mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Helmet Camera Kit Recomendation

I am going to be buying a Helmet Camera as a gift for a guy that only buys the best for himself. Therefore I feel I have to buy the best for him.

I am debating whether to get a helmet cam kit to plug into his Soney Mini DVD Recorder or if I should get a stand alone camera like the Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Action Camera. He is not highly technical so simplicity may be the way to go.

Any suggestions out there from seasoned videographers?

ZEN RIDER!

Helmet Hero

I saw this in the latest issue of Bike - The Helmet Hero - goprocamera -
    Anyone have any info on this? Looks kinda odd, but if it works who cares & the price is right - which makes me skeptical.
    Only 3 mg video
    Life in every breath

banned
    Sep 2005
    If he wants the best, the OS camera won't do it. You'll have to look into a plug in to the Sony: something like Viosport or XtremeRecall.

What could go wrong ...

Helmet Cam

I use a Viosport lipstick cam plugged into a sony minidv camcorder and have had pretty good results so far ... i was going to start using a mini dvr instead of my camcorder but the problem for me is that the video quality of the flash card recorders is pretty bad and it is in the mpeg4 format which is not easy to edit ... look on ebay for a used sony camcorder to use with the viosport (now called vio pov) cam so you dont destroy your camcorder like I did ... just make sure it has the older mini av plug instead of the new goofy plug found on sony camcorders
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

banned
    Sep 2005
    The Vio POV is actually a recorder/camera combo. They still sell the individual lipstick camera's though.

And Vio does offer the 10 pin connector for Sony cameras in their harnesses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just bought the Oregon Scientific yesterday, just messsing around with it now at works. It seems like it is awfully shaky. I am a complete novice with videos. Are there some simple pointers for not having it shake so much while riding?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think mounting it to your head is the best way to keep the video smooth.

I have been using the SportZshot 6xpro-1 (580 hi-res) with my Sony DCR-HC40 with some very decent results.

What could go wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    The Vio POV is actually a recorder/camera combo. They still sell the individual lipstick camera's though.

And Vio does offer the 10 pin connector for Sony cameras in their harnesses.

Yes Rob the vio pov is a combo but i was refering to the web addy not the combo ... my bad ... and the sony 10 pin plug is garbage imo ... I did find 1 site that had a 90 degree adapter for it but they wont sell just the adapter ... i have the older viosport lipstick cam that does not have the mic built in so i use an external mic on my setup and to get get the smoothest video i usually mount the cam to my helmet but i have had good results mounting the cam to the frame of a bike (see the wheely section in my video "Broken")

i will post a pic of my setup soon ... anyone else have pics of their helmet cam setup

This guy
    check out the motocomm kit $359.99
    its complete with DVR, camera, etc. and inexpensive
    not the best quality though
    https://www.rflimited.com/ShowProduc...D=31&NodeID=c2
    or
    https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3
    RIDE

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    Yes Rob the vio pov is a combo but i was refering to the web addy not the combo ... my bad ... and the sony 10 pin plug is garbage imo ... I did find 1 site that had a 90 degree adapter for it but they wont sell just the adapter ... i have the older viosport lipstick cam that does not have the mic built in so i use an external mic on my setup and to get get the smoothest video i usually mount the cam to my helmet but i have had good results mounting the cam to the frame of a bike (see the wheely section in my video "Broken")

i will post a pic of my setup soon ... anyone else have pics of their helmet cam setup
    Ahh, gotcha.

The 10 pin works pretty well from my exp. I think Xtremerecall has a 90* 10 pin connector if that makes any difference.

What could go wrong ...
    Yes I am going to call Xtreme Recall this week to order the 90 degree cable ( $50 for a cable ouch) and to see if I can get a sony np battery with a pigtail jack to power my cam and the dsr-100 looks good but it only records at 320x240 ... thats ok for the web but not that good for dvd copies

banned
    Sep 2005
    Dsr-100?

mtbr member
    Check out www.chasecam.com

I use one for my autocrossing.

It's pretty compact and completely solid state.

What could go wrong ...
    Rob the dsr 100 is for the link posted by yzingerr

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    Rob the dsr 100 is for the link posted by yzingerr
    Ah. I only clicked and looked very quickly. Got it now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks everyone - I have been learning a lot about this. I appreciate everyone's input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a bullet cam connect to a sony mini DV. But after a year the wires came loose on the camera and i sent it back for warrenty and never saw it again I kept trying to get ahold of them but no one ever picks up the phone so i left messages and e-mails and the few times i talked to someone they said they would check and call me back and never did So don't get a bullet cam if you are going to buy one, the customer service sucks.

Members who have read this thread: 0