mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Helmet advise...

I spent significant time on an MTB back in the day and am jumping back into MTBing after a couple of nasty near misses on my road bike. It seems everything has changed including the helmets. I've searched the forum and read a significant amount of the reviews to get my feet under me. I am searching for a helmet that is sub $200, has latest safety features and has high levels of ventilation. I am currently stuck on a Giro Montaro as my primary option. Can anyone provide insight on the helmet they are using and if they like it? Ventilation will be a key and primary factor for me. My road helmet cooks my head and Im tired of it...

Thanks in advance for any help...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have a Specialized Ambush Comp ($120) and a Kali Interceptor ($180). Like both, bith breathe really well and have different pros and cons with regard to comfort. The Kali has more modern features and has better fit and finish, but I think the regular Specialized Ambush ($180) would be pretty comparable.

Kali Interceptor
    Pros:
    -Great adjustment
    -great ventilation
    -Rear retention fits nicely under the curve of my skull so really secure with regard to on/off and fore/aft movement and is super comfy
    -better chin strap adjustment
    -snap on/off light and camera mounts
    -fit and finish is awesome as well as look
    -great peak on it (flexes in crashes, has good adjustment, long enough to provide decent shade)
    -some extra protective features
    -full crash replacement program (you only pay shipping to send in old helmet)
    -CPSC rated

Cons:
    -doesnít feel as good on the sides, so it feels like it would be more prone to side-to-side wobbling
    -only three adjustment points for the peak and the flex means it is usually a two hand adjustment

Specialized Ambush Comp
    Pros:
    -Very secure feeling fit for movement fore/aft and side/side
    -slightly better ventilation than the Kali
    -micro adjustments for the peak that are easily adjusted with one hand
    -price
    -Snell rated

Cons:
    -less secure feeling retention device relies more on the chin strap for keeping it on
    -fit and finish is mediocre
    -retention device feels cheaper and part sometimes creates a hotspot on mu head when tightened if I am not careful when tightening
    -more rigid peak more likely to catch on something and tweak your neck
    -peak provides minimal shading

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber252 View Post
    I have a Specialized Ambush Comp ($120) and a Kali Interceptor ($180). Like both, bith breathe really well and have different pros and cons with regard to comfort. The Kali has more modern features and has better fit and finish, but I think the regular Specialized Ambush ($180) would be pretty comparable.

Kali Interceptor
    Pros:
    -Great adjustment
    -great ventilation
    -Rear retention fits nicely under the curve of my skull so really secure with regard to on/off and fore/aft movement and is super comfy
    -better chin strap adjustment
    -snap on/off light and camera mounts
    -fit and finish is awesome as well as look
    -great peak on it (flexes in crashes, has good adjustment, long enough to provide decent shade)
    -some extra protective features
    -full crash replacement program (you only pay shipping to send in old helmet)
    -CPSC rated

Cons:
    -doesnít feel as good on the sides, so it feels like it would be more prone to side-to-side wobbling
    -only three adjustment points for the peak and the flex means it is usually a two hand adjustment

Specialized Ambush Comp
    Pros:
    -Very secure feeling fit for movement fore/aft and side/side
    -slightly better ventilation than the Kali
    -micro adjustments for the peak that are easily adjusted with one hand
    -price
    -Snell rated

Cons:
    -less secure feeling retention device relies more on the chin strap for keeping it on
    -fit and finish is mediocre
    -retention device feels cheaper and part sometimes creates a hotspot on mu head when tightened if I am not careful when tightening
    -more rigid peak more likely to catch on something and tweak your neck
    -peak provides minimal shading
    Thanks very much! I will check out both helmets!

Contains no juice.
    I like my MP-3 and the price was right.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...helmet-40-5476

mtbr member
    Fit is very important and individual, I would advise ignoring reviews, brand names and mirrors and just pick a good one that fits best and is appropriate for your riding style. All the major brands make good helmets but not all brands or models will fit you well. I think mips is worth it but you'll get different opinions, for sure it can't hurt.

If you want one that vents well check out the Scott Stego, mine almost has too much flow.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Troy lee a1

They come in standard and MIPS. I've seen them very cheap a few times, like $50 - $75. Tons of coverage, decent vents, looks good, very comfortable.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    MIPS is another good consideration, but bear in mind it is a specific version. Some companies use MIPS, some have other technologies that do the same thing (such as Kaliís LDL)

mtbr member
    I find that most helmets don't fit the shape of my head. Try a few on and buy the one that fits best, first of all. No helmet is a good helmet for you if it doesn't fit, regardless of the weight, ventilation, price, protection, or how cool it looks.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Based on cost and the lifetime crash replacement, I bought Kali helmets for my kids. After seeing the YouTube video from b1ker when he visited Kali, I decided to shop them for my next helmet. I picked up the Maraka for a great price and I really like it. It is light, fits my head well and has not been hot (though I haven't used it in extreme heat yet). Nashbar has them on sale for $59.99 (msrp is $159.99).

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...helmet-kl-mrxc

mtbr member
    Man, it can be tough to find a helmets that fits well. I took a fall recently and dented my uvex helmet so figured it was time for something new. I liked the uvex but even when cranked down pretty tight it would tilt sideways a bit. Over the last couple of weeks I have Tried a fox proframe, specialized ambush (medium and large) and kali maraka and was unable to get something to fit comfortably. Giros have traditionally not fit me well either. I going to try another uvex next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Man it's crazy how much it all has changed! I figured helmet would be an easy buy tried on a fee brands and they all fit different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yep,as has been said, all the big companies make a good lid. Just depends what feels good and fits your head.
    For what it's worth I ended up happiest with a Giant Rail. Lots of air and the shape suits my melon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    theres no such thing as a one-size-fits-all helmet, every brand has its own head shape it is targeting, you have to try them on in person. Just buying something because someone said they liked it is a terrible idea, youll end up with something that looks like a mushroom on your head or sits 3 inches above your ears.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Urge endur-0-matic 2. Great helmet that keeps the head cool. Comes with mips technology and is made from all recycled material.