mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Helmet question?

Trying to decide between full face and just a regular helmet? Can someone give me pros and cons? Thanks

T.W.O.
    What kind of riding do you do, is it hot where you are riding. I'm not one to suggest that you don' need FF for XC but, it's heavier, hotter, and offer much less field of vision. There are a few that I like for trail riding by URGE, the Archi enduro is pretty cool as well as their open face one. Check it out. If you can find one online the Met Parachute is a good choice as well, it's a convertible XC helmet that has a mouth guard attach to it. I have a similar one from Casco called Viper MX.

These are not cheap by all mean.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi, I'm looking for an XC/Trail helmet, but I can't decide which I should buy. I was looking the 661 Recon and the Giro Hex. Now I have a Giro Indicator, but with the universal sizing I look like an idiot mushroom shredding down on the mountain. Which helmet would be better looking (not so wide) and which one has better features. The sad thruth about the sizing is that my head is 56 cm so I'm barely out of the size S and barely in the size M, which is 55-59cm.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Helmet fit is a lot more important than which helmet is better looking. Someone could say that the 661 recon is better looking and you try it on and hate the way it fits. Try on whatever helmets you can find near you and pick the one you think looks better and fits your budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I never wore a full face, and I've been riding for most of my life- all XC.

After an over the bars experience at 40 mph, resulting in a faceplant and a $75k hospital bill (200 stitches in my face, probably 20 fractures in my skull)- I now have a Giro Remedy CF full face helmet. I haven't ridden yet, but I won't ever ride with a non FF helmet again.

Just my $0.02.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULUNM View Post

After an over the bars experience at 40 mph, resulting in a faceplant and a $75k hospital bill (200 stitches in my face, probably 20 fractures in my skull)- I now have a Giro Remedy CF full face helmet. I haven't ridden yet, but I won't ever ride with a non FF helmet again.

Just my $0.02.
    Holy crap, on a fireroad? Or paved road?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Holy crap, on a fireroad? Or paved road?
    Paved road, on my way to a trail. Laurel Canyon to be specific.

I have passed cars going down this stretch in the past- speed limit is 35 mph, so I figure 35-40.

Came to in a LAFD ambulance. 2 days in the hospital.

Had I been wearing a FF, I likely would have still had a concussion- but my face would have looked a lot better- and no broken tooth.

We'll see if I still feel the same way once I'm riding in a FF in 100 degree temps... but I never want to go through that again...

T.W.O.

Helmet question?

Paved road, on my way to a trail. Laurel Canyon to be specific.

I have passed cars going down this stretch in the past- speed limit is 35 mph, so I figure 35-40.

Came to in a LAFD ambulance. 2 days in the hospital.

Had I been wearing a FF, I likely would have still had a concussion- but my face would have looked a lot better- and no broken tooth.

We'll see if I still feel the same way once I'm riding in a FF in 100 degree temps... but I never want to go through that again...
    I know laurel Cyn pretty well, wow. Well look at it this way if you were on dirt an crashed at 40mph you'd have been eff'ed up even worse.

Like I said, no one can share you injury so wear what you like and ignore the gum flapping.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Cow Clicker
    PAULUNM: Really sorry to hear about your crash. Your type of story always scares the hell out of me.

MET Parachute is as close to a functional XC helmet as I've seen. I've got a Giro Hex and it fits my small head pretty well and I like it.

For all-mountain or trail riding with wrap around protection, the POC Trabec Race with MIPS seems to have the most protection of the open face MTB helmets. I can only give it second-hand props as I've never ridden with one, but one of my riding buddies does.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I know laurel Cyn pretty well, wow. Well look at it this way if you were on dirt an crashed at 40mph you'd have been eff'ed up even worse.

Like I said, no one can share you injury so wear what you like and ignore the gum flapping.

Yeah, at least the roadrash that was all over my knees, elbow, back, and face was clean!

Also- forgot to add that I messed up my eye pretty good. The frame on my oakelys basically sliced (crushed?) my brow open upon impact, and then hit my eye. Fortunately vision is perfect, but that pupil is 1-2mm bigger than the other due to damage to the nerve/muscle that constricts the pupil.

Could've been worse, but could've been better!

Just want to get my story out there to promote helmet use (My Giro E2 saved my life), and if I can convince anyone to wear a full face, mission accomplished.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    PAULUNM: Really sorry to hear about your crash. Your type of story always scares the hell out of me.

MET Parachute is as close to a functional XC helmet as I've seen. I've got a Giro Hex and it fits my small head pretty well and I like it.

For all-mountain or trail riding with wrap around protection, the POC Trabec Race with MIPS seems to have the most protection of the open face MTB helmets. I can only give it second-hand props as I've never ridden with one, but one of my riding buddies does.
    Thanks man. I wouldn't dream of using something like the MET Parachute. If you want full face protection- do the real deal- Giro Remedy or Troy Lee D3 both carry the downhill certification.

As far as comfort- the "jaw protection" on the Remedy is very open- should have plenty of ventilation for hot days.

As others have said- it's your decision. But if you saw ER pictures of me- you'd go full face, and probably question whether you want to ride ever again!

mtbr member
    Sometimes when you wreck an XC lid is fine. Mostly in all crashes I would have loved to have had a full face on. But it don't work that way.
    Also it's not so black and white. Lots of options between full on DH and weight weenie XC.

Cortex Flow - POC Sports

Trabec - POC Sports

mtbr member
    Just want to get my story out there to promote helmet use (My Giro E2 saved my life), and if I can convince anyone to wear a full face, mission accomplished.

These are words worth listening to. The young, invincible rider is at the most risk because of the "it could never happen to me" syndrome. My suggestion is wear the most protection your ego will allow. Yeah, it will be a bit uncomfortable, however at the end of the day you can shower, and ride tomorrow. If you're broken it takes months to get back to "comfort", if ever.
    While I'm on my soapbox, another suggestion...wear an armored glove. Hands have a lot of nerves in them and don't heal particularly well. The voice of experience.

mtbr member
    the thing of it is..there is no xc fullface helmet..I think some companies have tried but most have fallen short...the closest one is the giro switchblade (Ive got 2 of them) but if you fell in a crash with the thing Im sure the plastic jawbone would snap off...most fullface helmets are pretty hot..Ive got a few of them..and I basically burn up with the things..so I stick to my giro switch...(even tho its prolly not that safe)...I really would like to try the specialized deviant..that seems like it would fair alot better having more vents...there is also the archi-enduro..but its basically the same as the down-o-matic with just a cut out in the front...Im sure it would get hot..(I got a down-o-matic)...good looking helmet but it isnt about looks its about protection.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

T.W.O.

Helmet question?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    the thing of it is..there is no xc fullface helmet..I think some companies have tried but most have fallen short...the closest one is the giro switchblade (Ive got 2 of them) but if you fell in a crash with the thing Im sure the plastic jawbone would snap off...most fullface helmets are pretty hot..Ive got a few of them..and I basically burn up with the things..so I stick to my giro switch...(even tho its prolly not that safe)...I really would like to try the specialized deviant..that seems like it would fair alot better having more vents...there is also the archi-enduro..but its basically the same as the down-o-matic with just a cut out in the front...Im sure it would get hot..(I got a down-o-matic)...good looking helmet but it isnt about looks its about protection.
    Yeah, it's like any other xc helmet, it's not reusable. Once you crash an it did its job you gotta replace it. I'm ok with that as long as I'm walking away after the crash, well paid.

mtbr member
    Amazingly, yesterday I read this thread and then promptly went out and had another close call that could've rearranged my face fairly significantly... fortunately I wasn't hurt. So I have decided to make the switch to FF.

I bought a Bell Exodus. Despite the fact that it came from Wallyworld (and appears to have poor ventilation, it has an excellent fit, and should do the job. I think I made a good buy...

Cow Clicker
    Let us know how it compares to your regular XC helmet.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDesertRat View Post
    Amazingly, yesterday I read this thread and then promptly went out and had another close call that could've rearranged my face fairly significantly... fortunately I wasn't hurt. So I have decided to make the switch to FF.

I bought a Bell Exodus. Despite the fact that it came from Wallyworld (and appears to have poor ventilation, it has an excellent fit, and should do the job. I think I made a good buy...

You plan on wearing this in the Texas Summer heat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    You plan on wearing this in the Texas Summer heat?
    I considered that... I'm sure it will be miserable when summer comes along, but I can always go back to my XC helmet if it becomes completely unbearable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just to update everyone- I've now worn my Remedy CF (full face) on two rides. Comparing to a normal XC helmet, it is a bit more warm (temps have been 75-85), but not uncomfortable by any means. Ventilation seems decent. I have to tell you, it certainly improves my confidence levels, along with the G Form knee and elbow pads I've started wearing.

I was a little self conscious at first about wearing a FF helmet on trails, but honestly, no one even looks twice at me. The only people who give me a WTF look are the people on Harleys (when I briefly cross a road) wearing the tiny skull cap helmets... But really, who is the idiot in that situation?

Bottom line is, the FF helmet is quite comfortable, and given the added protection for your sensitive and fragile part of your head- it's well worth it. I do recommend a carbon helmet to keep the weight down as much as possible. The weight difference between the carbon and non carbon Remedy was surprising.

mtbr member
    Good job dude! Some times i ride at a local dirt jump park and almost no one there has a helmet on, let alone knee pads. If I ever care what others think of my appearance ill buy a Harley.

mtbr member
    I had an accident a couple of weeks ago...I did a face plant and chest plant...my chest got the worst of it...and my giro switchblade really did not offer any protection at all with my face..(and I knew this when I got the helmet)...even tho the brunt of the accident was my chest..I might as well been wearing an open faced helmet...the helmet was ok..so was my face/teeth...so thats what happened..I have a couple of other better full face helmets..which I wish I had been wearing at the time...but its just too hot to wear....I wish some helmet company would tackle this problem.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i used to have a bell mad max? i can't recall the name of it... i was riding last weekend with my specialized commuter helmet on and nailed a tree. left cheek bone and shoulder took the hit. not a scuff or scratch on my helmet.. fast forward to today, i was a bit gun shy going past the trees. i've looked at fox, bell, troy lee, and specialized. i like the giro remedy. you just can't put a price on safety. and then weight. i'm really leaning towards the Remedy CF. thanks for the story PAULUNM. my girlfriend was surprised you didn't get run over by a car on laurel canyon.
    cheers