Thread: Helmet Help

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Helmet Help

I need a new helmet.

I currently use a Fox L/XL and it is both, too tight on my head and my head doesnt sit deep enough in the helmet (i feel like the helmet is sitting on top of my head rather than my my head sitting inside of the helmet)

Any suggestions for XL helmets that are deeper?

My LBS suggested that i look for an all mountain style helmet.

HELP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could try 661 recon, Giro Zen, Giro zar, and Giro feature. There also the poc trabec, urge enduro OR as a last resort the Bern Brentwood. Kali helmets are also interesting looking. Hope this helps, but you really should try on as much helmet as possible. Keep us updated!

SANCTUS
    I feel like just about any helmet I try on looks likes it is perched up on top of my big cranium.I believe the top end race helmets have less foam..(.or whatever it is) between your skull and the helmet shell thus making them look much less dorkified.Giro Aeon Cycling Helmets try one of these on at your LBS? I know its a road helmet, I see a lot of Xcountry racers using such a helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I feel the same BUSTELO. I've ordered the Giro Feature hoping that it would provide better coverage. For now I have a Bell Sequence and it's basically as you described, sitting on top of my head. I will give you guys feedback once I receive the helmet. The only helmet that I have tried on that actually fits is one of the Bern helmets. So if the Feature does not workout, the Bern Bentwood is next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    I feel like just about any helmet I try on looks likes it is perched up on top of my big cranium.I believe the top end race helmets have less foam..(.or whatever it is) between your skull and the helmet shell thus making them look much less dorkified.Giro Aeon Cycling Helmets try one of these on at your LBS? I know its a road helmet, I see a lot of Xcountry racers using such a helmet.
    those are sick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have alaways had issues with fox fitments, love any bell made tho

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    You could try 661 recon, Giro Zen, Giro zar, and Giro feature. There also the poc trabec, urge enduro OR as a last resort the Bern Brentwood. Kali helmets are also interesting looking. Hope this helps, but you really should try on as much helmet as possible. Keep us updated!
    ya.. what he said helmets one of those things I'll always recommend going to a shop (many shops even better) and trying on instead of online-mail order. Everyones head is shaped different and sometimes a cheapo helmet will feel better than some big name brand one.

Once you find one/brand that fits you when you goto replace it then mail order it if you like... but a good fitting helmet is kinda important to having a good ride, at least for me. Gotten head aches more than once by not having a proper fit skull protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I really liked the Giro Xen (don't think it's made any more though). Just bought a Giro Zar...maybe even better! Giro stands behind their products...a few months ago they send me all new innards for my old Xen free of charge. (Yes I now have 2 helmets!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Zar is available in Matte black...just like old Zen.

The Wiking
    i'm 59 cm in diameter, and i've found that bell suits my needs just perfectly, and the 'gps' adjustment is very nimble.. I would go for the volt og the sweep... or alternatively the newer more mtb oriented range, but i havent ridden with those... Bell gets a reccommandation from my nugget!
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Radon View Post
    i'm 59 cm in diameter, and i've found that bell suits my needs just perfectly, and the 'gps' adjustment is very nimble.. I would go for the volt og the sweep... or alternatively the newer more mtb oriented range, but i havent ridden with those... Bell gets a reccommandation from my nugget!
    just so ya know.. Bell and Giro are the same company... Bell/Easton
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

The Wiking
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    just so ya know.. Bell and Giro are the same company... Bell/Easton
    seriously?

did not know that... ... thx i guess
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Radon View Post
    seriously?

did not know that... ... thx i guess
    yup.. didn't know myself till I went to get a new pad for my Giro Helmet... good thing too.. now I know the "fit" I like so much with my giro should be similar with a Bell... which is about all I can afford right now and My helmet's taken a few to many hits
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/