Quiet Professional

Helmets hurt need help.

There is not much selection around here and i need a helmet. My issue is the plastic piece holding the straps digs into the top of my head. I cant seem to find one that does not. I only have access to giro, bell, nishiki and think that is about it. Please help.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

MTB B'dos
    What price range are you looking at? Was going to suggest to try a different brand (still a good idea) when I saw the title, but you've got 3 brands there to chose from, 2 of the most popular and they both have different shapes, so one of them should work. Never had an issue with anything digging into my head with my preferred Bell helmets. Just an FYI if you haven't tried on some from all brands, Giro and Bell both have very different shapes, Giro is a rounder shape, while Bell is a more oval shape - I cannot wear Giro. The helmets I normally buy are in the $40-70 range.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I have been psyched with the new fit system on the slightly nicer Lazer helmets, too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think your best bet is to keep trying on different helmets till you find one that fits you. Another option is maybe look in to a dew rag or something that will help cushion the pressure. Not sure how bad the straps are digging in though. Have you gone to your local shop? Most shops have knowledgable people who may have the answer to your issue. Good luck, hope you find something suitable soon.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Man, I can relate since I also have trouble finding helmets that don't hurt when I wear them. For me, they usually dig into the sides of my head around the temple area. I usually just try on helmets until I find one that doesn't hurt to wear. I've found that Lazer helmets fit me really well.

Quiet Professional
    I am looking at the fox flux, fox striker, and 661 recon stealth. Anyone have any experience with these? They dont have the plastic piece holding the straps in like the local ones do.

Quiet Professional
    Sorry for double post. Internet problem,.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This might not help much...but sometimes ya gotta do a little custom work to get a helmet to fit...like covering plastic parts with material of some kind.Prolly best to call the manufacturer and explain the problem...they design them...they will know what to do.
    ...But whatever you do, don't ride without one!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I recently got an older but not been used helmet off of ebay and the inside of the helmet didnt have much padding..so I got some generic pads off of ebay and fitted them inside the helmet with some velcro and its the most comfortable helmet to wear..another approach might be to get a headband and wear that..Ive used that before and its worked.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Uphill? What's that
    I ha e the fox flux helmet and have had no problems with comfort..Just fyi. Most helmets come with extra padding that you can place over problem areas..

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I ha e the fox flux helmet and have had no problems with comfort..Just fyi. Most helmets come with extra padding that you can place over problem areas..
    Its the quality of the actual padding im talking about, as you would know the flux's padding is a bit rough also with a few sharp edges that irritate your forhead, the 661 padding is as smooth as anything, softer n just feels better, way better, look they both give the same protection..
    Im a fox fan but im only giving my opinion from somebody that has both, the recon leaves the flux for dead in every dept bar personal fit, that comes down to the shape of your head obviously.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

^^^^ LOL, for some reason i thought i was in another helmet thread carrying on a convo that i was having about the fox v recon, i scroll up here to find this isnt the thread i was in an explaining how in my opinion the recon is a better thought out helmet than the flux lol
    Sorry Rob bob, carry on mate lol,
    cheers
    Last edited by Tone's; 12-15-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Uphill? What's that
    No harm no foul..

Quiet Professional
    Got a deal on a fox flux for 60 new in box. Just waiting for it to arrive. Thought i would give it a try for 40 less than the recon.

Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Got a deal on a fox flux for 60 new in box. Just waiting for it to arrive. Thought i would give it a try for 40 less than the recon.

60 bux sounds like a good deal to me, good score mate.

banned
    Dec 2012
    I have been psyched with the new fit system on the slightly nicer Lazer helmets, thanks