mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Helmet Cam Storeage Question

A friend was telling me he ran across a product that was basically a portable hard drive with a minimal OS / connections that would store 20 hours or so of .avi video for connection to a helmet cam.

I thought this would be a much better option than using a digital video camera both in cost and storeage capacity.

I was just curious if anyone had ran across one of these or could point me in their general direction. I haven't been able to find any info on them so far.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    A friend was telling me he ran across a product that was basically a portable hard drive with a minimal OS / connections that would store 20 hours or so of .avi video for connection to a helmet cam.

I thought this would be a much better option than using a digital video camera both in cost and storeage capacity.

I was just curious if anyone had ran across one of these or could point me in their general direction. I haven't been able to find any info on them so far.

Thanks
    Not possible: A helmet cam puts out video not AVI.
    Bad idea: Vibration is bad for hard drives, especially when the heads are active!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a cool idea...but I haven't heard of anything either. Unless someone out there has jerry-rigged one together.

There are "field pack"type cameras out there that record straight to a file (XDCam by Sony, P2 by Panasonic, Ikegami, etc), rather than tape but those are BIG bucks...and I wouldn't really recommend strapping one to your melon while riding!

mtbr member
    Good in theory but hard-drive + vibration = ruined drive. There's got to be a way, though.

I wouldn't mind paying the bucks for a helmet cam/digital storage solution (Compact Flash, Memory stick, etc) but carrying my camcorder in my pack would be scary I think.

Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem