Totally Rad
    Jun 2005

Helmet fit, which to check out

Ok, so last Thursday I took a huge biff. My helmet kept me from being killed by a rock. Yay helmet. Sadly, the helmet gave it's life for me. So I need a new one.

My question, for anyone experienced with lots of different helmets, is which ones should I check out? No local stores have huge selections, so I'm going to have to hunt them down and check them out. My current destroyed helmet is a Giro Gila. It's a medium size. Front to back it's a little too snug. Side to side, it's pretty loose.

What manufacturer makes a more oblong helmet? Something narrow but deep from front to back? I'd like something with a little extra coverage like the Giro Xen or Semi MX, tho I fear they won't fit right. I plan on trying them out if I can find them in stock somehere.

Any ideas?

-Jim

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Draisine Velocipede, PHD
    What manufacturer makes a more oblong helmet? Something narrow but deep from front to back? I'd like something with a little extra coverage like the Giro Xen or Semi MX, tho I fear they won't fit right. I plan on trying them out if I can find them in stock somehere.
    If you're looking for that kind of coverage, you're looking at the two best that came to my mind. Xen helmets fit amazingly comfortable though pricey. Never tried the semi mx.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    I not sure if this is true. My first helmet was Bell and my current helmet is a Giro E2. I think Giro helmets are a rounded shape. Bell helmets seem to be more oblong and I think fit my head better. I love everything about the Giro E2 except the way it fits my head, too much space on the sides. Guess I'm just an egghead.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Giros are generally rounder helmets. Bells more oval.

I have a oval head. Most Bells fit me. Most Giros do not.

The exception is the Giro Semi. My favorite helmet
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Red trail or blue trail?
    May 2005
    I also like the one handed adjustments of the higher end Bell Helmets. Put it on, twist the knob in the back and you're off. The few Giro helmets I tried did not adjust as easily. I have a '05 Bell Xray and love it. Comfy, not heavy at all and it does a nice job protecting me from the elements like rocks and huge immovable "hardwood" trees.
    Remember to keep the rubber side down. It hurts a lot less that way.

MTB B'dos
    Yup definitely the BElls are a more "ovaled" shape and Giro's are more circular. When I was geting my helmet I had this same problem and ended up with a Bell. Check out their X-Ray, Influx, Aquila.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Totally Rad
    Jun 2005
    Ok thanks all. Well I ended up having to go to Supergo (noone else had all the helmets I wanted to check out). Most of the Bells did indeed fit better, but the Giro Xen actually DID fit pretty well. I ended up buying that one. (Tho the Bells generally were a better fit.)

The part of the XEN that doesn't quite fit is the..hmm...like imagine I had a MR T. mohawk, and then drew an outline around the perimeter of the hair, the 2 lines (one on each side of the main mohawk)....right there....there is a little too much room there, the top of my head and sides of my head make contact, but there is play on the..whatever you call that spot...

So my new question...where can I get some extra foam paddy things? Or does anyone know a good way to devise some? I've got all kinds of different foams laying around, but double sided tape won't hold them in place. rubber cement?

L1MEY
    So my new question...where can I get some extra foam paddy things? Or does anyone know a good way to devise some? I've got all kinds of different foams laying around, but double sided tape won't hold them in place. rubber cement?
    Extra foam pads usually come with new helmets, but if you don't have any, self adhesive velcro would be a good way to fix extra padding inside. That way you can replace the pads when they get all sweaty and nasty. I might have some spares lying around from a couple of crashed helmets in our household. PM me your address and I'll send you some if I can find them.

- Jen.