mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New question here. Help me be a cheapy with cold weather gear.

Hello all,

Just rode in a balmy 28 F weather with 2"-4" of snow in certain areas. Let me tell you that was an experience! Was tough going over the rock garden without the snow, now it was more of point and pray type of riding!

Ok, so as the title suggests, I realize the need for specialized gear, especially for cold weather, and I do have tech shirts and a very light jacket that is breathable, but as for down lower, nada. I would like to get some windproof gear, but am between jobs and can't justify spending $100 for pants so that I can ride. I do have sweat pants, but I would imagine that I would get really soaked after a while and become very uncomfortable.

So for all those cheapies out there, what do you guys/gals do?

Thanks,
    Ken

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Pict of our ride

Trail was clear here, but other areas had more snow on the ground. Fun ride though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me be a cheapy with cold weather gear.-winter-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks sloppy and wet and cold. I've never liked 'trying' to stay dry with hard shells and have invested in wool and synthetics for layers. On the cheap? Maybe get some used wool/polyester pants at the local goodwill to keep the wind off your legs? Peg 'em or get straps/string to secure the cuffs. Check your nearest Ross-sometimes they have cheap athletic wear as well (maybe you can find some synthetic tights or polar fleece pants). It's my feet that always suffer in these conditions. Cheapest option is to get an inexpensive set of flat pedals and wear your hiking shoes with wool/synthetic socks.

mtbr member
    I second Ross..I got a couple of pairs of running pants there..one of the was made for winter with a liner on the inside..I got them both last year..I have yet to try them..I live in NC and the winters are normally pretty mild...Ive ridden in the snow a couple of times..and I layered with a REI base layer and a pair of running pants I got from REI and was fine...but that was a while ago..but try Ross...you might have to go there a few times..I would go every couple of weeks til I found what I wanted..because that place seems to have some cool stuff at times and then nothing for a while.

I think I got both the pants from $10-20.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Just Ride!
    I highly recommend the Bellwether Wind Front Tight usually sale priced in the $55-65 range. I have been using a pair of these for about five years with great success. I ride all winter with these and will only stop riding when the temp get's below 15F, not because the pants stop working, but because my toes get too cold. Just as the name implies, they block the wind in front and vent very well out the back. They are very durable and can be worn in other situations without looking like cycling tights.

mtbr member
    you can get whole gear cheap but shoes. unfortunately, keeping toes toasty is most important, at least for me. you can layer pants and tops if you need to but shoes you can put sock and maybe toe warmer and thats it. while it might work for a while your toes still going to freeze eventually. you can get cheap tops and pants in target, ross as mentioned, tj max. but shoes would be one thing i wouldnt go cheap.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I know this sounds crazy, and I'm not sure what all winter gear they carry right now but Old Navy has really nice cheap athletic clothing. It might be worth a try to go see what they have. I've only bought shorts and dryfit shirts but I bet they have the winter fitness covered too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You could always ditch the clip less pedals and throw on flat pedals / boots to keep you feet warm.
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I use XC ski pants I got on sale at REI. And a wicking base layer when it gets like 10 degrees or lower. If you don't have winter SPD shoes, get flats and wear boots.

I just scored a Gore Phantom SO jacket for $75 on Backcountry. 55% off! That will do just fine with a layer or two below, down to about 20 I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Try Target, they carry champion branded athletic wear. Bought a LS 3/4 zip water repellant fleece lined shirt for $25.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah,sounds crazy, and I'm not sure what all winter gear they carry right now but Old Navy has really nice cheap athletic clothing

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like goodwill/ used clothing stores for wool sweaters and some type of wind/ running pants.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just buy cycling tights and merino wool socks. Then you just need a mid layer for under the jacket, perhaps a cycling vest and some decent autumn or winter gloves. My ski gloves don't work well, not enough dexterity so use merino liners under my autumn gloves for the colder days but I rarely get out below 25 degrees here in AZ.
    If the merino cycling socks aren't enough shoe covers and winter shoes wil cost you.
    agmtb