Thread: Helmet Help

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Helmet Help

My wife is looking for a pony tail friendly helmet. Any suggestions?
    bus driver wanna be

just a girl

shouldn't be a problem

I have very long hair and have never had an issue w/ any helmet and my ponytail. The trick is your wife has to be willing to secure the ponytail at the base of her neck and not the top or back of her head.

The big problem is how hot the back of the neck gets from the ponytail. This could be solved by pig tails.

T

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    She has frizzy just over the shoulder leangth hair. Her PT seems to hit just abouve the base of her helmet, and if she tries to move it down, well then I'm told that there would be no point in the PT. It makes her helmet slide up and back on her head.

Anyone else have the same issue?
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member

yes..

Had the exact problem last month. My only two criteria were ponytail compatible and lotsa vents. That's a tall order nowadays! The only 'ladies' helmets that Bell and Giro offered didn't have enough vents for me. If the Giro Skyla has enough vents, you may try that one it looks like more air will flow than the Bell ladies equivalent.

Do not get a Bell with GPS, my ponytail did not fit. My fingers wouldn't fit to pull my ponytail through! I just bought a Giro Pnuemo with Rock Loc 4. Ponytail works perfetly fine with it, I think the acculock version of Giro works too. My previous helmet was a 6-7 year old Bell which I liked, but unfortunately they 'improved' their design, apparently just for people w/short hair!

goto giro's website and hit the helmet 'technology' to see their roc loc 4. Works good and fit is fine. Good luck.
    -jewels

Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    She has frizzy just over the shoulder leangth hair. Her PT seems to hit just abouve the base of her helmet, and if she tries to move it down, well then I'm told that there would be no point in the PT. It makes her helmet slide up and back on her head.

just a girl

did i just get luck?

Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    goto giro's website and hit the helmet 'technology' to see their roc loc 4. Works good and fit is fine. Good luck.
    -jewels
    Jewls, do you think it is the fit system, roc lo 4 or the helmet that makes the pony tail happy? I've got a Giro Xen that has the same roc loc 4 system.

T

black & blue

... and if we just ...

Actually, I was just shopping for a helmet a few weeks ago. The Giro E2 (which I have) is ponytail-friendly. Not so for the Giro Xen; I couldn't get my ponytail through on that one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I always wore my hair in pigtails too when I had long hair.. but i don't have to worry about that anymore.. i have a nice aerodynamic cut.

It's not a real sport until it hurts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Smile Help is on the way

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. But I do have a solution for anyone with long hair who wishes to wear their ponytail THROUGH their helmet.

I have recently filed for U.S. Patent Rights on a new design and I am working with a marketing company to bring it to market. THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISMENT.

I have a web site that you can visit to view the proto type of my motorcycle helmet that I first modified. http://www.pthms.zoomshare.com/ . I also have modified my Bell Advenger helmet for my bicycle riding days. I ride here in the valley atleast 3-5 days a week and everyone loves my ponytail helmet.

If you contact me through my e-mail @ ponytailhelmets.com I will give you the directions for FREE on how to modify your own helmet. It is fairly simple to do and really easy to use. The parts can be purchased at your local Home Depot and the total cost is under $10.00. Time to modify is approx. 15 mins.

Of course when they are manufactured the parts will be of different materials however, for the time being until they are available for sale, this is a very easy way to allieviate the pain and pressure of a ponytail in the helmet, and it also keeps your hair off your neck!

This may not work for all helmets but it works for mine and maybe yours.

brg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehelmetgirl
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. But I do have a solution for anyone with long hair who wishes to wear their ponytail THROUGH their helmet.

http://www.pthms.zoomshare.com/1.sht...ELMET%20PHOTOS
    hmmm...this is interesting - it looks cool but I found the wind is very damaging to my hair when riding a motorcycle. (I have fairly long hair)

So when on my moto - I put it up in a bun and put my helmet on. my hair stays much more healthy that way. YMMV.

I can't do the same w/my bicycle helmet but then again I don't ride as fast on my bicycle as I do on my moto!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could always try what I just did...

cut all your hair off

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    hmmm...this is interesting - it looks cool but I found the wind is very damaging to my hair when riding a motorcycle. (I have fairly long hair)

So when on my moto - I put it up in a bun and put my helmet on. my hair stays much more healthy that way. YMMV.

I can't do the same w/my bicycle helmet but then again I don't ride as fast on my bicycle as I do on my moto!

By using the ponytail helmet, while on on moto, I have found I don't have no where near the tangles after riding even long distance. Your hair remains straight behind the helmet and you can finger pick the tangles out. My hair is not only healthier than before, it's staying longer because I'm not ripping it out after each ride. No more split ends!
    This really does work great. It also stops the itchies and heat build up ( hot spots).
    My hair is mid way down my back.

I tried to put mine in a bun but it seemed to give me a headache from the pressure.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...I also have modified my Bell Advenger helmet for my bicycle riding days. I ride here in the valley atleast 3-5 days a week and everyone loves my ponytail helmet.

If you contact me through my e-mail @ ponytailhelmets.com I will give you the directions for FREE on how to modify your own helmet. It is fairly simple to do and really easy to use. The parts can be purchased at your local Home Depot and the total cost is under $10.00. Time to modify is approx. 15 mins...
    The Avenger is a (low tech) hard shell skate-type helmet.

Have you tried this on a high-end cycling helmet like this?

I would not want to cut a hole in the back of most of the cycling helmets on the market.

(I am a guy and I do have a ponytail)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    You could always try what I just did...

cut all your hair off
    Yeah, that doesn't work for some of us though.

My mom convinced me how "easy" it would be to have really short hair once. Thing is, my hair has just enough natural curl to be absolutely out of control if it isn't midway down my back or so. (The weight makes it behave...) So with short hair, I have to spend a minimum of half an hour with a curling iron to make it quit going 10 different directions or look like a freak going out in public. With long hair I can throw it in a ponytail or put it in a twist and it takes 30 seconds or less to do my hair. No way will I ever go through the hassle of short hair again.

I don't know that I want my hair actually going through my helmet though. I generally just put it in pigtail braids for sports requiring a helmet and that seems to work just fine. The braids keep it from getting tangled in the wind.

Trail Goddess

Ponytails low

I recently cut my hair from midback to the base of my neck. I got tired of the long hair weight headaches and sweaty,itchy head. I still wear a ponytail while out on the trail, but I had to learn to wear a base of the head style instead of my favored topknot. It's just proof that mt biking helmets are still aimed at the guys w/ short hair. I wish they would just realise that women like riding too and include women in the design side of things. I think larger holes in the back of the helmets would allow not only for hair flow but also airflow. Personally, the ponytail has to use a small rubberband or it also causes that back to inch up, the front down into my eyes. If anyone figures out how to enlarge the holes on a Giro Venus helmet without ruining it let me know please.

Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

swashbucklerette
    If you contact me through my e-mail @ ponytailhelmets.com I will give you the directions for FREE on how to modify your own helmet.
    I'm an expert female motorcycle roadracer with long hair (mid-back), so I spend a lot of time on the bike at high rates of speed. Just some feedback on your idea.

First, I spend on average about $500 on my helmets for riding and racing. I puchase a helmet about once every 2 years. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is safety, so I only purchase top-of-the line helmets. I'm currently racing with an AGV XR2. Your design requires a hole to be drilled in the helmet. My concern is how this compromises the safety of the helmet. The Snell and DOT tests that the helmets were certified to were performed with no hole in the helmet, so introducing the hole voids those certifications. Additionally, how does the user know that the drilling process doesn't introduce fractures in the shell, impact absorbing liner, and padding, compromising the performance of those materials in the event of a crash?

Second, my AGV Owner Instruction manual states under Section E of Information for Users : "No attachments should be made to the helmet except those recommended by the helmet manufacturer. Do not drill or cut the shell." Did you obtain such recommendations by each helmet manufacturer for your invention?

Third, after spending $500 on a helmet, I am turned off by the idea of drilling a hole in it.

Personally, I would not use this product. My concern above all else is safety, and drilling a huge hole in a helmet when the manufacturer advises against it just doesn't seem smart. Also, in the event of a crash, the hair can be ground off due to being trapped between the helmet and the pavement. A fellow female racer had this happen when wearing pigtails under her helmet. She crashed, and one pigtail was caught between the shoulder of her leathers and the pavement, grinding it off. This invention may add to that risk due to the location of the ponytail on the exterior of the helmet.

swashbucklerette

If the helmet slides with a low ponytail in place, then it sounds like it doesn't fit correctly.

I keep a low ponytail, and use the HairGlove to keep it out of the way. My hair is so long that pigtails swing down in front of me and get wrapped around stuff.

L1MEY
    I wear my pony tail low (my hair is mid-back length). Never had any problems with any of my helmets being pushed out of place... I used to have a Giro Venus until I broke it, now I wear a Giro Havoc. It does get a bit hot sometimes though with the hair flowing around my neck if the wind blows the wrong way. However, I tend not to think about it too much and I don't really notice it while I'm riding... it'd probably be more of a nuisance if my hair was curly instead of straight though.

- Jen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    I'm an expert female motorcycle roadracer with long hair (mid-back), so I spend a lot of time on the bike at high rates of speed. Just some feedback on your idea.

First, I spend on average about $500 on my helmets for riding and racing. I puchase a helmet about once every 2 years. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is safety, so I only purchase top-of-the line helmets. I'm currently racing with an AGV XR2. Your design requires a hole to be drilled in the helmet. My concern is how this compromises the safety of the helmet. The Snell and DOT tests that the helmets were certified to were performed with no hole in the helmet, so introducing the hole voids those certifications. Additionally, how does the user know that the drilling process doesn't introduce fractures in the shell, impact absorbing liner, and padding, compromising the performance of those materials in the event of a crash?

Second, my AGV Owner Instruction manual states under Section E of Information for Users : "No attachments should be made to the helmet except those recommended by the helmet manufacturer. Do not drill or cut the shell." Did you obtain such recommendations by each helmet manufacturer for your invention?

Third, after spending $500 on a helmet, I am turned off by the idea of drilling a hole in it.

Personally, I would not use this product. My concern above all else is safety, and drilling a huge hole in a helmet when the manufacturer advises against it just doesn't seem smart. Also, in the event of a crash, the hair can be ground off due to being trapped between the helmet and the pavement. A fellow female racer had this happen when wearing pigtails under her helmet. She crashed, and one pigtail was caught between the shoulder of her leathers and the pavement, grinding it off. This invention may add to that risk due to the location of the ponytail on the exterior of the helmet.
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't really imagine drilling a helmet would be good for it. Unless it was designed with that in mind or there was testing done after the modifications to prove it still functioned as designed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Go with Braids

I have long hair (mid-back) and prefer to ride with my hair in pigtails. This keeps my hair untangled while riding and is easy to wear with any helmet. When I was growing my hair out and it wasn't long enough to braid, I would ride with it in two low to the neck pony tails (you look like a puppy dog, which can be cute). I have an older Giro (Exodus) with roc lok that works for a traditional pony tail in the back. I find wearing a low ponytail in the back to be uncomfortable, especically when it's warm. I suggest you go to your LBS and try on all the helmets wearing your hair the way you want to ride. Something will fit - hopefully not just the $150 models!