mtbr member

Heal trail wounds quick!

Not really sure where to post this so here goes...

We've all gotten our fair share of road rash. I think the worst part is how long these wounds take to heal. They get all scabby and always get caught up on clothing. A buddy of mine told me about transparent film dressings.

Basically you put this transparent tape like stuff over your CLEAN WOUND (I need to emphasize clean here) and leave it on for 3-5 days. You can shower and ride with it on. Just set it and forget it.

After the 3-5 days, remove the film and your wound goes magically from this:

To this:

I was quite amazed by this stuff and at first was super sceptical. But no scabbing and new skin/healed in 3-5 days before my next weekend ride? THUMBS UP!!!!

Weird post, I know. But I hope this helps others. This stuff works on low draining wounds. If you have a huge gash, I don't think it's recommended to use. But for all of those road rash wounds, this stuff does wonders!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tx, I will pick some up. With 2 young boys on bikes I will use this a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Tx, I will pick some up. With 2 young boys on bikes I will use this a lot.
    This stuff is amazing. I've never seen a wound heal so quickly especially with absolutely no scabbing.

mtbr member
    I believe this is the offbranded tagaderm...I buy this stuff in bulk because I suck.

Amazon.com: 3M Tegaderm Transparent Dressing with Label 4" x 4 3/4" (10 x 12 cm) 50 per Box #1626W: Health & Personal Care
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    I believe this is the offbranded tagaderm...I buy this stuff in bulk because I suck.

Amazon.com: 3M Tegaderm Transparent Dressing with Label 4" x 4 3/4" (10 x 12 cm) 50 per Box #1626W: Health & Personal Care
    The dressing looks REALLY similar to the Walgreens version. I may have to buy this in bulk as well… why? Because I apparently suck too.. :-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My kid's company makes dressings and the like including a similar product. I sent him a link to this thread. He says:

"There isn't anything very special about them. They aren't antiseptic or anything, they are just thin, adhesive plastic. They are best for burns and are generally used for post surgery wounds that need to be visually monitored. There is nothing inherently special about them."

mtbr member
    Regardless, these dressings healed my wounds faster than any other conventional bandaid/pad. Also, it's super nice to not have to change the dressing after it's set. No worries about moisture or possible infections as long as your wound is cleaned before applying. Oh, and no scabs to deal with is a major plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    My kid's company makes dressings and the like including a similar product. I sent him a link to this thread. He says:

"There isn't anything very special about them. They aren't antiseptic or anything, they are just thin, adhesive plastic. They are best for burns and are generally used for post surgery wounds that need to be visually monitored. There is nothing inherently special about them."

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've heard other people swear by these. I picked some up and have been quite happy with them.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

squish, squish in da fish
    i just found a new purpose for all the scrapes of clear bra i have scattered around. it's also dual purpose if you want that freshly waxed look too

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Tegaderm works great. Its not a trailside dressing, because it really needs to be 100% clean when you apply it, but used as described it heals nicely. If you have a really deep scratch you'll have some leaking around the edges which is kinda gross, but not insurmountable. The Doctor also recommended that you add some Vaseline gauze over the deep parts for the first couple days.