Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet. POC, XAR, 661?

I am currently using the Specialized S3 for trail riding. While it is really light, I don't feel like it is protective enough - not to mention it is a little uncomfortable.

I want to buy a very light trail lid with good back of the head coverage. The three that look interesting are POC race, XAR and the sixsixone recon. I don't know much about the 661, but it is lighter than the others at 300gr.

Any thoughts or experience would be much appreciated. Also, let me know if I should be looking at anything else?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet. POC, XAR, 661?

I guess it would depend on the shape of your head. I came from a Fox Flux then switched to a POC Trabec. I really really like the fit of the POC. It sits well comfortably in my head and forehead, I like how the straps and adjustments snug up, it's well ventilated and xcolor options are great. Really comfy helmet and pretty light too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got the Kali Avita, I was looking for the same things in a helmet, and this one fits my head better than the others. I forget I have it on after a ride until I try getting in the car, offers better back of head protection as well.
    http://kaliprotectives.com/bike/avita-pc
    They also make it in a carbon version, though mine is pretty light @ 300g.
    http://kaliprotectives.com/bike/avita-texalium

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I am currently using the Specialized S3 for trail riding. While it is really light, I don't feel like it is protective enough - not to mention it is a little uncomfortable.

I want to buy a very light trail lid with good back of the head coverage. The three that look interesting are POC race, XAR and the sixsixone recon. I don't know much about the 661, but it is lighter than the others at 300gr.

Any thoughts or experience would be much appreciated. Also, let me know if I should be looking at anything else?
    As always with helmets, it is all about the fit.

POC fits my head. Fox Flux and most Giros do not. Kali basically fits, but sits way too high with no back/side coverage. Want to try the Bell Super.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If you're looking high end, the POC Trabec is nice and MIPS technology is great. Fit and finish are awesome but doesnt fit my head so well.

The new Troy Lee Designs helmet looks great as does the Urge Enduro or All-M. The Lazer Oasiz is another nice trail helmet. These are all more boutique models that you probably wont see too many of at the trailhead but are the brands I think of when think of high end MTB helmets. I think Rudy Projects just came out with a 'trail' helmet as well.

Ninja Master Powers
    Plus 1 on the TLD A1. I replaced my flux with it and just bought one for my son.

Pricey but at least to me worth every penny.

mtbr member

Re: Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet. POC, XAR, 661?

You should definitely try before you buy.
    Xar fits me the best. Poc and Lazer doesn't. Troy Lee fits me very well, but sits very low onmy forehead and obstructs the proper position of my glasses.
    Try them with your glasses on...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The Xar is as little coverage as any helmet I have put on my head. It LOOKS like it should come down far in the back, but that is because in fact in comes up so high on the sides.

I have a Xen and it is similar in this regard, but I find the Xar even more so.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The Xar is as little coverage as any helmet I have put on my head. It LOOKS like it should come down far in the back, but that is because in fact in comes up so high on the sides.

I have a Xen and it is similar in this regard, but I find the Xar even more so.
    Yup. Check how much of the head clamp devices you can see at the back of the helmets. Gives you a good idea how far down the back really goes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    +3 on the TLD A-1. Great venting, light, good visor. I totally forget I'm wearing it. Also, it probably fits an oval shape better than a round, I say that because I'm considered a long oval in men's hats and the A-1 fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just moved off a fox flux to a catlike leaf and you completely forget you have it on, vents really well and is super comfortable.

banned
    Apr 2013
    I am currently using RS-16 OPEN FACE HELMET BLACK for my riding. It is one of the best, open face helmet until now. It's perfect on my head. You can also try different open face helmets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks everyone for your input as it was very helpful. I ordered up the 661 Recon Stealth. I like the coverage and the price. I will let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Although I love the look and fit of my Recon, I've noticed that it channels the sweat into my eyes. I also have a Giro Hex that I use regularly, but that channels the sweat down the bridge of my nose, so I use it more. I wonder if it's just the shape of my head that makes it do this. Any other Recon owners have this issue?
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

pin it
    My hubby just purchased the TLD all mountain helmet. And loves it.

Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet.  POC, XAR, 661?-13tld_a1_cyclops_gold_leftfrnt.jpg

Here are the specs
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0404-07
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    My hubby just purchased the TLD all mountain helmet. And loves it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13TLD_A1_CYCLOPS_GOLD_LEFTFRNT.jpg 
Views:	773 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	797519

Here are the specs
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0404-07
    Me too! Gotta love the colorway!

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Although I love the look and fit of my Recon, I've noticed that it channels the sweat into my eyes. I also have a Giro Hex that I use regularly, but that channels the sweat down the bridge of my nose, so I use it more. I wonder if it's just the shape of my head that makes it do this. Any other Recon owners have this issue?
    I'll offer this: I believe that many helmets, including the A-1 have air (cooling) channels that extend down the forehead. While it does make for a cooler helmet there is no provision for water collection or channeling. My Urge Enduromatic has a huge padded area in the front that absorbs most of the sweat and keeps it out of my eyes quite well, however it's hot as Hades, which is why I went to the A-1.
    In the past I have used a "sweat gutter" type device when running and it was very effective at just this problem, so I would suggest something like this as a possible solution.

Teach me! :-)
    Hey, Checkout the Giro Feature. Great weight, very comfortabe and great 'back of the head' protection.

Plus its a good bit cheaper than the POC.

Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet.  POC, XAR, 661?-giro_feature_matt_black_mtb_helmet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jamjunky View Post
    Hey, Checkout the Giro Feature. Great weight, very comfortabe and great 'back of the head' protection.

Plus its a good bit cheaper than the POC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giro_Feature_matt_black_MTB_Helmet.jpg 
Views:	2951 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	798899
    If it fits. If the Feature fits you, the POC will not, and vice versa.
    mtbtires.com

OSM
    mtbr member
    I recently switched to a Specialized Tactic 2 as my main lid. There are many new helmets out that meet this enduro/AM style and I tried on at least a dozen different models when shopping. The Troy Lee is clearly sweet but expensive. I do crash and I do need to replace my helmets about every year, maybe 2 years. IMO Lazer's Rollsys system is the most comfy I have found and use a clash often. A nice thing about the Rollsys is that you can tighten the knob to release some sweat build up. I never ride without a HALO headband though. I hate getting sweat on my glasses. My biggest pet peeve about the newer helmets is how/where the straps connect to the back of the lid. I like them to be separated and not just 2 straps that split out from the same spot. When I put on my helmet I don't want to have to fumble any straps around.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just got my Bell Super in. Feels great so far, but I haven't hit the trails yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    MET fits my head best. Bell would be a distance 2nd. All others like Giro, Specialized just didn't sit or feel right. Fit is everything when it comes to a helmet.

Cow Clicker
    Step 1: Go to the bike shop
    Step 2: Try on helmets
    Step 3: Pay for it
    Step 4: Enjoy
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Step 1: Go to the bike shop
    Step 2: Try on helmets
    Step 3: Pay for it
    Step 4: Enjoy
    Step 2.5: find one that fits
    mtbtires.com

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My LBS/Internet retailer just got their first Bell Super Mountain in and I tried it on since I am in the market for a better coverage helmet. The Giro Feature fits but feels crappy on my head. The TLD A1 feels good and as mentioned above, rides lower on your dome and is sized as a Med/Lg in the same shell where the others are specifically Sm, Md, Lg. It's very comfortable but that hideous Gold Flake color makes me feel like I should be wearing a Grill on my teeth and chroming all the parts on my bike. The Bell Super Mountain is a real nice combination of fit/feel/finish for my head (intermediate oval) and isn't far off the mark that the TLD A1 sets but at $40 more in it's price point. I'm buying the Bell as soon as possible. Gotta love the GoPro adapter that comes with, too! They also have a great range of colors.

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on a Bell Super Enduro today. No one local had one to try but I have owned a Bell before and it fit well. Of the other 3 I was looking at none of those could be tried on locally either so its a gamble either way.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast