Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beyond the stars

Helmet Cams . . .

Who's got them?

What kind, brand/manufacture?

What do you like about them, what don't you like about them?

Are they easy to use, easy to set up? Tips, tricks, what works, what doesn't?

Yup
    CAMERA

This one is pretty cool. I'm about to pick one up, along with a 1GB memory stick. I rode with a guy who had one at is pretty slick. IMO it's almost perfect for mountain biking because it is so small, and it comes with a lipstick camera along with a protective pouch.

Beyond the stars

Here is what Pete Fagerlin's site

says about the Samsung:

Isn't that Samsung Scx105 sports camera with the helmetcam thingy just awesome?

No, it's a particularly bad combination of low res lipstick cam and MPEG4 capture onto solid state memory cards. Starting with poor quality raw footage and being limted by the use of a card (as opposed to a tape) is a bad idea. Editing the footage is another can of worms.

Now it's not that Pete is the world's leading authority on helmet cams, but I'm sure he has shot a few in his time, so I might be inclined to take his word for it on this one and stay away from the MPEG4 capture.

Yup
    Sorry for offering my opinion, obviously you've posted in the wrong forum. Pete has email. Why don't you go to the source and ask what he likes and how much it costs. Size won't be an issue because your personal action shots won't be worth watching anyway, so you don't having to worry about lugging the camera in your Camelback while riding. I have an idea though, when your wife's done filming you huck the curb in front of your house, you can hike up the trails and film us at strategic points along the way. That way you'll have some real action footage and you can still tell everybody you were on the trail. It's like killing two birds with 1 stone. Whaddya say?

Beyond the stars

Jeeze . . .

don't get all butt-hurt because I offered up 'someone else's different opinion' that's all it is someone's opinion . . .

I don't think there is anything wrong with your opinion on samsung, I'm not too sure about the whole "only mpeg4 files and no tape" thingie.

If it makes you feel like such a big man to put me down, have at it! I don't care what you think or say about me . . . I'll still ride and have fun

besides, curb hucks rule!

Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    don't get all butt-hurt because I offered up 'someone else's different opinion' that's all it is someone's opinion . . .
    The tone in your response was very smug and condescending, as it is in most of your posts.

besides, curb hucks rule!
    If that's the case you better keep practicing...

And BTW, a 9" travel bike will roll over a 5" rock
    Last edited by AZ Saint; 07-17-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Beyond the stars

hum, let me think for a minute . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Saint
    The tone . . .
    tone, implies sound and unless I'm missing something there is no sound on the boards (I mean unless you are sight-impaired and your computer is reading out loud to you with voice inflection and everything)

So, my response was simply "this is what someone else said" that's all.

I'm interested in all opinions on 'lipstick' cams and their setup and usage. (I thought CycleJunkie or someone had one and I was wondering what their experiences were)

What does it matter if someone is a good rider, or a bad rider . . . as long as THEY enjoy the ride?

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Viosport!

I'm interested in all opinions on 'lipstick' cams and their setup and usage. (I thought CycleJunkie or someone had one and I was wondering what their experiences were)
    I have an Adventure Cam 3 from Viosport. It has 520 lines of TV resolution (the most I've seen in any lipstick camera). The kit for the AC3 is pretty cool. It comes with a rechargeable battery pack so you don't have to mess around with batteries. You can also buy a filter pack for the lens to deal with sunlight.

I've never used the Samsung but my guess is that the quality of footage would be on the lower side. You can't use a LANC remote and can't change out your lens (or add a filter). It sounds like there might be some video editing limitations with the dedicated format.

Approx. $600 seems a little high for what you're getting. I guess if you don't already have a mini DV camcorder it might be the way to go, but I'd prefer the flexibility and higher quality of a lipstick camera that hooks up to a camcoder.

Just my two cents worth...

Beyond the stars

thanks

that is the kind of information I am looking for.

any details on mounting to helmets, tips on shooting, what works, what doesn't, how do you carry your camera and the recharge pack? etc. you know just your overall experience from using it for a while, what works for you?

I'm no expert but...

that is the kind of information I am looking for.

any details on mounting to helmets, tips on shooting, what works, what doesn't, how do you carry your camera and the recharge pack? etc. you know just your overall experience from using it for a while, what works for you?
    Make sure to angle the camera on the helmet high enough to accommodate your riding position otherwise all your footage will be of the ground and not the rider in front of you. Which brings up another point... Film with a rider in front of you. 1) footage of just the trail gets boring fast. 2) Having a rider in the shot gives more perspective to the trail and makes the video flow more smoothly. One cool thing about the Viosport AC3 is that the battery pack has a bolt that fastens to the tripod mount of your typical camcorder. I ride with a Camelbak Hawg and just stuff the camera/battery pack into the large compartment of the Hawg. There's only one cable coming up from the pack to the camera so it's a pretty clean setup. Adobe Premiere is a great video editing software. I'm still learning stuff myself. Hope this helps. Enjoy...

mtbr member
    tone, implies sound and unless I'm missing something there is no sound on the boards (I mean unless you are sight-impaired and your computer is reading out loud to you with voice inflection and everything)
    Hhmmmm, this might literally be the funniest thing you have ever written Doug.

(Do I need to remind you what sparked the whole Doug-Jeff war of words?)
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 07-18-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Beyond the stars

Oh, I'm so glad you are back . . .

I could "try" to offer up some witty comments, or a well-thought out response, but that just wouldn't fit right . . .

So, I'll try "Bite me sucka!"

Yup

So, my response was simply "this is what someone else said" that's all.

What does it matter if someone is a good rider, or a bad rider . . . as long as THEY enjoy the ride?
    TONE

Check #4 smartass. I guess you should've THUNK a little longer.

Beyond the stars

Ok . . .

how about this.

I intended no actual tone to my response (either precieved or implied) only to present 'additional, other, seperate yet not equal infomation'

I did not intend to imply or give the impression that your response was in any way wrong, or bad . . .

you said (A) and I said "so-and-so said his opinion on (A) was blah, blah" now I did mention that so-and-so has some background in (the original question) so that would be factored in, that is not to say that your infomation isn't useful or helpful, just different.

You say (A) . . .

The info. I found on Pete's site said (B) . . .

CycleJunkie said (C) . . .

it's all good, reasonable information, that is what I wanted.

I would be interested in your experience with the whole 'memory stick vs. tape' and there was some information on the DH/FR board about a guy's experiences using the Samsung model you suggested . . .

Just taking a bunch of information in

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reading this thread is like watching a train wreck-I want to turn away and ignore the juvenile behavior but I just have to look.

Looking at post #3, I did not sense anything bad in the reply, other than Pete is a smartass in the quote, but DJ just presented it as info from someone experienced with riding vids.

Post #4 is confrontational and insulting another riders ability. I also took the insult of riding ability as an insult to me. I am not a tech rider nor will I ever be. I have seen pics of DJ riding stuff I would not dare do, other than walking it. So, I guess I am a REALLY crappy rider?

Post #7, DJ points out what is the big deal about riding ability, as long as the ride is fun. Being a crap rider I can still say I have a boatload of fun on 99% of my rides. And someone is always going to be 'better' or 'worse' skills-wise. Why be so insulting? I suppose Darren Berrecloth could tell EVERYONE on this board they are a crap rider.

Post #11 and #12 are just the usual predictable exchange of smart remarks from skinny and DJ. It is getting old guys, almost as old as I am.

Post #13 is just as silly as post #4. Look at post #3 again, just a quote from someone experienced in bike vids. I see no sarcasm or confrontation or insult, or negative 'tone.' Why so insulting about it?

So, I guess now I will get flamed, told to mind my business, etc. This is a public message board and therefore EVERYONES BUSINESS.

I just think y'all are being silly and juvenile, and me, I am being a busybody. OK? I say get on with the thread topic.

Rita

Beyond the stars

yes, it does get old . . .

I'd still be interested in peoples experiences with helmet cams and the setup and function of stuff like that?

Hey, CycleJunkie where do you host your vids? do you have server space somewhere, or web space on a work-server or something? Most ISPs just give you small amounts of server space and it's not enough for video's. So, does anyone know where space (that I don't have to pay for) that I can host Arizona videos?

Here's a couple flicks...

Hey, CycleJunkie where do you host your vids? do you have server space somewhere, or web space on a work-server or something?
    http://www.jameshowardwhite.com/AZ_Footage.htm
    http://www.jameshowardwhite.com/vids.htm

So, does anyone know where space (that I don't have to pay for) that I can host Arizona videos?
    Most of the freebie hosting services are really too small for any good quality movies (20+ MEG). Check out Go Daddy , they have really cheap prices on domains and hosting packages (that's who hosts my site).

I am Walt
    I ride with cycljunkie and let him figure it out and deal with it...

Haven't seen much footage of me, though.
    Ride more; post less...

Flag Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I ride with cycljunkie and let him figure it out and deal with it...

Haven't seen much footage of me, though.
    Hey Walt, I'm gonna bring the camera setup to Flag this Sunday for sure... You wanna post up a ride invite to get some folks interested? If not I can...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZtortoise
    Reading this thread is like watching a train wreck-I want to turn away and ignore the juvenile behavior but I just have to look.

Looking at post #3, I did not sense anything bad in the reply, other than Pete is a smartass in the quote, but DJ just presented it as info from someone experienced with riding vids.

Post #4 is confrontational and insulting another riders ability. I also took the insult of riding ability as an insult to me. I am not a tech rider nor will I ever be. I have seen pics of DJ riding stuff I would not dare do, other than walking it. So, I guess I am a REALLY crappy rider?

Post #7, DJ points out what is the big deal about riding ability, as long as the ride is fun. Being a crap rider I can still say I have a boatload of fun on 99% of my rides. And someone is always going to be 'better' or 'worse' skills-wise. Why be so insulting? I suppose Darren Berrecloth could tell EVERYONE on this board they are a crap rider.

Post #11 and #12 are just the usual predictable exchange of smart remarks from skinny and DJ. It is getting old guys, almost as old as I am.

Post #13 is just as silly as post #4. Look at post #3 again, just a quote from someone experienced in bike vids. I see no sarcasm or confrontation or insult, or negative 'tone.' Why so insulting about it?

So, I guess now I will get flamed, told to mind my business, etc. This is a public message board and therefore EVERYONES BUSINESS.

I just think y'all are being silly and juvenile, and me, I am being a busybody. OK? I say get on with the thread topic.

Rita
    Rita, you have been perhaps my greatest advocate when I was taking a bunch of heat for my posts. I appreciate it very much and will not forget it. I respect you a great deal. I say this simply because I wish to post my take on the insult exchanges. As you will see, my opinion differs a bit from yours. I do not want my post to be misunderstood. I hope it is now clear that it is just my opinion and in no way is intended to upset, harm, hurt or cause any negativity whatsoever. "I love You Man". Anyway, here goes.

I think DJBiker's posts are unique and sometimes hard to figure out. I also easily see why they can, on occassion, rub people the wrong way. I don't know DJ. Indeed, I have nothing against him. It is possible, after spending time with him, that I will like him a bunch. If I was AZ Saint, DJ's post #3 would have upset me. It had a conceitedish tone to it and it just felt kind of yucky. Actually, its hard to really explain why many of DJ's posts have a "biting" feeling to them. Many times, they just feel "off". Honestly, I don't think DJ is trying to upset anyone. Nonetheless, I concur whole heartedly that most of AZ Saint's response in Post #4 was way uncalled for and took the negativity to an entirely different and inappropriate level. An apology to DJ is warranted.

Posts 11 and 12 between DJ and Skinny are, as you said, the same ol same ol. I think it is entertaining, but agree that perhaps this kind of stuff should stop based on what others think about such exchanges. However, I believe all this goes back to the original blow up between the two parties. The wounds from that thread still have not yet healed. I am good friends with Skinny, but still believe I am being objective when I say that DJ owes Skinny an apology for his comments from long ago.

That is about it for my opinion. DJ, I am sorry if I upset you. I didn't want to, but will understand if I did. Besides, this is the internet.

As for the topic of this thread, I have also heard that the Sanyo is more marketing than substance.

PS: Rita, DJBiker, Skinny-Tire, DHF'r and AZ Saint. One ride with all of us together will kill all the negativity that exists between us. Lets do it.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Beyond the stars

Check you out . . .

all high and mighty wit yo bad self . . .

passing judgment on me

Geoff, what gives you the right? (I mean, you know, you being all perfect and all)
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 07-18-2005 at 11:33 PM.

Yup

Beyond the stars

Those are cool

I like the Hawes video the best, but I agree with what you said before (about having a rider in front to give some perspective)

What do you think of this guy's stuff?
    http://www.chainringtattoo.com/pages/videos.html

Seems to be different schools of thought here, pete puts the entire camera on his helmet, others use the lipstick camera (I can't tell the difference other than the shadow of the camera-person - - if it's a big shadow on the side of head=entire camera - - if it's a little bump on top of the head=lipstick camera)

Ouch, I am hot!
    all high and mighty wit yo bad self . . .

passing judgment on me

Geoff, what gives you the right? (I mean, you know, you being all perfect and all)
    Reminds me of the scene in Excalibur when Lancelot is dying in the hands of King Arthur and he tells Arthur, "It's the old wound, sire!" referring to the self inflicted wound he received in a dream which symbolized his internal conflict with himself over his lust for Queen Guinevere.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Rita, you have been perhaps my greatest advocate when I was taking a bunch of heat for my posts. I appreciate it very much and will not forget it. I respect you a great deal. I say this simply because I wish to post my take on the insult exchanges. As you will see, my opinion differs a bit from yours. I do not want my post to be misunderstood. I hope it is now clear that it is just my opinion and in no way is intended to upset, harm, hurt or cause any negativity whatsoever. "I love You Man". Anyway, here goes.

I think DJBiker's posts are unique and sometimes hard to figure out. I also easily see why they can, on occassion, rub people the wrong way. I don't know DJ. Indeed, I have nothing against him. It is possible, after spending time with him, that I will like him a bunch. If I was AZ Saint, DJ's post #3 would have upset me. It had a conceitedish tone to it and it just felt kind of yucky. Actually, its hard to really explain why many of DJ's posts have a "biting" feeling to them. Many times, they just feel "off". Honestly, I don't think DJ is trying to upset anyone. Nonetheless, I concur whole heartedly that most of AZ Saint's response in Post #4 was way uncalled for and took the negativity to an entirely different and inappropriate level. An apology to DJ is warranted.

Posts 11 and 12 between DJ and Skinny are, as you said, the same ol same ol. I think it is entertaining, but agree that perhaps this kind of stuff should stop based on what others think about such exchanges. However, I believe all this goes back to the original blow up between the two parties. The wounds from that thread still have not yet healed. I am good friends with Skinny, but still believe I am being objective when I say that DJ owes Skinny an apology for his comments from long ago.

That is about it for my opinion. DJ, I am sorry if I upset you. I didn't want to, but will understand if I did. Besides, this is the internet.

As for the topic of this thread, I have also heard that the Sanyo is more marketing than substance.

PS: Rita, DJBiker, Skinny-Tire, DHF'r and AZ Saint. One ride with all of us together will kill all the negativity that exists between us. Lets do it.
    Actually, I was never really offended by Doug's post. I just love the irony in Doug's posts.

And don't hold your breath. I will never, ever ride with Doug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast