Thread: Helmet TEST

banned

Helmet TEST

I did not know these uncertified helmets even existed.

ARF Presents: Certified vs Non-Certified Bicycle Helmet Impact Test on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Enlightening video. Although it is likely never to happen, it would be interesting to see the numbers from test results of some of the popular certified helmets.

mtbr member

No good

I've seen this video posted on facebook, on Vital MTB group. I've made a comment there that got deleted for some reason, probably because I've mentioned that uncertified helmet was Pro-tec.

Uncertified helmet that can be seen in the video is Pro-tec Classic SKATE helmet, that is not advertised as a bike helmet, there is no polystyrene shell and it only have removable sponge pads between your head and plastic outer shell. Also, I would like to mention that in the manual it was mentioned that Pro-tec Classic Skate helmet shouldn't be used as a bike helmet.

I'm in no way connected to Pro-tec, nor I'm being a fan boy (though I do own a Pro-tec Classic Bike helmet because I love the looks). I know the difference because I was considering buying a Skate model as it was somewhat cheaper and I was on a tight budget at that moment, but when I checked both of these in person it was a no brainer, as there was obvious reason why Skate helmet isn't meant to be used on bikes.

IMHO this video should point out that this product is not uncertified bike helmet but a product not advertised as a bike helmet and show that there is a reason why it shouldn't be used as such.
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...