mtbr member
    Oct 2007

helmet light...now what?!

well i bought an intermediate beam Ayup and its on my helmet! Went out for a ride tonight and it works really well, very light too!

Now i'm still after some more light though ( i knew this before i ordered the ayup, it was just so i could do some riding ASAP!)

I'm after a bar light now but am confusing myself with narrow or wide beams. As i have a helmet light which i can now point where i want, should i go for a narrower bar light eg a wilma or a wide flood but less penetrating type one eg an iblaast / Arc. (lets ignore costs at the moment!!)

I'm thinking that as i can point my helmet round corners and where i want to look, i dont need a really wide flood type bar light and a wilma will be a nice light as it will penetrate further then my hemet light. Or shoud i go for a flood type beam, and sacrifice long distance vision. The wilma option seems best in my head (as its not exactly a spot beam, just narrower than Arcs), but am not 100% sure!

As you can probably tell i've never used helmet and bar lights together before!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am certainly not an expert here, being new to the high tech lights, but, I would say get a wider angle for bar mounting. It will show obstacles along the sides and even from above when you are not looking right at them with your helmet light. It should also give a good view of the terrain just in front of your bike.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I run a 200L (Kind of spot, but I think it is intermediate) on the helmet to see through the turns and light were I look and the ARC HID on the handlebar (wide but with punch)
    You usually want this configuration. Gives you better perception I think

mtbr member
    I like a spot on my head and flood on the bars.
    It's go time

Members who have read this thread: 0