Thread: Helmet Advice

Designated Bleeder

Helmet Advice

I took a brutal fall the other day and did some serious damage to my ear and head. Luckily I was wearing a helmet (regular, not full face) so my brains are still intact, but according to the doctor, if I ever want to ride again and protect my damaged ear, I should always wear a full face helmet. I currently have a Giro Switchblade in my arsenal and I love it and wouldn't mind wearing it full time. However, it is getting toward the end of its life and, unfortunately, they were discontinued by Giro a few years ago (at least in the US).

Can anyone recommend a full face helmet that is light and vented enough to wear for aggressive XC but tough enough to protect my vital parts when I freeride? I am open to any and all recommendations. Price will be considered second to quality but I can't really afford anything higher than $150 or so.

Let me know.

SpK

Sorry, but there's not much out there in the XC-comfortable FF helmets. MET makes one called the Parachute, but it's not available in the USA b/c MET doesn't get their helmets CPSC rated. You can probably order it from a British online shop, but they're really expensive and you run the risk of it not fitting your head well. I saw another FF in Italy, but it was 160 euros and not as well vented as the MET Parachute or the Giro Switchblade. Please take the time to write to Giro and tell them that you liked the Switchblade and they should bring it back. If there is enough consumer interest and pressure they would be stupid not to do something.

Specialized is coming out with a couple of new full face helmets, called the deviant line I believe, which look pretty well vented. The lower end one should be in the upper limit of your price range. Also, I think a guy on these boards who goes by TNC was trying out some other reasonably vented full-face. Maybe he'll chime in.

Oh, and also, get two helmets if you're going to be doing serious freeriding/DHing. Switchblades were not built to act as DH lids and will not perform well as such. They're awesome agressive XC/adventure riding equipment though. The same goes for anything designed with the same idea as the switchblade in mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    giro mad max is not bad, i dont do xc, but i have spent quite a few afternoons in it with the So Cal summer heat.

Riding dirt since 1970

Check out the Vigor Vamoose

Last edited by lifer; 09-09-2005 at 05:29 PM.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

Designated Bleeder

FF Helmet

I sent an email to Giro the other day regarding the switchblade. No response yet. However, the rumor is the switchblade was removed from the market for liability reasons. I am assuming people were downhilling in them and getting their brains scrabbled. The Swtichblade is definitely not a DH helmet. But if you have a tendency to injure yourself doing light freeride stuff, it works.

I have tried on the Giro Mad Max 2 and it seems to be pretty good. It would be a b%tch for riding in the summer though. That is the price I may have to pay though.

Specialized is coming out with a new line of well ventilated FF helmets but it they don't seem to be available yet. Pryme also seems to have a decent one called the AL. Haven't been able to find it for sale yet though.

As for the MET helmets, you can order them but shipping them to the US is not easy. MET is not actually legal allowed to send them to the US. Damn. Those suckers are like Cuban cigars.

Anyway, thanks for suggestions, I will keep looking...

SpK

Glad to Be Alive
    seriously look into a 661 helmet (Full Bravo) just as many vents but stronger than yours
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

The real reason Giro pulled the plug on the Swtichblade was that it was handmade in Europe, while all of their other helmets were moved to being made in simple molds in a factory in China. They decided that the profit margin on the Switchblade was not big enough and stopped making them. Think, that $190 Atmos ($225 for the premium edition), made in a simple factory in China. A $180 Switchblade made with more material, some done by hand, in Europe. You make a lot more on the high end road helmet.

People assumed that Giro pulled the Switchblade b/c it was "dangerous." I've heard stories of the facepiece breaking, but that is not the real reason the Switchblade was discontinued. Seriously, if you fall hard enough on you face to break the faceguard, and you still end up getting cut, 1)you probably didn't have all the face padding in, which is you own choice and 2)think about what would have happened to you face otherwise. You would have been in a world more of hurt, likely with a broken jaw instead of a few cuts and bruises. Also, almost all of the stories of severe breaks I have heard were by people using the Switchblade as a full face DH helmet, while is says quite clearly on the box, in the product description, and everywhere you look so that you cannot miss it, that it is not intended for Downhill use!

TNC
    noMAD man
    SpecialK, did you see my homemade Switchblade post just below? I've used Switchblades since they came out...been through 3 of them. This modified Pryme Al helmet I just set up works every bit as good as my Switchblade in the comfort and coolness category but has way more protection. I''m stoked to have found a better replacement that works great for trail riding. I'm also a dirt motorcycle guy, and I can't stand to wear an open face helmet off road. I also live in west Texas and it gets darned hot here. This new setup works excellently. I rode in 92 degree weather yesterday and stayed very comfortable.

Riding with...
    about 2 weeeks ago, i was just going for a ride like down the road and back, wasnt even thinking and dint have my helmet on, i wasnt gonan put on my full face to ride down the street. well this 5 maybe 6 foot dirt jump just was there, in an area i dont go very often. i was coming down this hill type thing with some speed and hit it, ditched the bike in the air finding no landing, landing on my head, directly. i stayed consious, went to the hospital and a week later, after no simptoms, they said i had soething called a hemotoma, and it was one of the biggest ones theyve seen. anyways,

Bell has a very good line for under 150, i dont know of a specific one, but i know where you can buy one for 74 dollars and its a really really nice helmet, i have that is 65 dollars, but it is so strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842