Thread: Which helmet?

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005

Which helmet?

I am going to buy a new helmet and was wondering what opinions there are. I have a Giro now and like it, but I am not tied to the brand. Any input?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

helmets are kind of like bikes...........

get the one that fits best. Any major brand will be made to the same specs. So just get one with good ventilation and fit. Best way is go around to local shops and try some on to see which works best for you. There is some variation in "retention devices" and you may like some and not others. Some are made for more rounded heads, some more oblong. Just try 'em on.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Get the one that fits best. And fits without thick "fit" pads or relying on the retention device to keep the helmet in place. The "head clamp" should just be used to stabilize the helmet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As long as it meets CPSC or SNELL standards, or something similar, which everything you will probably see does, then fit is what matters. Last year I was pretty well decided on a new Giro, due to freinds reccomendations but couldn't find one that felt real good, and ended up with a Bell Influx, something I had hadn't even considered buying when I started looking.

ballbuster

I like Bell

Quote Originally Posted by jberg01
    I am going to buy a new helmet and was wondering what opinions there are. I have a Giro now and like it, but I am not tied to the brand. Any input?
    ... but both Bell and Giro are great.

I have an Influx which was great, but now old and beated up. I just picked up an X-Ray, and it is even nicer.

Basically this is true. If you spend more dough, you don't get a safer lid. What you get (generally) is lighter weight, more comfy fit and better ventilation.

I just picked up a low-rent lid for a bud of mine who is staying with me from Germany for a few months (and using my commuter bike), and even the low-rent stuff is pretty nice these days. I got him a Giro Indicator for $35, and it has a mold-in shell. Even the 'universal' fitting system works pretty dang well.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    In general, they are not that much different "to me". Helmets only have so many things you can do to them. Having said that, my all-time favorite helmet to date is the Giro Xen. Not so much for fit alone, but its design in terms of being robust.

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    In general, they are not that much different "to me". Helmets only have so many things you can do to them. Having said that, my all-time favorite helmet to date is the Giro Xen. Not so much for fit alone, but its design in terms of being robust.

cheers
    I tried several Giros at the LBS. I really liked all of them and could feel the difference between the higher end models. I got onlline and found a Giro Xen for $80. I absolutely love it. I don't think the Xen has the best ventilation but the fit, feel, comfort, and even the style of the helmet makes up for it.