mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Helmet and Goggle Suggestions

Im looking for a new DH helmet and was wondering what some of you guys are wearing and would recommend. I've been looking at helmets from SixSixOne, Bell, Giro, Fox etc and theres just so many choices. I'm looking for something pretty cheap, comfy (duh) lightweight (well as light as you can get for a low end helmet) and somewhat cool looking. What do you guys suggest? I'd also like to know what you guys think about goggles. Are they necessary or does a pair of sunglasses work just as well? Im thinking of either the Oakley O frame or Fox Main but I'm open to any other ideas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'd go with whatever feels the most comfortable as far as a helmet goes. I use a 661 right now and just tried on a Fox today that felt a hell of alot more comfortable, but the facemask blocked my view a little bit where my 661 doesn't. I used to use a pair of Smith sport sunglasses with frameless bottoms but switched to goggles this year. I tried on a few different Smiths, Oakleys, and Dragons. The cheapest Smiths ($35) ended up fitting the best, no block of vision, and good ventilation. They never fog up. Sunglasses work but if you're going to ride often, go with goggles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just picked up a Giro Remedy 2008 model for $60 at Wheel World. It fit's great and feels great!

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Giro Remedy and low end Smith Goggles. Although I just totally trashed my Remedy and am in need of replacement, so I'll be watching this thread closely lol.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i have been ridin a remedy for a year and i love it. only gripe is the large profile, i just tried on a troy lee d2 that was the correct size for me for the first time and its mega comfy but they are pricey. and sunglasses should work fine, but i would reccomend goggles. oakley of course. i just imagine sunglasses wouldnt be very stable on rough dh trails so i would def say get some goggles. you can find them pretty cheap for some basic ones. as far as helmets go as long as you get the correct size it should be comfortable. look at 661, the, troy lee, and giro. cant go wrong with any of those. let us know what you choose!

brake later, pedal sooner
    i've use THE helmets, 661 helmets, and the Giro Remedy CF is still my favorite in terms of comfort. I'm on my second one..the THE helmet is also excellent, but I think better deals can be had on the Giro.

yes, I crash a lot...or did at least, i've tone it down a bit now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride with a Giro Remedy CF, if i didnt get pro form deal on it, I would have gone with regular remedy. I agree it has a large profile but the comfort is worth it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ive done some research and have come up with four possible helmets. Giro remedy, Bell drop, and Fox rampage (all are $130) and the SixSixOne strike ($100). I looked at some of the THE helmets and really liked some of the graphics and designs but I cant find a dealer in my area to try one on. I think its between the remedy and the drop so far or maybe you guys could recommend something better in that price range?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i've also looked at the pro tec auger and shovelhead 2. they both seem good for the money

Locs on Spokez
    D2 carbon

Oakley Crowbar
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Now with More Wood
    I like my 661 Comp 2, good value helmet, light enough, breathes OK, looks good enough. Not as bling as a nice TLD or THE, but does the job. Can't really say I recommend it over a nicer helmet, you know, not the top of the line or anything, but I picked mine up for super cheap...

As for the goggles - Oakley Crowbar MX are great. Real happy with them, these I can definitely recommend. Great optics, don't fog up too much, and yes, at bit of bling never hurts... :-)
    Great choice of replacement lenses as well, easy to keep a few different ones around for different light conditions.
    If you want to go a bit cheaper, Oakley O frames also work a treat.

Definitely do go with goggles over sunglasses though - keeps the wind and dust out of your eyes, + much better protection, especially if there are trees and bushes where you ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    D2 carbon

Oakley Crowbar
    yep, i've tried a couple of other helmets and none compare to a TLD D2 (havent tried D3 yet)

same goes for the Oakley Crowbars!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    D2 carbon

Oakley Crowbar
    might as well go for a d raptor while im at it

mtbr member
    Check out this helmet, its cheap but well worth it
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ce+Helmet.aspx.

I use it with Thor enemy googles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet and Goggle Suggestions-dscf4689.jpg  

mtbr member
    the large profile on the GIRO remedy is sometimes a pain but the comfort is deffenetly worth it but i might be upgrading to a 661 evolution the new black white one

and crowbars are the only way to go
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS

mtbr member
    Giro remedy fir sure. I got the carbon fiber an it's very light for a full face. The Troy lees are pretty damn hot and stupid expensive. Let your riding do the talking, not your gear.
    Cleverly disguised as an adult

FPT
    Aug 2009
    THE/ TLD D2 or D3, oakley Crowbars.
    I've used Von Zipper Porkchops and one of the latest VZ Sizzle XTs, and both dont sit as comfortably on my face as the Oakleys. I have to admit, i veered in the direction of VZs as I was on the lookout for an alternative to the oakley's, which I thought were sitting abit to small on my face, that was until i tried on the porkchops and bushwicks (bought this one for hte look tbh), and promptly ran back to the crowbars.

Just one thing about riding without goggles: at a recent race, a buddy who normally rides without goggles, had a minor crash, but on taking his helmet off, found he had gashed his head just above the eyebrow. Not the helmet. So we surmised it might have been an object that entered the helmet where the goggles would normally sit.
    Now i know goggles werent exactly meant to do that, but I reckon my buddy learnt his lesson and will ride with goggles henceforth on similar tracks (dusty, rocky gnarly)
    Bit arb, but food for thought.

mtbr member
    TLD D2 and Oakley Crowbar

ride.

slow reeezay
    Giro Remedy Carbon + Smith Sweat X

Excellent combo, comfy safe

Only downside is the large profile but thats what makes it comfy and safe!
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hecticj
    Giro Remedy Carbon + Smith Sweat X

Excellent combo, comfy safe

Only downside is the large profile but thats what makes it comfy and safe!
    yeah the huge profile kills me
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS