mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Helmets for large and long heads. (x post from General)

Any helmet suggestions for large and long heads? Specifically skate or full-face types? The skate style models I've seen made in two sizes do not work, and I have not (so far) seen if the full-face models that are in L and XL. I assume I need something at or larger than 62 cm based on what fits. 661 publishes large sizes, but I do not see how many cm or inches they are.

I broke my 3-4 year old Bell Nemesis that fit very well and had better coverage than most light vented helmets. My frequent riding in rocks, and increased air time has me thinking it's time for at least that much or more protection.

I did find one full-face that fit, but it had no vents and was even hot in the store. I was sure that model would be miserable, so any full-face must have vents.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Keepin' it real since '74
    For skate style helmets, check out the stuff that Pro-Tec has. I also have a large head, and that was the only brand that I found that fit me good.

http://www.pro-tec.net/bike.html
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

no direction in life
    Sep 2004
    Protec (for a skate lid) and Vigor (for FF). Those are the only two that fit my large melon. The XL 661 didn't even come close.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Azonic T-55. I had the same problem with the XL 661 and tha T-55 is almost too big for my oversized melon. I'm pretty sure they make it in a XXL also.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For skate style, I run a Giro Xen large. For fullface, a Troy Lee SE moto helmet in extra large - lightest and best vented moto helmet I've ever seen, lighter than most fullface mtb helmets and much better protection.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    The Specialized Hucker fits oval (long) heads very well. The Bell Bellistic also fits oval heads and has much better ventilation, but it only comes up to a size L and isn't big enough for some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    The Specialized Hucker fits oval (long) heads very well. The Bell Bellistic also fits oval heads and has much better ventilation, but it only comes up to a size L and isn't big enough for some.
    I found a Hucker on closeout, it fit, but had no vents and I was too hot even in the store. You're right about Bell and ovals, but other Bells with same stated size didn't cut it. I thank all for the help here and will pursue the others. Any suggestions not yet here much appricated.

Too bad I can't find them in stock in LBS.

Thanks.