mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Helmet Camera Question

Last year my dad got me an Oregon Scientific digital video camera to help document my travels on the mountain bike. It came with multiple ways to mount it, i.e. helmet or handlebars. Just wondering if anybody knows where is the best place to mount it for MTB as far as stability is concerned? When I start sending him video I dont want the guy to get vertigo from watching the little movies. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Type in your camera's name on Youtube- if it's anything like the Tony Hawk helmet cam, you'll find loads of user-made videos. I have persoanlly had the best results on the helmet over the handlebars because you don't swing your head when you turn like you do the bars. Also your body is an added layer of cushion that tends to mellow out the jitters of pounding over uneven terrain.

The most important factor seems to be positioning. A little too low and its a dizzying display of the ground blurring by and a little high and there is no sense of speed. Get tons of practice in the yard before you go out to make your film.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Members who have read this thread: 0