one of these bones causing a small amount of inflamation which can effect the foot. Most of the time the sympoms are described as, "I feel like I have a rock in my shoe", to,"I feel like my arch is cramping". There is not normally any edema (swelling) at the site due to the size of the affected parts but you may have tenderness at the site. Go see your family Doc or a Podiatrist. If you do have a medical issue it will only get worse if not treated. The bones can be fractred in a number of ways without any noticeable trauma and may appear "Ratty" or "Tattered" in an xray. Go see a Doc. Just Kidding I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by hurtman; 06-10-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.

mtbr member

Downhill2004

Did you ever find out what your major malfunction was???
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.