mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Helmet shape and fitment questions

I'm in the market for a full face helmet. Unfortunately for me living in the greater detroit area nobody stocks full face helmets. Which restricts me to online research. I have noticed that none of the manufacturers state the shape of the helmet. Which I find strange. When I was looking for a helmet for my sport bike many years ago fitment was considered to be directly related to head shape. My questions are. Is fitment not as important in cycling due to lower speeds? I have to assume it is just as important. Knowing I have a roundish shape head. Which helmets should I be looking at?

Thanks
    Zack

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure why they don't list head shape, but most people just stick with brands they know fit them. I have an oval head and Giro helmets fit me perfectly, so that's all I buy. Not sure which brands fit round heads best, maybe Bell or Specialized?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I contacted several helmet manufacturers. Kali responded with "intermediate oval" which I assume most companies use to be able to accommodate most heads. Spoke to someone at Fox that said they use a round shell. But she didn't know what she was talking about bc she kept asking me to measure my head circumference. Insisting that was the only measurement that mattered. I'm still waiting on a response from Bell and Giro. Which I believe are both owned by Easton. Not interested in POC, URGE, or 661. BTW, my regular lid is a Bern Brentwood and it fits ok. Not nearly as nice as my Arai Quantum 2 fit when I was riding crotch rockets. Please advise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ideally you should try on a bunch of brands, but, if you're not near a shop that stocks them, one option is to mail order one that seems most likely to fit, as long as they have a free return policy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    What brand of lid do you currently have? See if that maker has a full face model.