mtbr member
    May 2014

Helmet questions

Are the helmets you see in dept stores similar to what a bike shop would sell? I looked at some in wal mart the other day and I don't see how those things would provide much protection? Also full face or just a standard bike helmet? Theres a guy in town here who hit a tree skiing 7 years ago and he's now in a home permanently brain damaged. I don't want to end up like that riding through trees on bike paths ect. Kinda a scary thought.

Fat-tired Roadie
    They meet the same safety standards. However, some helmets have better thought out venting and retention systems than others.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes all those helmets "meet" the same safety standard although this is a pass fail test.
    As consumers we should be told what helmets meet the test and what helmets exceed the testing standards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    Yes all those helmets "meet" the same safety standard although this is a pass fail test.
    As consumers we should be told what helmets meet the test and what helmets exceed the testing standards.
    I wish I had the know how to start a push for better reporting. Helmets should be rated like the IIHS does for cars.
    They could easily put a test head in the helmet and set up repeatable impacts.
    The results could be reported as IIHS does with numbers. This would be much better than the pass fails system we have now.

Sick of reading people doling out crap a $30 helmets protect just as well as a $100 one. No one can say that because we don't know that and won't until the tests are changed.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I wish I had the know how to start a push for better reporting. Helmets should be rated like the IIHS does for cars.
    They could easily put a test head in the helmet and set up repeatable impacts.
    The results could be reported as IIHS does with numbers. This would be much better than the pass fails system we have now.

Sick of reading people doling out crap a $30 helmets protect just as well as a $100 one. No one can say that because we don't know that and won't until the tests are changed.

Some argue that SOME not all lower end helmets are actually safer because they can use lower density foam. They can do this because they are not as well ventilated.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wow I never knew this was such a controversial topic. I was just curious myself what helmt to buy. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I switched to a Bern that covers more of the head after a crash cracked a common design type, gave me a concussion, and gave me scratches that the Bern wouldn't allow. Some Bern models also have more shell sizes so it's the best fitting I've ever had. Finally, Bern has winter liners for the helmet so I use it skiing and for biking in the cold.

Sorry, but I don't know if other brands have the features and fit of Bern, but no others stocked in my city are that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i have a full face helmet, saved my face a few times now

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post
    i have a full face helmet, saved my face a few times now
    If it's saved you "a few times" it's probably time to replace it. Helmets aren't designed to take multiple hits. I just ordered a new helmet today after taking a mean header yesterday and upon inspenction finding a few cracks in the styrofoam inner shell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    well i just actually did, but i didnt realize that was the case though. I mistakenly purchsed a motorcross helmet before (which i crashed in) and it was way too heavy. I have this one now,

Factor Helmet (Helmets) - Rider Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

much lighter and luckily havent fell in it yet

mtbr member
    Price on helmets is kinda like prices on anything else. A WalMart helmet is about the same as ur $30-40ish helmet at the lbs. Foam is same etc, slight possible change in retention system. But like everything lbs, they have more size options for better fit.

Then u go up in price u get even better fit, better quality, better retention, ventilation etc.

My example. First helmet was Wally world thing I had to mod the sides to fit. $25. Next was $40 at lbs. Bigger size. Still had to mod the sides a little but not near as much.

Then tired of fighting with helmets not fitting my head right I went to a bigger lbs to see options. Tried on Bell Super...a large fit my head, fit like a glove. Little snug for my liking but felt right. First helmet I tried on ever that did. But was over my budget. So found bell stoker. Still plenty of rear head protection and the large size was actually specced slightly larger than a super. Ordered one and now I have a helmet that fits great, stays cooler (looks cooler too) and stays in place.

So price does matter. Your protected no matter what but to what extent. Normal helmet, normal. A-m helmet great rear coverage while maintaining cooling. Full face, well enough said lol. Cheap means it works, more money means things work better.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Tigris
    I was looking for a Super too but they were out of stock. I tried a Muni & it fit like a glove. I love the Bell dial fit system. I hardly know it's there, great ventilation and like you said it looks cool.

mtbr member
    When it comes to a helmet for me, bell has a customer for life. I tried multiple branded lbs helmets (trek, cannondale etc) and low end to high end never felt as good as my stoker does. I forget im even wearing a helmet now and don't have it pushing my glasses down my nose every 5 mins.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!