Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Helmets with a little more coverage -

Coming from the off-road motorcycle world, I always thought MTB helmets appeared to lack enough protection. But in buying my first "real" MTB a few years ago, I just bought a good Bell (ok, average Bell) and just rode.

Now I'm getting more and more into the MTB, I recently realized that I need to buy a new one, and this time I'm putting more thought into it.

From research I've done so far, the only two stand-out helmets with more-than-average-protection are the Giro Xen and the Fox Flux - correct? Any others?

Like I said I'd like to get one with the typical MTB-related ventilation, but have more skate-style coverage, without going to a full-on downhill full-face of course. Actually I'm sure they're hot for XC, but I'm kinda surprised that XC helmets haven't evolved into a more comprehensive design like a DH full-face. I always feel a little insecure hauling the mail down the mountain with a little half-helmet.

And as a side note - as I read through some of the helmet reviews on here, I can't believe what some people are saying. Example: "I crashed really hard last weekend, hit my head HARD and the helmet doesn't even have a scratch - this helmet will last me forever." A good client of mine manufacturers motorcycle helmets; so I always preach a few rules-of-thumb to my riding buddies and may as well here too: I'm sure most of you realize that helmets are only meant to last 2-3 years max (and thats without any major impacts). And if you crash and hit your head - throw it away and buy a new one (this is at least the case for MX helmets - I'm almost certain the same logic carries over).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You are correct about bike helmets, they are good for one crash and one crash only. Looking at those helmets, I might consider the Fox Flux when I break my current one. The extra protection on the lower back of the head looks nice.

I ride with a traditional mtb helmet (roadie helmet with a visor). I'm not worried as much about my jaw and don't get smacked in the face with branches too much with the type of riding I do. So I don't think I'd need a full face either.

I've had some people teaching me the ins and outs of mx, and I definitely like the full face on the track.

mtbr member
    I have a Fox Flux and the Giro Xen - great ventilation as well as the extra coverage make them both a great helmet.

The Fox has a bit better coverage (just a tad more - I wear the Flux exclusively).

I think you'd be happy with either.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Great - I'll get out somewhere to try on a Flux this weekend. The 08 styles are running around at a decent price here and there.

And yeah EMTnate - full-face helmets aren't even an option in moto anymore. The old-school open-face helmet vanished in the mid 80s and for a good reason.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I find the Flux and Xen still have less coverage than I like. I still have a couple of Giro Semis (discontinued) that are my benchmark for good protection and reasonable airflow. Last year I picked up a ProTec Cyphon, Almost as much coverage as the Semi, better venting and a tougher outer shell.

I will be getting a new one as I used up the old Cyphon last Sunday
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Hey!
    You are alive....

I heard things got "a bit nasty" on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Hey!
    You are alive....

I heard things got "a bit nasty" on sunday.
    I am and it did. Healing up just fine. The Cyphon protected everything it was designed to.
    mtbtires.com

those are Rollercams...
    I find the Flux and Xen still have less coverage than I like. I still have a couple of Giro Semis (discontinued) that are my benchmark for good protection and reasonable airflow. Last year I picked up a ProTec Cyphon, Almost as much coverage as the Semi, better venting and a tougher outer shell.

Hey Don,

Glad to hear you're okay! BTW, you were the guy who clued me in to the Semi.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just got the Bell Sweep XC MTB Helmet, it provides a good amount of coverage...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxCutts8
    I just got the Bell Sweep XC MTB Helmet, it provides a good amount of coverage...
    Try my test for whether a helmet fits you and provides real protection:

Place helmet on head.
    Do not fasten the chin strap.
    Do not tighten the "head clamp".
    Bend over and look at your feet.
    If the helmet falls off, it is not up to the job.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Hey Don,

Glad to hear you're okay! BTW, you were the guy who clued me in to the Semi.
    Thanks, Chris. The Cyphon would look great covered with maple leaves.
    mtbtires.com

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Cyphon is currently very limited in colors and sizes until next years production.....so I picked up the Flux and like it alot. It fit well in both the s/m and large so I chose the s/m for a secure fit and maybe a ounce or two.
    If you can find the Cyphon though, go for it.
    RTR

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Giro HEX is the same as the XEN but a bit cheaper and with IMO better airflow with the angled vents.

those are Rollercams...
    Thanks, Chris. The Cyphon would look great covered with maple leaves.
    I know a guy who can help you with that!

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    shiggy - thats a very odd test. I kinda see your point though.

I'm leaning toward the Flux - heading out tomorrow morning to find one locally to try on.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Today I went to the LBS and held both the Fox Flux and the Giro Xen.

The Fox wins the craftsmanship award. There is no way that Xex is a $150 helmet (which is what they had it tagged at). Not that the Xen was really all that bad, but the craftsmanship just wasn't too impressive. Their profit margins have to be fantastic on that helmet at $150.

Neither were fantastic, but the Flux was a bit nicer on the outside and felt more comfortable to wear.

As far as coverage/protection - holding them side by side they looked to cover absolutely the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto
    Today I went to the LBS and held both the Fox Flux and the Giro Xen.

The Fox wins the craftsmanship award. There is no way that Xex is a $150 helmet (which is what they had it tagged at). Not that the Xen was really all that bad, but the craftsmanship just wasn't too impressive. Their profit margins have to be fantastic on that helmet at $150.

Neither were fantastic, but the Flux was a bit nicer on the outside and felt more comfortable to wear.

As far as coverage/protection - holding them side by side they looked to cover absolutely the same amount.
    You did not look/feel how much coverage they had when you were wearing them?!?
    mtbtires.com

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I meant that the dimensions of the shells were seemingly absolutely identical. Matter of fact for a second I thought they WERE the same shell.

There was not a mirror in sight so I could not visually check anyway (well maybe there was across the room somewhere but I did not see one).

I meant that the dimensions of the shells were seemingly absolutely identical. Matter of fact for a second I thought they WERE the same shell.

There was not a mirror in sight so I could not visually check anyway (well maybe there was across the room somewhere but I did not see one).
    No mirror required. I use my fingers to mark were the shell hits then swap helmets.
    External dimensions mean little. It is also how deep it sits on your scull.
    mtbtires.com

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Ok well in that case the Fox fit my head fully - I could feel it. The Xen kinda "floated" which I did not like. But yeah I get what you're saying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shiggy, I'm glad to hear that your healing. I have a question about your drop bars. Are they cyclocross bars? How wide are they at the widest. I have a sore wrist and hand from riding flat bars and risers. What you say about the ergonomics of drop bars makes sense to me. I am considering switching to the drops. Sorry for being off topic. I don't mean to hijack anyone. If you could respond on a new thread I would appreciate it. Sorry for interfering.
    Larry

mtbr member

I bought a Specialized......

helmet that looks alot like a Fox Flux....it is the Specialized Tactic. Have been using it for about a month or so. Nicely vented....took a bit of getting used to with the coverage running lower in the back.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    These helmets like the cyphon, are they built with a base of foam like Bell or are they more like hockey or racing helmets where they're made with fiberglass or carbon or epoxy resins? How expensive are these units? Do you think a rail trail rider like me would benefit from one of these better helmets or is my Bell sufficient. I'm a firm believer in safety first. I guess I just answered my own question.
    Larry

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

From research I've done so far, the only two stand-out helmets with more-than-average-protection are the Giro Xen and the Fox Flux - correct? Any others?
    I have a Xen, and it does NOT have more than average coverage. In fact, it has the LEAST coverage of the 3 helmets I have owned (all XC-type), and is as little coverage as any I have tried on. When it's not on your head it LOOKS like it has more coverage because it looks like it comes down far in the back, but in fact it just comes up higher on the sides. It think the low profile in the back also adds to the illusion. The xen sits more on top of your head then around it.

That said, I find it the most comfortable helmet I've owned, and very easy to tighten and loosen. Looks good too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The flux is the best one I've tried on so far. I'll be replacing my Instinct with one in the not too distant future. The Giro just doesn't fit me well and the flux covers a little better than the instinct. I have a Deviant too, but I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. It's still too hot even with all the vents.

mtbr member
    I'm alive today to say that the Flux works. I purchased one of the first flux helmets.
    May this year I crashed big time on a granite downhill, head first on a big rock. Helmet flattened on top, inner foam cracked. I compressed and fractured neck and back vertebrae and a bad concussion. However I do have full use of my arms and legs and am alive to report it. The flux saved me. I'm not saying it is the best, I'm saying it will do what it was designed to do.

My first purchase this year was another Flux. I will probably go with a Specialized Deviant full coverage, with a rock garden neck brace. the defiant is the only full coverage helmet that has large vents. It's probably not good for racing downhill, but would be better for everything else.

I always forget about the THE F14 helmet as it does not fit my head perfectly.

VERY deep coverage and lots of vents.
    mtbtires.com

Gravity hurts
    Can anyone that has a Flux relate their hat size to the size of the helmets?

Members who have read this thread: 0