mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Helmet Mount Light Weight LED?

I.m currently running a NR Flight as a handlebar mount, but I'm looking to replace my old L&M halogen helmet mount with an LED light. I read on here somewhere that the Trinewt was pretty heavy, and I'm looking for a fairly lightweight LED that won't give me too much neck strain, and that puts out a nice tight beam for tight and twisty singletrack. Currently looking at the MinewtX2 and the Stella. Is the Minewt as heavy as the Trinewt? Any other reccomendations? I'm not really interested in anything DIY(no electrical skillz), and don't really wanna spend too much more than $300.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure the Minewt is much lighter than the Trinewt but I'm not sure by how much. The Tri is over 200 grams but call NR and see if they know or wait till a rider here weighs his. I'm sure someone will chime in. If I had to guess, I'd say the Minewt weighs around 150 grams or so.

Another option is to go with the Exposure Light JoyStick MaXx- it's a tight and bright beam and it weighs around 75 grams, which is ridiculously light- in a good way.

http://www.exposurelightsusa.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I forgot about the Stella- it's a fantastic little light too. A riding buddy uses just that light. I'd think the weight is listed on the L&M site but if not, just call or email them. It seems to be very light, has a pretty tight main beam but also enough of a wider beam to have a decent field of view.

Dr Gadget is IN

Some general info

Cateye doubleshot is 168g for lighthead and mount.

I've been running a tripleshot on the hat, and its 234g with mount.

Both mount at the very top/center, and are not a noticeable load on my neck.

I also weighed my old NR halogen (nonsmart) - lighthead and mount were 115g.

The NR setup mounts low/forward, and forced me to get a rocloc helmet to keep it from pushing my glasses down.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm really liking the look of the Joystick. No cables to snag and no battery storage issues. I hate feeling the cord tug on my head, the battery bouncing around in a jersey pocket, or removing my pack and almost ripping my helmet off in the process! It also seems to be about the lightest out there? I generally like my NR flight, but if I don't get it back from NR soon(stopped working, less than a year old), it may be getting replaced as well.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

I like Monkeys
    I like my Dinotte 200L. It will come in below your cost, even about half if you go with the AA unit. Plenty of light and low weight. I'm running mine with the lithium battery pack on my helmet and it still isn't bad. I'm impressed with the quality of the light and service from Rob at Dinotte. For a bit over 300 you could get the 200 dual and have even more choices.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    why not look at ordering a single ayup set? If you spec the items seperately, ie one lighthead, helmet mount, 3 hour battery and charger + US adaptor, would work out about 180-190$ including shipping. (i think !!)

I've ridden with these and they are very good. Very small, about 250 lumens according to website, and each led can be tilted if required to increase the beam throw. They have no on/off switch or power settiungs, but after riding with the set i borrowed, i didnt see that as a negative, just less stuff to ever fail / go wrong. 3 beam patterns also available.

I think total weight for light and battery is 130g. Good thing about these lights is they are upgradeable at cost price, and in january higher current batteries are being introduced to increase the brightness....but at the moment they seem to compare well to the Joystick from the experience in my riding group

mtbr member

weights

Here's some weights for you, fresh off the gram scale:

NiteRider MiNewt X.2 weighs 82g. This doesn't include the helmet mount because it doesn't come with it (you must purchase it separately) and I don't have one readily available.

NiteRider TriNewt weighs 222g for the light plus another 58g for the helmet mount or 280g total. Heavy if you ask me. I think the MiNewt helmet mount would be lighter than this as it must be smaller to fit the smaller light.

Light & Motion Stella weighs 62g including the helmet mount.

Light & Motion ARC weighs 140g including the helmet mount.

Hope that helps.

LB

Members who have read this thread: 0