Thread: helmet stickers

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

helmet stickers

ok, is putting stickers on my helmet really going to erode the plastic case and make it less protective in a crash (or something along those lines), or is it just urban legend?

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsloth
    ok, is putting stickers on my helmet really going to erode the plastic case and make it less protective in a crash (or something along those lines), or is it just urban legend?
    No. They're not. nm.

Ride Instigator

Somebodys Yanking Your Chain...

Helmet manufacturers generally put their name or logo on their product and that's a sticker...I doubt that they have some kind of special glue .

One thing though...stickers are extra weight and that's bound to slow you down... not to mention all that wind drag .

Poorly Disguised Poser

hummm

Not a bad question, I suspect that the answer is no unless you use your helmet year after year for decades...even then the sun probably does more damage to the plastic.

You made me thing of another interresting topic...I once heard that helmets should be replaced yearly....anyone out there actually do that? I probably replace mine every 2 to 3 years due to funk. and definately replace it immediately after a crash.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    I duct tape the vents on mine in the winter, and remove it in the spring. So far, no damage, that I can see. I also rub off the excess adhesive with alcohol swabs, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've always heard that the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) recommendes every 3-5 yrs. I think it has to do with the degradation of the styrofoam more than anything else.

I think part of the reason that manufacturers recommended against stickers is so that the helmet will break-up to take the force of a blow....too many stickers and it may not work the way it is supposed to. Don't know if it is true, but it is what I heard.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    The stickers will be extra padding when you crash!
    Jim
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Einstein
    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Actually, cool stickers from a cool company make you go faster! You know... it's just like the more chrome you put on a Harley the faster it goes ;-)

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    do they void the warranty?

mtbr member

removing stickers

Stickers are ok, but if you peel them off and your wife finds your helmet covered with adhesive residue and trys to clean it with goof-off it will melt the foam parts and ruin your helmet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Zombie threadin', I know, but...but I'll throw this out there.

As a military pilot, we are not supposed to put stickers on the outside shell of our helmets. Not because it will hurt the helmet, but rather, because you might get a crack in the helmet's shell, and then not see it, because it is underneath a sticker. Might not be a big deal with a bike helmet, but then again, you only have one brain and it doesn't do well when shakin' or stirred.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamSkidder View Post
    Zombie threadin', I know, but...but I'll throw this out there.

As a military pilot, we are not supposed to put stickers on the outside shell of our helmets. Not because it will hurt the helmet, but rather, because you might get a crack in the helmet's shell, and then not see it, because it is underneath a sticker. Might not be a big deal with a bike helmet, but then again, you only have one brain and it doesn't do well when shakin' or stirred.
    That is the reason I remove stickers from rims and frames. I've seen too many rims with fractures hidden by stickers.

pin it
    Good advice!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies