Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet question

mtbr member

Helmet question

Hey all, looking to get a new helmet soon, and could use some advice. Right now I'm thinking of going with a more skate inspired lid like the Bell Faction, anyone have one?

Do they have removeable pads you can take out and clean?
    Is the ventilation REALLY adequate? Is my head going to fry on 90 degrees days in the sun on XC rides?

I admit, it's not something I'm going to wear on all my rides, only those that are more challenging and technical, lasting 2-3 hours. So the cheaper cost is one factor influencing me since it won't be used daily, and admittedly I think most super vented helmets look kinda dorky. I come from a skatepark background, so it's just a matter of what I'm used to seeing.

Comments and any answers appreciated!

Keepin' it real since '74
    I just bought a Faction for dirt jumping, and I like it a lot. It DOES have removable pads for washing. Also, since they come in sizes S/M & M/L, each helmet comes with 2 sets of pads that have differing thickness so you can get the fit right.

The helmet DOES get hot, which is why I only use if for DJ-ing...under the trees. There's no way I would ride XC, in the 90 degree sun, with that thing on. Your melon will be fried in no time. The ventilation is OK, but not that good. I use a Bell X-Ray for my XC rides.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

mtbr member
    Thanks man. Is it pretty much a given that any skate style helmet is going to get hot like that? Most seem to have similar (lack of) venting...

I think it's safe to say that any skate style helmet will get too hot for XC...especially in 90 degree weather. I'm of the same opinion as you...XC oriented helmets definitely lack looks and style, but that's not what they're made for. They're made for protecting your squash and keeping it cool at the same time. My X-Ray does a good job at both, plus it's so light that I sometimes forget that it's on my head. It's expensive, but I think it's worth the extra money...absolutely the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Hey all, looking to get a new helmet soon, and could use some advice. Right now I'm thinking of going with a more skate inspired lid like the Bell Faction, anyone have one?

Is the ventilation REALLY adequate? Is my head going to fry on 90 degrees days in the sun on XC rides?

I admit, it's not something I'm going to wear on all my rides, only those that are more challenging and technical, lasting 2-3 hours. So the cheaper cost is one factor influencing me since it won't be used daily, and admittedly I think most super vented helmets look kinda dorky. I come from a skatepark background, so it's just a matter of what I'm used to seeing.

since you're used to seeing skate helmets at the skate parks you'll see more bike helmets when you hit the trails. So since not looking dorky is part of your security I'd say skip the skate helmet and get a nice $35 Giro of Bell bike helmet. Otherwise you'll look dorky to all the trail riding cyclists out there. Not to mention the fact that it'll be lighter and provide much better ventilation. Oh and wear it all the time. Think how foolish you'll feel in a wheelchair.

mtbr member
    Can we please not turn this into a helmet versus no helmet debate? I respect everyone's opinions and thier right to them, but seriously it gets old. At least I'm starting to think about wearing a helmet sometimes, better than not at all.

I'll tell you this...the worst crash I've ever had happened on a non-technical section of trail. It was flat and almost straight, so I was pushing it as hard as I could. I hit a patch of sand going full speed, and that's all it took. Before I had time to react, I flew head first into a huge oak tree. It knocked me out for I'm guessing 10 seconds, and my ring finger was pointed 45 degrees from it's normal position. After seeing the ER Dr., he said I was lucky...only a concussion and dislocated finger. He also said that if I HADN'T been wearing a helmet, I would probably have been in a vegetative state for the rest of my life.

Wear it!!!

MTBR Mafia
    listen to trailrash. his name says it all
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Sigh... I'm NOT looking for advice on when to wear a helmet, I'm trying to get advice on what helmet to get. The more this thread gets sidetracked with people trying to tell me when to wear the helmet, the less chances are that I'm going to get the answers I need to my question, and the longer it's going to take me to actually get the darn thing.

PLEASE, I understand the benefits of wearing a helmet, and I have heard countless stories about how they have kept someone from a serious injury. I truly listen to each and everyone one of you, but this is not what I'm looking for right now. Obviously I think that there's a benefit to the things, or else I would not be looking to get one.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to vent, but everytime I try and get some good solid first hand advice on this subject, it turns into a lecture as if I'm a little kid who's too dumb to know better. I'm 30 years old and have been biking my whole life, I only just recently started posting here, thus the low post count. I know the reason to wear a helmet, I'm trying to get one, and asked nicely that this discussion not go this way as it's the same thing I've heard again and again and ultimately keeps people from answering my REAL questions.

I'm truly glad that helmets have helped some of you in the past, instead of lecturing me about it, please help me decide on a helmet to get so that someday I can have those stories too. Cool?

MTBR Mafia
    haha the helmet cops have broken out from there dark cubicles and have found their next victim. although i have gotten waay more "punishment" from them then you have come close to recieving. consider yourself lucky to have escaped alive, so far. they almost got me back on my post about my avatar.

ya really got to watch out. any q's about helmets or head injuries really gets em riled up. and from there it just snowballs
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    ya really got to watch out. any q's about helmets or head injuries really gets em riled up. and from there it just snowballs
    Oh I know all too well, on another forum it turned into a huge debate and name calling (not from me, I wasn't even posting at that point) when all i wanted was some advice on which helmet to get Kinda why I got a little touchy here, it's like "oh no, not again!".

I really don't care if grown-ups choose to wear helmets or not...it's their choice. The thing that DOES p!ss me off is when parents refuse to put helmets on their kids. I see families riding around in the park all the time...the kids are doing stupid sh!t on their bikes, and no helmets in sight.

mtbr member
    So you're saying I shouldn't go for the kid's helmet then?

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Go for one that fits. That's the most important part. Try on different brands and models at shops to see how your noggin holds the helmet. Put 'em on, shake your head about and see how the helmet slides around (it shouldn't). Check the adjustability of the straps and the roc-loc (or whatever the gismo that holds onto the back of the head is called).
    The main diff at higher price points is weight and a couple vents. The one that fits best should be the purchase.
    In case you're curious, I've been using a Giro E2 for years. They fit great, are light. Just wish they were cheaper.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Without gettting into the entire debate I will just post a great deal. I just picked up a Bell X-Ray at performance bike for $60 by having them price match the X-ray price from supergo. If you're considering an XC helmet, it gets you a great helmet a great price.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Thanks WG and CDMC, good advice. My local bike store only stocks Specialized helmets right now, and are currently all out of any in my size My fiance just picked one up there though, I was suprised how light it was, can't imagine them being lighter!

Glad to Be Alive

helmets that don't get used often last 3 years(some people more)....buying a helmet and dividing the price by 3 years and then 12 months you get a very low price....buy a good helmet not a cheapie
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Faller - Expert Class

Here I go again...

with my 2 cents! Right now I have a Giro Atmos which I absolutely love. Light, comfortable, and great ventilation. I know it's technically a "road" helmet, but I never liked the visor setup. I was looking at picking up a Bell Sweep to mount a light on, and to keep just for night rides. Hope this helps a bit!

MTBR Mafia
    haha i ride the specialized allez on xc rides and i think its a roadie helmet too. oh well its been through a lot. i iven was knocked out cold while wearing it and overshooting a jump
    All Mountain was so 2005

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Look at the Giro Semi. Skate/snow board styling. Light. Fits (me) well. Vents OK for me even on 80-90 degree days. Not expensive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks man,I was eying that Semi actually, but couldn;'t find anyone with one.

Thanks man,I was eying that Semi actually, but couldn;'t find anyone with one.
    Try REI. If they do not have the Semi, look for the Cloud 9 snowboard helmet for fit and size. Same base helmet.

REI does sell the Semi on-line.
    mtbtires.com

jrm
    mtbr member

The best of both worlds

The only thing that ive found has the side coverage and form of a DJ helmet wcombined with the ventilation and fit of a XC helmet is the giro Xen. Its expensive..but the brain bucket is somewhere where i wont skimp...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The only thing that ive found has the side coverage and form of a DJ helmet wcombined with the ventilation and fit of a XC helmet is the giro Xen. Its expensive..but the brain bucket is somewhere where i wont skimp...
    The Xen barely covers more than a "standard" helmet and has nowhere near the side and back coverage of the Semi. You can also buy 2-3 Semis for the cost of one Xen.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the REI tip on the Semi, had my rebate check from them sitting here for way too long, that will be a good purchase to use it for! Huge thanks actually, I forgot they carried bike stuff (I use them for camping equipment), so this will definitely help the wallet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast