mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Which Helmet Vigor Vamoose, Full Bravo (Carbon?)

So I have been reading post after post, which helmet should I get. I am an aggressive XC rider recoverering from a broken jaw. So I am planning on using it as my primary helmet long ups in the summer, i guess I will just have to deal with the heat. But which helmet would you recommend, it seems as though the Bravo is easily available. The only place I found the Vigor is Go-Ride.com. My next question is the carbon worth the extra bucks. I hear that its done after one hit, but how big of a hit are we talking about. The lighter weight would be nice. I don't know anywhere to try one on, but I do wear a large bellistic. I got one and I am taking it back since the liner doesn't come out and I don't want to deal with a rank lid. If someone has a bellistic and it does come out let me know and then i will stick with that but I didn't see anyway for it to pull out.

Thanks for the input

C

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The one the fits better.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    One more thing, I ride at night a good bit and use niterider's helmet mount, Will this work on either of these helmets. The big deciding factors for me are

removable liner,
    niterider light will mount to the helmet
    as cool as possible.

with the vigor, i didn't really come across any sizing charts does anybody know a link so I can pick the right size.

Thanks again

C

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You really should try them on in person. Some brands fit rounder heads (looking from on top of the person) better, some fit more oval heads better. There's nothing worse than a helmet that presses against your forehead too hard and is at the same time too loose on the sides (but is the 'correct' size for your head according to the sizing chart). Gives you a good headache after a solid afternoon of riding.

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyd55
    So I have been reading post after post, which helmet should I get. I am an aggressive XC rider recoverering from a broken jaw. So I am planning on using it as my primary helmet long ups in the summer, i guess I will just have to deal with the heat. But which helmet would you recommend, it seems as though the Bravo is easily available. The only place I found the Vigor is Go-Ride.com. My next question is the carbon worth the extra bucks. I hear that its done after one hit, but how big of a hit are we talking about. The lighter weight would be nice. I don't know anywhere to try one on, but I do wear a large bellistic. I got one and I am taking it back since the liner doesn't come out and I don't want to deal with a rank lid. If someone has a bellistic and it does come out let me know and then i will stick with that but I didn't see anyway for it to pull out.

Thanks for the input

C

I just purchased the Vigor Vamoose II carbon and it's great! I ended up getting it (new) off of ebay for $71 ($85 with shipping). I talked to the guys at go-ride and they were very helpful. I gave them my head circumference and they told me what size I should go with. I was a little hesitant about buying a helmet before trying it on, but it turned out just fine. (I tried on a medium at a shop and it was too small, but they didn't have any larges at that time.) As for Vigor's sizing chart, here's all I have: large 23.25"-23.75" medium 22.5"-23". Don't quote me on that, it's just what the ebay seller (Village Cycles, 508-759-6773, ebay name lpkj3) supplied on the auction. I'm glad I went with the carbon, it's cool looking and it is super light (2 lbs +-). I've not heard anything about crash-resistance, so I'll be curious to read other replies. I also really like how wide-open the helmet is, that way I'm not cutting off my periferal vision. Good luck with you decision!
    Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed: they don't mean quite so much, except that you get to hang out with your workin' friends...

mtbr member

I have the Carbon Vamoose

I cannot wear it in the Summer because it is too snug and too hot. The removable liner is key. Pop the liner out...throw it in the machine, hang dry...and attach it back in.

I think mine is a size small, but a friends medium fits as well. If I remember correctly, I too wore a Large Bell. Therefore, send GO-ride an email. They should have the size ranges.

The never ending problem ever since the Switchblade was discontinued....a breathable, light weight full face for non DH riding.

Someone posted a photo of a "Switchblade Style" helmet a while back.

Anyone know the manufacturer?

Thanks for the input

C

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Ther... send GO-ride an email. They should have the size ranges.
    Call 'em: Tech Line: 801-474-0081 - much quicker that way.
    Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed: they don't mean quite so much, except that you get to hang out with your workin' friends...

Glad to Be Alive
    661 Full Bravo...I love mine a lot...great ventilation too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    "My next question is the carbon worth the extra bucks. I hear that its done after one hit, but how big of a hit are we talking about."

any helmet will be done on a hard enough hit, doesn't matter what it's made of.

and forget the switchblade (someone said something about it)... poor crash protection and they are know to cause even more facial damage depending on the hit because the chin gaurd is pretty weak and breaks back into the face... not good. i have one that i retired the face piece and now use the helmet alone for XC. i bought a mad max for normal riding.

the bravos are nice and so are the vamooses... the vamoose might get the niterider system on it a little easier but you should definitely try a helmet on before buying one... and if you can try to mount the system, any shop trying to sell you something should let you do this.

anyways, goodluck on the purchase

mtbr member

Vigor or TLD

Both my kids ride with the Vigor Vamoose II and it is an outstanding helmet, with excellent fit, and design. I ride a TLD carbon and it is extremely comfortable, and very light - to the point I don't notice it after it is on for a bit. A friend of ours rides the Giro Madmax and it is about like the Vigor but a touch heavier and not as ventilated.

Non of these FF helmets will be cool enough to do "normal" XC riding, especially if you're in a hot climate. Although I don't like it, my kids and I will remove our helmet for the climbs if they're going to be anything longer than a few minutes....it is just too dang'd hot with them on. Not to mention, they get horrifically "stanky" very quickly when wearing them on climbs. Like I said, I don't like riding helmetless, but if I'm doing freeriding stuff that requires the FF to be worn, it is just too much of a pain to bring two helmets on a longer ride.

Before I got the TLD, I used the Giro Switchblade, and that was the only truly acceptable crossover FF helmet for both All Mountain and Freeride (as long as you weren't going too big), that could be worn at all times, without getting too hot in. I also broke two of these in the last year crashing on jumps or drops, which is what they're supposed to do....but they are NOT in the same league as the "real" FF designs.

more than my 2cents
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    I just purchased the Vigor Vamoose II carbon and it's great! I ended up getting it (new) off of ebay for $71 ($85 with shipping). I talked to the guys at go-ride and they were very helpful. I gave them my head circumference and they told me what size I should go with. I was a little hesitant about buying a helmet before trying it on, but it turned out just fine. (I tried on a medium at a shop and it was too small, but they didn't have any larges at that time.) As for Vigor's sizing chart, here's all I have: large 23.25"-23.75" medium 22.5"-23". Don't quote me on that, it's just what the ebay seller (Village Cycles, 508-759-6773, ebay name lpkj3) supplied on the auction. I'm glad I went with the carbon, it's cool looking and it is super light (2 lbs +-). I've not heard anything about crash-resistance, so I'll be curious to read other replies. I also really like how wide-open the helmet is, that way I'm not cutting off my periferal vision. Good luck with you decision!
    So let me get this straight -

"I talked to the guys at go-ride and they were very helpful. I gave them my head circumference and they told me what size I should go with."

then -

"I just purchased the Vigor Vamoose II carbon and it's great! I ended up getting it (new) off of ebay for $71 ($85 with shipping). "

Am I missing something here?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyOrange
    "My next question is the carbon worth the extra bucks. I hear that its done after one hit, but how big of a hit are we talking about."

any helmet will be done on a hard enough hit, doesn't matter what it's made of.

and forget the switchblade (someone said something about it)... poor crash protection and they are know to cause even more facial damage depending on the hit because the chin gaurd is pretty weak and breaks back into the face... not good. i have one that i retired the face piece and now use the helmet alone for XC. i bought a mad max for normal riding.

the bravos are nice and so are the vamooses... the vamoose might get the niterider system on it a little easier but you should definitely try a helmet on before buying one... and if you can try to mount the system, any shop trying to sell you something should let you do this.

anyways, goodluck on the purchase
    carbon helmets and durability....if you drop your helmet (falls off the truck) then you break the carbon fiber, but you should replace a helmet every year anyway. I kept my last helmet for little over a year but when I got my new helmet I realized I had it for 2 1/2 years. best just to get the carbon so you get a new one every year
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    So let me get this straight -

"I talked to the guys at go-ride and they were very helpful. I gave them my head circumference and they told me what size I should go with."

then -

"I just purchased the Vigor Vamoose II carbon and it's great! I ended up getting it (new) off of ebay for $71 ($85 with shipping). "

Am I missing something here?
    Nothing missing: I called go-ride to get their input as to what size I should get, then I happened to find the helmet for sale on ebay--right size, right price. All I was trying to say was that the guys at go-ride were very helpful and if the ebay deal hadn't come along, I would've purchased from them.

Who pickin the banjo?
    I ended up getting a new helmet when I got my new head.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Dirty Souph West Riders
    my vigor vamoose survived this crash today
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    my vigor vamoose survived this crash today
    nice, but there was a landing right?
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

[size=4]DREAM THEATER[/size]

Dirty Souph West Riders
    yeah its kinda a step up thing. here a better picture where im in control
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who pickin the banjo?
    That jump at Papago bucked me a few times real good.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

They are tuff.

Thanks for the input

C
    At the bottom of Snow Summit there are some stairs. I was coming down the hill after cheering on some friends at the finish line. I decided to jump the stairs. Because I had been chilling at the finish line, my carbon Vigor was hanging on my handlebars. I tagged the last stair and crashed. The helmet smacked the asphalt pretty good(I heard it hit). The only VISIBLE damage was some scratches. I smacked my nugget a few weeks ago in a crash. The helmet hit on the back. The epoxy around the fibers has turned white, but if you push on it, it is as solid as the rest of the helmet. I am still using it. I will buy another soon.

Dirty Souph West Riders
    when was the last time you were there menachite?

Who pickin the banjo?
    when was the last time you were there menachite?
    Three years ago.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    wow, nice

got backflip?
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

[size=4]DREAM THEATER[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=142&idcat=13

I have been eyeballing this thing for the up commming summer. Don't know if they are sold in the US though.

Dirty Souph West Riders
    oh yeah its a lot different than three years ago. its like vert now. it kinda blows cause you need so much speed but it also gets you real high.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling
    http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=142&idcat=13

I have been eyeballing this thing for the up commming summer. Don't know if they are sold in the US though.
    You can purchase a Met helmet from the UK cost is about $180 to your door. There is a medium sized Met Parachute on e-bay for $45 w/o any bids yet.