Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Helmets

I just found this interesting so I figured I would share with everyone. My brother who is working on his phd in physics said that for a homework assignment he had to calculate the force applied to ones head if from a moving position you fell over and hits his head it is enough force to be deadly.

I figured this is as good a reason as any to wear a helmet at all times when biking.

Tree Crasher
    Yup. Your brain bounces around and gets bruised, sometimes with sneaky results.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...7119825&page=1
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Yeppers a good reason also not to wear a cheapo helmet as well.... thank you but my brain is worth way more to me than 29.95...... thats why I wear a fox! toughest bloody helmet I ever seen.... not to mention comfortable....

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker
    Yeppers a good reason also not to wear a cheapo helmet as well.... thank you but my brain is worth way more to me than 29.95...... thats why I wear a fox! toughest bloody helmet I ever seen.... not to mention comfortable....
    spoken by someone who clearly knows nothing about helmets.

UMMM EXCUSE me Twitwell!????? what rock did you crawl out from... Fox has made the finest armour for how many years now????????? if I recolect corectly they started makin the stuff in 1974.... they made parts for prolly longer than you have even been alive!any body who values there skin more than $ wears Fox Doofus! dont tell me you prolly use that 661 garbage dont ya

usually cranky
    just because you pay more for a helmet doesnt mean it is any safer than a $20 helmet from walmart. btw i wear a fox flux.

mtbr member
    fox stuff is great value. i'd buy an Arai lid if they got in the game.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    just because you pay more for a helmet doesnt mean it is any safer than a $20 helmet from walmart. btw i wear a fox flux.
    You are kidding right? Sounds like you're the one who doesn't know anything about helmets. You can not compare a $20 Walmart helmet to a more expensive one, say a Fox Flux, it just does not work that way. You might have faith in that $20 helmet, 90% of the population wont. I wouldn't even wear a $20 helmet on a short commute, on paved surfaces. A Fox Flux will be much much safer than a $20 Walmart helmet, I can 100% guarantee that. Also, the fact that you wear a Flux indicates just that, if you thought a $20 helmet was just as safe, you'd be wearing it.
    Last edited by SV11; 05-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.

true there are some companies who will rip ya off.... but in general with Fox ( I also wear a flux) Giro, some of Bells stuff( they have gotten far worse over the years!) in general the more expensive helmets not only have foam protectin your head but a lot have fiberglass or other reinforcements such as nylon webbing carbon fiber etc ,in there better helmets....... if you look real close you'll find out your fox has fiberglass .....( you can see a lil piece here and there poking out) and for my head 100 bucks aint much

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11
    You are kidding right? Sounds like you're the one who doesn't know anything about helmets. You can not compare a $20 Walmart helmet to a more expensive one, say a Fox Flux, it just does not work that way. You might have faith in that $20 helmet, 90% of the population wont. I wouldn't even wear a $20 helmet on a short commute, on paved surfaces. A Fox Flux will be much much safer than a $20 Walmart helmet, I can 100% guarantee that. Also, the fact that you wear a Flux indicates just that, if you thought a $20 helmet was just as safe, you'd be wearing it.
    your right, clearly the csps doesnt mean anything $20 will buy you all the safety you need, after that your just buying fit, style, venting, weight, and a brand. all me owning a flux indicates is that i am a sucker for cool looking gear. it helps to know what you are talking about before you try to argue your point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    After looking at a bunch of XC helmets they all looked basically the same: a shaped block of foam with some sort of laminate covering. For a full face though, I would probab
    ly be more selective.

Ninja Master Powers
    Really a 100% guarantee? Do you want to make a little wager on your 100% guarantee?

Because you're 100% WRONG…

There is no difference in the type and quality of protection between the 20.00 Wally helmet and the 100.00 Flux ( I use a Flux and can say that it likely saved my life recently; didn't save me the worst concussion I've ever has though. But then it's not designed to)

There might be a small difference in the area of your head that's covered but that's it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wouldn't have believed it but.....http://www.bhsi.org/testbycost.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    LOL too obsurd!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    people come on share your points of view, but there is not reason to try and demean others for theirs. if you really believe your point is the better then provide the evidence telling people they know nothing isn't making your point any more valid. I hear both sides of the argument here guys and I just want to see more proof for both sides because this could be useful info for anyone trying to buy a new helmet. It's good that we are getting many points of view here, but insults make people less prone to listen to you in my opinion.

usually cranky
    its not opinion when science backs it up...

Old Man
    In my opinion, any certified helmet is better than no helmet, the link to that helmet study was pretty interesting, definitely worth a read. But in the end its your head, wrap it in what makes you happy or makes you feel safe.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
    Site

mtbr member
    Rickco- great website! I was wondering about my helmet. I just bought one from walmart for $20 or so. I have another specialized one but it's not comfy.

IMO-a helmet is a helmet, you hit your head the helmet helps most of the way, until they make a bubble helmet, where your head won't get hurt, then I'll consider buy a $200 helmet. Anything over a hundo to me is just a waste
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

~Disc~Golf~
    LOL too obsurd!!
    what's obsurd[sic]?

Ohhh, your original post...I get it now
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=b-kul]your right, clearly the csps doesnt mean anything $20 will buy you all the safety you need, after that your just buying fit, style, venting, weight, and a brand.

I fully concur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    just like motorcycle helmets..... if they all pass the DOT test then they are all the same safety wise... the more money you spend the better graphics/comfort you get.... same as bicycle helmets simple as that....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I wear a helmet because decent replacement brains donors are hard to come by and I imagine the transplant would be quite expensive.

I don't ride MTB, only commuting, but I have a Fox Flux. I bought it because the store was clearing them out for $50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    what's obsurd[sic]?

Ohhh, your original post...I get it now

Ok, for all of you that are contradicting yourselves, how many of you have recommended a $20 walmart helmet to a friend or loved one?
    Answer = Absolutely bloody none, cut the arrogance guys, its sickening

The funny thing is, in the helmet recommendation threads, no one recommends a $20 walmart helmet, I wonder why that is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok, for all of you that are contradicting yourselves, how many of you have recommended a $20 walmart helmet to a friend or loved one?
    Answer = Absolutely bloody none, cut the arrogance guys, its sickening
    I told two my friends that don't have money to spend on a fancy helmet that they could get a $20 helmet at Target or Wal-Mart.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    I wouldn't have believed it but.....http://www.bhsi.org/testbycost.htm
    Makes sense to me - nearly all the impact protection of a bicycle helmet comes from the EPS foam which is likely to be of nearly the same formulation (density, thickness, strength, etc) for pretty much all helmets.

I have two helmets that I count on to keep my skull/brain intact - a $20 Schwinn helmet from Wal-Mart (kept with a lamp mounted on it for night riding) and a $90 Giro Xen fabric as my primary helmet.

Thing is, while my particular Wal-Mart helmet happens to fit me extremely well and be comfortable, I think it's a worthwhile assumption that the more expensive a helmet is, the more likely it is fit well and be comfortable. Impact tests don't rate comfort, ease of adjustment and how well a helmet sits and stays on a wearer's head. I've tried cheap helmets for my kids and they sucked for adjustment, comfort and wear. I ended up with a Fox Flux for one son and a Giro Hex for the other which they're each happy with. Maybe no difference over the cheap helmets in an impact test but definitely a big difference in real-world usability and protection.

Anyway, you or a loved one can wear a cheap piece of plastic on your head or choose a nicely-crafted piece of performance equipment. Even if both work the same in a crash, there is something to be said for comfort, style and class, no?
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast