Thread: Helmets ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Helmets ...

I had a favorite old mtb helmet (Specialized Telluride) that I finally damaged this past season. I liked it a lot as it was comfortable and the vents were positioned ideally for mounting lights on it (NiteRider MiNewt 400). The current helmet I use for road riding doesn't work very good to mount lights during night mtb rides so I'm hoping to find something different.

Anyway I was wondering if there are any helmets more mountain bike specific that any of you recommend? I see Niner is partnering up with a company named Kali that makes mtb protective equipment, but I'm not familiar with them or their products?

Thanks for any feedback!

Need More Bikes
    I use a specialized tactic. Specialized Bicycle Components : Tactic

I went to a bunch of LBS' comparing weight, overall size (I don't like the mushroom head look), and vent position for lights. This fit all aspects, and it was clearanced. 50 dollars out the door.

Unless the Kali have some new fancy feature, they're overpriced. 120+ for a xc mtb helmet is too much. If I'm looking in that price range I'm going full face.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    I use a specialized tactic. Specialized Bicycle Components : Tactic

I went to a bunch of LBS' comparing weight, overall size (I don't like the mushroom head look), and vent position for lights. This fit all aspects, and it was clearanced. 50 dollars out the door.

Unless the Kali have some new fancy feature, they're overpriced. 120+ for a xc mtb helmet is too much. If I'm looking in that price range I'm going full face.
    Looks like a good fit for me too. I don't think the LBS has them in stock, but I'll put a request in for an order ... thanks!

LightJunction.com
    I've been using the Giro Atmos for racing...not mtb specific, but it's lightweight, super breathable and holds my light just fine. I've also used the Bell Variant and the Giro Xar this past few months. They've got more of the mountain look to them, and the Xar even comes in some pretty sweet colors for 2012. Just my two-cents.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It sounds like my LBS has a great deal on a left over S-Works MTB helmet so I will likely go that route. We've got a great LBS so I always try to give them my business if they have what I need.

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a Gyro helmet from 07 - it was about $50 then. I barely used it (kind of stopped riding). I'm starting back up (once I buy a mtn bike), is this helmet still safe to use or is it outdated already? I wish I give more info!