mtbr member

Helmet for my weird shaped noggin

I used a large giro xen for about 3-4 years and it sat pretty well on my head. I replaced it with another xen that would never sit square on my head... It would away slip to the right side of my head. I tried a bunch of different ways to place extra pads but no matter what it would not work. I replace that with the feature and it did the same thing. My head is 58cm which seems to be between the medium and large on many brands. Next I tried the medium poc and it was a bit too small so I tried the large poc. Again no matter how I adjusted it it tipped to the right. I am now using a bell stoker if I adjust it so it is comfortable it too tips to the right. The one thing about the stoker is that the adjustment mechanism is so strong that I can clamp the helmet to my head to prevent it slipping but I end up feel like my head is being crushed after about 20 min ride time.

I'm guessing that my head is just thin compared to most...any suggestion as to what helmet might work for a 58cm thin ( oval?) head?

mtbr member
    In years past, I've found that Bell fits an oval shape, and Giro fits a round shape. You want the retension system to be as tight as possible, so it won't slip in a crash. If your helmet slips to the side, it's not tight enough.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the bell stoker can certainly clamp down on my head but I now end most rides with a headache and grooves in my forehead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    In years past, I've found that Bell fits an oval shape, and Giro fits a round shape.
    It's the other way around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Noosa, I am assuming that you have tried adjusting the straps by your ears, maybe they need to be at slightly different points.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    Noosa, I am assuming that you have tried adjusting the straps by your ears, maybe they need to be at slightly different points.
    Yep, tried all different strap adjustments. I rode with my old giro xen today and it felt great and sat squarely on my head for a 2.5 hr ride. The only reason I'm looking for something else is that I had 2 really hard crashes on the old xen and figure it should be replaced. I'm going to try a uvex as my head size is right in the middle of the uvex "one size fits all" CC XP lid.