life is a barrel o'fun

Helmet cleaning?

Recommendations??
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Mild soap and water is what I use......sometimes only water to get the worst dust and sweat of. I have thrown the inside padding of my helmet (Giro E2 & Giro Switch blade) in the machine a couple of times......worked well for me......recommended it to a friend and his padding got eaten by the machine.......

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Recommendations??
    - Add 4 parts water and 1 part Dr. Bonners in a spray bottle.
    - Spray helmet, paying particular attention to soak salt stains on chin strap. Yuck.
    - Hang helmet from mat clip at power car wash and rinse using spray wand on low setting from a few feet away. Note: Do not aim power wash spray wand anywhere near your bike.
    - Clip helmet on top tube and allow to air dry driving to or from your next ride.

Dr. Bonner's is in your grocery store. And it'll clean anything.

Glue Sniffer
    I've never cleaned my helmet.

It's been about 2 years.

I feel like such a dirty, dirty girl.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use. www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Recommendations??
    I take the pads out and put them in a lingerie bag with my gloves and throw them in the delicate wash once every couple weeks in the summer. They've lasted several years with this treatment, although they have faded quite a bit. As for the rest of the lid, I stick it in the sink with some Woolite and give it a hand wash. Not as often as the pads, like maybe once a month whenever the straps get too crusty with salt. I have more than one helmet, so I use the other when one is getting cleaned and dried (it can take a day or two to dry in the humid east-coast summer). Since I get my helmets at clearance sales, it's no big deal to own more than one.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

bob
    mtbr member

garden hose

I spray my helmet with a garden hose inside and out. Don't blast it, just spray it. Once it's soaked, I hang it up to dry. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem.

Bodhisattva
    Dishwasher.
    No, seriously.
    Throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Does a great job on body armor too.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

life is a barrel o'fun
    Connie, join the club- I never wash mine, but it's getting impossible to ignore!

The pads tend to slip, so I was wondering how people go about washing them. Maybe I'll add some Velcro, no dishwasher or decent grocery stores but I like tossing stuff into the wash (well, not the helmet itself!)

I'm glad nobody suggested that spray found in bowling alleys for shoes.....{{{shudder}}}
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Trail Sanitizer
    Top rack of the dishwasher. I put helmets, gloves and hydration packs in there with no problems. I don't use the heated dry because it doesn't do enough to make a difference. Just take it out and air dry them.

Oh - one more thing. Don't use laundry detergent in the dishwasher. Don't ask me how I know.

Tracking up the place
    Does anyone know where to pickup the center pads for an 04 E2 Giro...My Lbs's have the helmet kit box..but alas no pads for the particular helmet and they seem to be designed only for the E2 ...one of a kind..I looked at the Giro site but not able to contact them... Help me, please...
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I just use the kitchen sink

I fill 'er up with some dish detergent like I'm going to wash dishes (you don't need much soap) and just wash it in the sink. I used to take the pads out and wash them by hand seperately until I noticed it tends to make the pads rip and the velcro performs worse. So, I just wash the whole shebang for a few minutes. Then I just hang it over my bathtub to drip dry (I mounted one of those spring loaded curtain rods just above the shower head to drip dry all my bike cloths and accessories). Same deal for Camelbak - I throw that in the water after the helmet is done.

If you wash them like every 2-3 rides, it's really easy and they smell clean. The first time might take an extended cleaning.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    Does anyone know where to pickup the center pads for an 04 E2 Giro...My Lbs's have the helmet kit box..but alas no pads for the particular helmet and they seem to be designed only for the E2 ...one of a kind..I looked at the Giro site but not able to contact them... Help me, please...
    I just contacted giro and they sent me new pads without any fuss! Great Customer service!

You can reach them at feedback(at)giro(dot)com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I like dirty girls...

Just wanted to say...

Glad to Be Alive
    blow out the dust then spray down with a hose. Next dunk a few times in a bucket of soapy water. let it sit for 5 minutes then dunk a few times more rinse off and let dry....works great on Full face helmets too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Its only 1" on the map!

Da Sink

The sink works just fine for me