trail fairy

Helmet Standards and You

Being a relatively small niche of the mountain bike market and an even smaller niche of the overall cycling market, downhill and freeride mountain bikers have always labored along having to contend with a fairly small selection of riding gear appropriate for their purposes. Perhaps the most contentious piece of equipment among the downhill community is the helmet.

Full details here

http://www.littermag.com/2009/which-...-and-freeride/

Interesting and backs up a little on what some us have been discussing a little lately just based on some of our own thoughts of what we'd do, not who's right or wrong just our own decisions! good luck with yours be safe homie's

Is a bigger helmet better DOT vs. MTB.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    This maybe the wrong forum but I do believe it affects all levels of rider in fact those who think they are safest are most at risk, my injury wasn't done while DHing!

Yes it was dangerous yes it was risky, but it was calculated something I was pretty familiar with, I had stepped it up that day, physically I was tired, I had done allot of running around that morning! I had spent to hours @ the track cleaning, buffing the course! a hard week! so mentally I was off and not aware of it looking back!

So back on subject you're at most risk when you're closest to home, ambush! is most common when you re safe! ask any grunt!

Same in mtb, moto, car racing, any competitive or risky activity, I'm on a mission because I'm here so I'll continue to hammer it, to those who will listen if it saves one Ive done my job!

If it hurts ya ears change bat channels!

OK So here's some Helmets, to compare Moto vs MTB links etc!
    I may Xpost this in the DH forum! too..

FOX MOTO
    http://www.foxhead.com/us/mx/mx09/

FOX MTB
    http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=20006255F.jpg

Troy Lee

Moto
    http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...oducts_id=1716

MTB
    http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...oducts_id=1727

Thor Moto
    http://www.thormx.com/product.jsp?pa...1543,1561,6680

Bell Moto
    http://www.bellpowersports.com/main.html

Bell MTB
    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ...l.asp?prodID=6

<center> </center>

Grio MTB
    http://www.giro.com/site/#/product/c...irt/remedy_cf/

POC MTB
    http://wheels.pocsports.com/pocwheels/index.html

DAINESE MTB
    http://www.dainese.com/eng/coll_mtb.asp

Azonic this is under cycling but I think its a moto Helmet it exceeds and meets moto stds.
    Exceeds SNELL, DOT, ECE 22/04 and AS standards
    looks good, chur SMT.
    http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=254

Edit this isn't a Helmet review I leave that to the experts, its more about awareness, showing the obvious difference's!

If there's any others feel free to post away, pic's and links!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cost, don't mention COST! you all ride expensive bikes, protection is not a COST its an investment!

Ya don't go into battle unarmed! I cannot talk, but I can educate ta 61 alpha OUT..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 01-07-2009 at 08:50 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Running a Mad Max II at the moment and when it's done, it'll be replaced with a moto helmet.
    Most of my HL riding will be either shuttles or lift assist so I'm not as concerned if the helmet is not as well vented as an MTB one.

Several local DH'ers have already switched to Moto helmets which makes total sense to me given the speeds you can get up, surrounded by trees & rocks.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Running a Mad Max II at the moment and when it's done, it'll be replaced with a moto helmet.
    Most of my HL riding will be either shuttles or lift assist so I'm not as concerned if the helmet is not as well vented as an MTB one.

Several local DH'ers have already switched to Moto helmets which makes total sense to me given the speeds you can get up, surrounded by trees & rocks.
    Good info Hubba, nice to hear, any particular model or info?

any others ya think of I can add, I'm sure there's more just having a mind block a mo? lol!

Whats your moto pref, I'm thinking if ya go moto, a neck brace will support it even more!

Great to see neck braces embraced at 1st rd of Nats this year from what I can tell from reports, good luck on the HL progression look fwd to following that some more.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Moosehead
    As an XC and lite AM guy, I'm pretty well covered in top o the line vented bike lids. Replace at crash or regularly buy new just to get the updated stuff. Been saved at least twice by brain buckets, even at my lower exposure riding.

The incredible flying some o' you DH and FR homers are doin is much bigger hit, bigger consequence stuff. Hoping you fellow gladiators are stayin well armored.

Related topic, for the first time in 25 years, I'm in a rather bulky and expensive ski helmet as of this week. Truth be told - personally don't like it at all, but it's clearly the right thing for the family and my own tawdry self. Photo insert below.

Also have lost friends to climbing and motorcycles who didn't put a lid on it, maybe even just that one time. Seen plenty of surfers with neck braces sitting on the beach for 2 years.

TA, your injury and stellar attitude in recovery and all things homerness also another really good lesson. Rock on dood and thanks for staying on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moosehead; 01-08-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: insert photo

trail fairy
    Good stuff there Moose!! Great info

cheers for the kind words!

Ah I don;t let go easily so expect me to keep pumping LOL,

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    TA your positive attitude towards injury and recovery,your as well as others, and the importance of these views that you are bringing forth are exemplary.
    for me fit, form and function. i have found that the troy lee SE2 and bell moto, fit great and are constructed a bit smaller than the rest. my opinion though. a snell and dot approved lid, in my opinion, is the direction the gravity set should be turning. higher speeds, more technical courses and terrain justify and in some way demand a higher standard in helmets. again great for you in your positive attitude, more attention should be paid.

further SNELL requirements, which i believe are that much more extensive than a DOT approval.

http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/...al_booklet.pdf

trail fairy
    Stop embarrassing me guys its about you not me lol, thanks Kreater appreciate you guy's are too much plus I may get a big head and not fit into a DH helmet again
    Chur bro!

That's some top info K and great coming from your way dawg
    There details testing are impressive see the Gforce info wow
    also something not understood is helmet removal something which is taught limited in basic first aid, often not to remove until ambo arrives to determine extent of head and neck injury!

I see some Moto Helmets have separate liner removal pads to aid in Helmet removal for broke necks or severe head tramua!

The Thor is one!

E8. Removability
    The helmet removability test determines whether the helmet can be
    removed from an unconscious victim without resorting to any buckles,
    clasps or other mechanisms which may be rendered non-functional by
    impact stresses. The helmet is placed on the largest appropriate complete
    ISO head form with all the closures and retention systems engaged. A technician
    must remove the helmet from the head form using simple, common
    hand tools but without accessing any of the helmet mechanisms.
    The hand tools for this test are limited to shears, simple edged tools
    and flat bladed screw drivers. The operation must not require more than
    thirty seconds.
    Thanx Kreater

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Built to Last

The Search Continues

TA- a good helmet works but a great helmet will save the day and have you charging.
    Another thing worth mentioning is a Leatt brace the moto guys use. they are 600$ but there are a couple of brand new lesser priced $$ models on the moto market. overkill IMO for biking but with a serious injury like you just had,...may be the call or at least checking out. they are designed to prevent neck injuries.

I love to moto. I have had just about every helmet made that money can buy. except for suomy and this other euro brand thats supposed to rock. i cant remember the name of it. kinda exclusive like those lupine light systems that run like a grand or some crazy $$$.

When i think of top of the line moto helmets,I think they blow away the mtb offerings. Currently i have a troy lee se mtb, a troy lee se2 doug henry moto, and an arai vx pro. i just sold my shoei helmets. they fit real well but suck to take off your melon.

The ARAI is the KING, best helmet i have ever worn or used. comfort,easy to take off, easy to clean, etc. 110% bad ass helmet. the se mtb is the worst of these. padding sucks, fit wanks, etc.... you get the picture. i still use it b/c its lightest and dare i say it. it looks kool.

These 3 are the best moto helmets in my opinion...Arai then shoei then troy lee...I like that skate lid mullet helmet by azonic too.

Why dont you just grow a mullet so your hair will be flying when you come back rippin down the dh.

Peace.

Rob

trail fairy
    Cheers Rob

The Arai looks sick, I knew there were some others I had my finger on but couldn't remember from my moto days and they were the too, No Fear as well, but they're not in this league and I don't think they're doing Helmets anymore?

Arai always were tops heck I remember when they had the removable front visor LOL

Geez that and a Leat here that's 2k gone but crap this is already cost me around 100k plus pain and all sorts of chit no riding, so factor that in whats, 2k for that c r a p, fook all

Like your thinking dude big CHUR! thank for posting bro, great info details there and coming from you guy's

As for the Mullet I was looking like Patrick Swayze from Point break up until Xmas hair down to he shoulders just missed the permo, dam messing me up couldn't even get a cap to stay on, so I made a pact with myself to pull the Remington out on Xmas day and go down to a #4 it took me a good few hours as my head is so sensitive to touch let alone a friggin vibrating hedge trimmer

Well that done, I made another pac by New years day it would be a # 1, same process, shes gone, I look like xXx now Vin Diesel only even more scary even my dog Maxxis ran outside initially

peace brotha

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Built to Last
    Yikes, even the dog ran out! ha ha
    Yeah these bits dont run cheap, but i gotta say, the ARai is worth it. i want to buy like 3 of them they are so sweet.
    its all about fit and feel, and ease to take off.

While you are at it why dont you get some of this gear. TA's own custom medieval MTB suit. Save the 2k, and just get this thing on ebay for $250
    Chur to the max

trail fairy
    Yeah hes never seen me with basically a shaven head before so new for him, but I'm diggin it, hes used to it now, lol, he's quite playful..

Definitely agree that's No 1 if I ever get there again for sure comfort and protection is always no1 on my list of priorities! I don't know about getting 3 of em though leave that to you, maybe and extra set of inner pads for practice and race day would be nice, nutting worse than smelly sweaty inners on race day

Best thing is this comes in bad ass black

http://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/vx-pro3.html

Maxxis woof woof

Ah I'd need one of these just to get around dewd lol!

Nah I just need a good MX setup for DH and I will be set if I'm to DH, to be fair I never got hurt DHing but that's not to say I couldn't.

Good Helmet Neck Brace neck will never be as good as it was now, get into some yoga in time, some martial arts again for flexibility low impact, stuff, etc!

Moto X
    ONE Helmets is another brand Ive stumbled across,
    http://www.onehelmets.com/

Moto X
    Shoei
    http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/V-MOTO
    Last edited by trailadvent; 01-08-2009 at 02:54 AM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

May contain nuts
    Do you know Sheryl MacLeod is in Burwood TA? Nasty crash on Signal Hill, on the 30' gapper, a few days ago. She has feeling, but they've fused two or three C vertebrae.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Do you know Sheryl MacLeod is in Burwood TA? Nasty crash on Signal Hill, on the 30' gapper, a few days ago. She has feeling, but they've fused two or three C vertebrae.
    Oh noooooo, I did not know that s h i t.

Pass on best healing wishes to her, will look for info now to wish her well, vibes go out to her, thanks for heads up!

Hope the best for her, shes a great gal, dam hate to hear that

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Moosehead

+1 Tennesee Waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein
    Why dont you just grow a mullet so your hair will be flying when you come back rippin down the dh.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    As for the Mullet I was looking like Patrick Swayze from Point break up until Xmas hair down to he shoulders just missed the permo, dam messing me up couldn't even get a cap to stay on, so I made a pact with myself to pull the Remington out on Xmas day and go down to a #4 it took me a good few hours as my head is so sensitive to touch let alone a friggin vibrating hedge trimmer
    Bring It

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Bring It

Flippin heck

Shoot me if I eva look like that, we have dudes like that here!

We call em Westie's commonly referred too cause they live out in west dorkland [Auckland]

Mullet heads! nah mate I was like this

now I look like this

LOL

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0