Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Helmet Cam

  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: kawboy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    685

    Helmet Cam

    Does anyone make one that is good quality...and not run you to the poor house? I am doing downieville and want to video it...to bring back to Japan.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Helmet Cam

    Samsung Camcorder X. Pg. 4 of May Mountain Bike Magazine. Never used on, looks cool though. Hot chick in the add also. www.samsung.com

  3. #3
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334

    Won't cut it.

    Those specs aren't good enough to do the job. Captures in mp4 format (not raw DV) and only has 512 meg built in memory. And there is no mention of frames per second. Pete, MTBBill and I all have discussions on this subject. Either mount a small decent camcorder directly on your helmet or mount a lipstick camera (connected to a camcorder in your pack) on your helmet. All three of us started with the lipstick cam method and the other two have switched to directly mounting the camcorder. I'm in the process of switching to that method myself. It gives much better image quality.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Stabalizing the image.

    How do you stabalize the image?

  5. #5
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334
    With your knees.

  6. #6
    ronbo613
    Guest
    What kind of lipstick camera were you using?

  7. #7
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334

    RF Concepts

    RF Concepts. Please consult my video how to section.

  8. #8
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Those specs aren't good enough to do the job. Captures in mp4 format (not raw DV) and only has 512 meg built in memory. And there is no mention of frames per second. Pete, MTBBill and I all have discussions on this subject. Either mount a small decent camcorder directly on your helmet or mount a lipstick camera (connected to a camcorder in your pack) on your helmet. All three of us started with the lipstick cam method and the other two have switched to directly mounting the camcorder. I'm in the process of switching to that method myself. It gives much better image quality.
    Bummer to hear that the lipstick cams aren't cutting it. Why do you think that is? I am looking at the viosport as it has 520 TVL and a .33" Sony CCD - my camera (Sony PC105) only has a .213" CCD - shouldn't the image quality of the lipstick cam be better (or at least downgrade to the quality of the camera?)? Is image stabilization the issue?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  9. #9
    ronbo613
    Guest
    Please consult my video how to section.
    Some interesting information there.
    If I recall correctly, the remote camera I'm currently using is a 500 line per inch Topica with C mount lenses that is plugged in via S video to my TRV900 camcorder. Takes pretty good video.
    I use it mostly for water-related sports, but I've been meaning to get it out and do some trail footage before the bulldozers get there.
    There's a link to my website in my profile. Not sure if the lipsick setup is on there or not. It will be shortly because I'm starting a new video project.

  10. #10
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334

    Who said that?

    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Bummer to hear that the lipstick cams aren't cutting it.
    I said the Samsung Camcorder X won't cut it. I've been pretty happy with my lipstick cam for nearly three years now. The higher quality ones work fairly well. I just want to upgrade my image quality and try a few new things. To me the major drawback of the lipstick cam is the logistics.

  11. #11
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I said the Samsung Camcorder X won't cut it. I've been pretty happy with my lipstick cam for nearly three years now. The higher quality ones work fairly well. I just want to upgrade my image quality and try a few new things. To me the major drawback of the lipstick cam is the logistics.
    Well, I inferred that from you saying that you were going over to the "darkside" of direct-mounting the cam to your helmet for better image quality. How are the logistics of a lipstick cam harder to deal with than mounting the camera on your helmet? Not trying to be a pain, but I am close to pulling the trigger on a lipstick cam and what to be as informed as possible...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  12. #12
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334

    Try your camcorder first.

    That new Viosport system looks pretty good but it is $400. You already have a really good lightweight camcorder so why not try the direct mounting method first? All you need is a 0.6 wide angle lens, which Sony sells for about $50.

    The lipstick cam is a pain because you have to start the camera, pack it up, put it in your pack, and let it go until the tape runs out. Then repeat every hour. At least that's what I did. The direct mounting method allows you to turn the camera on and off whenever you want. The direct mounting method will also take advantage of the in camera image stabilization.

    I'm certainly happy with my lipstick cam videos but with my camcorder it was easy to hit a stop button while packing it up and sometimes the AV cable would pull out on its own from bouncing around. I also had at least four other problems off and on which caused me to lose footage. And that was especially frustrating when I went to some place I might not get back to.

    On the other hand, I went with the lipstick cam because the entire system was cheaper and I was afraid to mount an expensive camcorder on my helmet. I now don't fall as much as I used to and even so I've probably only ever hit my head once.

  13. #13
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,302

    samsung SC-X105L sport digital camcorder !

    wait for the new samsung digital camcorder SC-X105L which will be release this summer to the market. It includes helmet cam too. you can add large SD memory card to it. It runs on MPEG4 format. It also plays MP3, JPEG, G711, SP format. play back mode at 30fps. shock resistant.

  14. #14
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    That new Viosport system looks pretty good but it is $400. You already have a really good lightweight camcorder so why not try the direct mounting method first? All you need is a 0.6 wide angle lens, which Sony sells for about $50.

    The lipstick cam is a pain because you have to start the camera, pack it up, put it in your pack, and let it go until the tape runs out. Then repeat every hour. At least that's what I did. The direct mounting method allows you to turn the camera on and off whenever you want. The direct mounting method will also take advantage of the in camera image stabilization.

    I'm certainly happy with my lipstick cam videos but with my camcorder it was easy to hit a stop button while packing it up and sometimes the AV cable would pull out on its own from bouncing around. I also had at least four other problems off and on which caused me to lose footage. And that was especially frustrating when I went to some place I might not get back to.

    On the other hand, I went with the lipstick cam because the entire system was cheaper and I was afraid to mount an expensive camcorder on my helmet. I now don't fall as much as I used to and even so I've probably only ever hit my head once.
    Have you tried using a remote like this one? I am hopeful that this will solve part of the problem. Yeah, the viosport is spendy, but I want to get really good quality video without mounting a brick on my head. I just hope that the image stabilization is good enough. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it so I'll link some video when I get it going...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  15. #15
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,334

    I thought of the LANC

    But some cameras, such as mine, need to be in standby mode for it to work. Yet it will time out after a period of time in standby mode. Also, you are still draining the battery in standby mode.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,925
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Have you tried using a remote like this one? I am hopeful that this will solve part of the problem. Yeah, the viosport is spendy, but I want to get really good quality video without mounting a brick on my head. I just hope that the image stabilization is good enough. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it so I'll link some video when I get it going...
    I didn't pursue the LANC because of Murphy's Law. If there is a button that will turn the camera off it will be pushed (by something) during the best part of the ride. I start recording, verify, and close the case.

    Some of my beginner's efforts are at http://www.allsingletrack.com/helmetcams.htm
    Now waiting for good weather for the second season.

  17. #17
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    But some cameras, such as mine, need to be in standby mode for it to work. Yet it will time out after a period of time in standby mode. Also, you are still draining the battery in standby mode.
    Supposedly, the remote can turn the camera on and off. The IR remote that came with my camera needs the camera to be in standby as well, so I don't know if it will work or not. I'll let you know when I get mine set up. I am testing my camera now to see how long it will remain in standby before timing out.

    The cam comes stock with a 3.6mm lens (72.5 FOV) - do you think that is a good FOV for filming MTB?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  18. #18
    all day long
    Reputation: DickemDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    210
    my setup includes a sony pc-109 and http://www.jonescam.tv/helmet_camera.html


    all your helmet cams are relatively the same. for the most part they all use a sony cam and then they make their own package that will include the batteries, lanc(if chosen), packing, and accessories.

    in regards to the lanc and murphy messing with you, it's possible, but highly unprobable. i haven't had any issues, and it serves it's purpose of being convenient.

  19. #19
    Faller - Expert Class
    Reputation: psinsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    643

    Cool site with helmet cam footage

    Here's a really cool site with some good helmet cam footage that turned out really well. If I remember correctly, there's also a section where he describes his helmet cam setup.

    www.petefagerlin.com

  20. #20
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    But some cameras, such as mine, need to be in standby mode for it to work. Yet it will time out after a period of time in standby mode. Also, you are still draining the battery in standby mode.
    Well, santa (the ups guy) delivered the viosport today! I think that all cameras need to be in standby to work with a LanC remote - the catch is that the remote can still turn the camera on and off (at least my Sony) when the cam is in standby. I have tested it and it works as advertised. When I get my setup straigtened out, I'll post a link to some test footage to analyze the video quality...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Similar Threads

  1. Ever used a PV-330 portable recorder and helmet cam?
    By smilycook in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
  2. helmet cam attaching to digicam?
    By jh_on_the_cape in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 03:38 PM
  3. Use a DVD camcrdr with helmet cam?
    By mtbhead in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:46 PM
  4. helmet cam info
    By jr711 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 12:50 PM
  5. anyone want a helmet cam setup?
    By Doug in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •