Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    157

    Help me determine if my new helmet fits right?

    Just got a new Bell sweep from Jenson. The helmet feels good and is very light. Much better than the X-Ray I sent back. The quesion I have is about sizing. I bought a medium this time based on a reccomendation for the LBS. I'm a little concerend about coverage though. There is a lot more open space on the side of my head and the back of my head, and I feel really exposed compared to my trsuty old Bell (not even sure what model). On the side of the helmet there is about 2" exposed.

    Can someone please post a picture of what a good fit should look like from the front and rear, or at least point me in the right direction. I know a lot of this is subjective, but I'm wondering if I should send the medium back for a large, just so the helmet covers a little more of my head.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,659
    No I can't post a picture of a good fit, but I can tell you that those areas that are exposed on your helmet are exposed on mine(to a different extent, but still exposed). The large size will be bigger in diameter and won't necessarily go further down the sides or back. It will protect you from most falls. If you feel you need full coverage I suggest you go to a full face dh helmet, a skate/bmx helmet. It'll give more coverage like you seek, but will be much warmer.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    425

    Stop fussing with mail order.

    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    Just got a new Bell sweep from Jenson. The helmet feels good and is very light. Much better than the X-Ray I sent back. The quesion I have is about sizing. I bought a medium this time based on a reccomendation for the LBS. I'm a little concerend about coverage though. There is a lot more open space on the side of my head and the back of my head, and I feel really exposed compared to my trsuty old Bell (not even sure what model). On the side of the helmet there is about 2" exposed.

    Can someone please post a picture of what a good fit should look like from the front and rear, or at least point me in the right direction. I know a lot of this is subjective, but I'm wondering if I should send the medium back for a large, just so the helmet covers a little more of my head.

    Thanks
    Why not just buy a helmet at the LBS that was trying to help you and not have to fuss about it and BTW throws a couple bucks to the guy.

    Mail order is for people who KNOW what they are doing. You don't. Pay for the advice you need by paying the local retail. Sheesh. You're trying to save a couple bucks and are spending more in shipping and wasting other people's time.

    Ron

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic
    Why not just buy a helmet at the LBS that was trying to help you and not have to fuss about it and BTW throws a couple bucks to the guy.

    Mail order is for people who KNOW what they are doing. You don't. Pay for the advice you need by paying the local retail. Sheesh. You're trying to save a couple bucks and are spending more in shipping and wasting other people's time.

    Ron

    Hey Troll,

    Thanks for the impractical advice. My local bike shop carries only low end Trek model helmets. Nothing past the $60 price point, and they don't stock anything made by Bell. Obviously I would prefer to try the helmet on first. The same goes for shoes. Furthermore, I said nothing about price in my original post - maybe you should actually read the post instead of making weak assumptions. Cash is not the issue - availability is. Next time keep your opinion to yourself unless you have something useful to add to the topic. "Sheesh." Don't bother wasting my time responding to this post if you find it so offensive.
    Last edited by igere; 07-24-2005 at 10:14 AM.

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,289
    Lack of coverage of current "high-end" helmets is a peeve of mine. It makes the helmets lighter and cooler but they offer less protection and are less likely to stay in place.

    95% of the time I wear a Giro Semi.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Lack of coverage of current "high-end" helmets is a peeve of mine. It makes the helmets lighter and cooler but they offer less protection and are less likely to stay in place.

    95% of the time I wear a Giro Semi.

    My old Bell (can't remember the model - 99) finally gave up the ghost a few weekends back. Relatively light fall, but a small structural crack in the rear of the helmet were the impact was - this is why I'm so concerned about coverage. My new Sweep XC would have left a lot more of my head exposed to the rock. I've been looking at a few Giro models online as well (e2, pnuemo, atmos), but you seem to be right... most of the higher end models appear to offer less protection, especially in the rear. Eh, but then again, what do I know? After all, I surely don't KNOW what I'm looking for in a helmet!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrekFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    753
    i dont think ronsonic was being a troll. his advice is sound. if you have basic questions about simple things like the fit of a helmet, then mail order is perhaps not for you at this time. you'd be better served going somewhere where they can help you with the fit. it would be the same advice if i were to buy a suit. i know nothing about the fitting of a suit, other than my waist size. rather than buying a suit online and making guesses at the size and fit, i'd rather go to a tailor and have them help me out. there should be no offense taken at the advice...

    as for the fit of a helmet, you'll know whether it fits or not the first time you go sailing over the handlebars. if the helmet stays in place, it fits. if it moves around and you crack your skull, then it probably didnt fit

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    i dont think ronsonic was being a troll. his advice is sound. if you have basic questions about simple things like the fit of a helmet, then mail order is perhaps not for you at this time. you'd be better served going somewhere where they can help you with the fit. it would be the same advice if i were to buy a suit. i know nothing about the fitting of a suit, other than my waist size. rather than buying a suit online and making guesses at the size and fit, i'd rather go to a tailor and have them help me out. there should be no offense taken at the advice...

    as for the fit of a helmet, you'll know whether it fits or not the first time you go sailing over the handlebars. if the helmet stays in place, it fits. if it moves around and you crack your skull, then it probably didnt fit

    Again, small LBS, limited inventory, nothing to try on. I obviously know how to measure my head, I'm between a large and medium... my question was more specifically related to coverage of the helmet shell. I should have been more clear in my original post. I was trying to differentiate how much coverage difference there would be between a medium and large shell... i.e overall coverage.
    Last edited by igere; 07-24-2005 at 06:49 PM.

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,289
    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    ...I was trying to differentiate how much coverage difference there would be between a medium and large shell... i.e overall coverage.
    Almost no difference unless you can not even get the medium all the way on your head.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a new helmet
    By Raptordude in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 08:24 PM
  2. Wiped out today, helmet saved my lid...
    By shabbasuraj in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
  3. 661 bravo helmet problem
    By DesertYeti in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
  4. Giro Xen Who has used it
    By gtbikesalltheway in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 10:01 PM
  5. Need helmet advice
    By 006_007 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •