mtbr member
    May 2006

Helmet on the handlebars?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but search turned up nothing... I have noticed lately that some people carry their helmets on their handlebars when riding trails. I just dont understand the point of this.. do people's heads get that hot when riding? If so, get a helmet with more vents for christ's sake. I would think that a helmet hanging/swinging from the end of my bars would jack up my balance a bit, but maybe thats just me. I have seen more than a few people doing this and I always want to say somthing to them but its really none of my business. Unless of course i ride up upon a tangled wreck where the bikers head is split open spilling brains on the trail. Then i would have to say somthing like.. at least your handlebars are ok.

Seriously though, has anyone done this or witnessed this behavior?

TP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ive seen it, and used to do it once in a while on long, hot fireroad climbs when speeds are 5 mph or so. Sure, someone may crash into you, but I'd say thats a reasonable risk to take.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I suppose that is reasonable, but traversing singletrack with it on your bars or strapped to the camelback is what im talkin about. Probably a majority of the people i have seen do fit the scenario you speak of but there have been those few that I do really wonder about. Oh well.

mtbr member
    I have seen it but its usually younger kids trying to be cool. Because as we all know cool kids do not wear helmets
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

The Notorious S.L.O

I have seen it, quite a bit in fact

I rode a trail this weekend that climbs over 1700 ft in just over three miles, doubtful that anyone breaks single digit speeds, alot of riders, many on some high dollar bikes, make the climb without the helmet, although, they are in the minority.
    Maybe I am just a big enough dork to fall over at 4mph, struggle to get unclipped,and slide down a steep embankment, and be thankful that I had a helmet on.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Master of None
    I throw my FF helmet on my bars for those long fireroad climbs, as long as there aren't many rocks.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    Seriously though, has anyone done this or witnessed this behavior?

TP
    I do this all the time...many of our trails are wide and hardpacked sandy forest floor, we never wear helmets here...but I bring one along for when we get into the technical singletrack, rocks and roots...also, I never wear a helmet on the road rides

AKA Dr.Nob
    This may be a me but I put my helmet on when I walk out the door and take it off when I get back home. Putting ot on my bars would just annoy me.

It's mostly kids on BMX bikes that ride with their helmets on the bars around here. One kid I saw a few months back was so cool he had both his helmet AND his baseball cap on the bars.

It's a well known fact that chicks find head injuries sexy!
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If my helmet is with me, I wear it. If I'm not wearing one, I don't have it. A good helmet has plenty of airflow and a nice sweat pad up front. No reason to stuff it in a backpack.

On city streets, a lot of times I don't even bother. I just avoid sticky situations.

LCI #1853
    Your helmet belongs on your noggin... not your bars!

It doesn't take much of a fall to get a concussion... even tipping over from a trackstand will do it for you. 75% of cyclists who die from bike crashes die from brain injury. Also, 75% of riders who suffer long-term or permanently disabling injury in crashes are due to -- you probably guessed it -- brain injuries. Your brain doesn't heal where you hurt it... and it may take a long time for it to re-wire the circuits so that it can bypass or at least compensate for the hurt spots.

Wear your helmet every time you swing your leg over the top tube, but ride like you don't... e.g., ride so as not to crash (too badly, anyways...)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "On city streets, a lot of times I don't even bother. I just avoid sticky situations"

I hear you; I dont always wear one when riding to the store or somthing like. But i do make sure my kids always have one on, always. I guess that makes me a hippocite. -But having a helmet dangling from the bars would just annoy me and get in the way. (just as gumbymark stated)

The kids on bmx bikes probably are made by their parents to wear them, but when they walk out of the house and around the corner they take them off.

Maybe if they dont want to mess up their hair they sould don a hairmet.

... note to self.. check on your kids after they get around the corner...

When did you get here?!?!
    Not much to add here except.... Crashes always seem to happen when I least expect it.... and the crashes that go on and on and on and on are usually the ones when folks are climbing tech singletrack and fall over the edge... and tumble again and again.
    In my races it is a DQ offense to be riding at any time during the race without a helmet
    But on to my real reason for posting here... nice avatar, are you on the Ween forum as well?
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I leave my regular helmet on 99.5% of the time. My brother and I used to climb with our helmets strapped to our packs until he fell over while dismounting, landed on the helmet and broke it. The full face gets strapped to my pack for the boring climb and goes on my head once the trail gets interesting. It's just too hot to climb with.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Helmet on the handlebars?
    Duh! how else does one protect one's handlebars.

Members who have read this thread: 0