mtbr member

Hawes and azonic surround sound helmet:

I was on the trail today (twisted sister) and noticed a fellow mtb with a black round style helmet. I pulled one up on jeson and it has surround sound built in? Anyone have any experience with this product? It was an excellent day out today with tight packed trails with plenty of sun. Here is a product link:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c=em012307&x=y

Downhill Spokesmodel
    They gave one of these away last year at the Bootleg Canyon Race. I was told at the time that it was a new product. I listened to it and the sound quality was very good. At around $35 I might consider getting one.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm not a techno-geek who has to have i-pods and super tech-phones and all of that crap, but this is finally something that I would consider and it makes sense.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'm not a techno-geek who has to have i-pods and super tech-phones and all of that crap, but this is finally something that I would consider and it makes sense.
    yeah =. they have glasses that are mp3 players and ipods o plenty. its time they make something i would wear and use, too bad its a damn skater helmet. we get no respect!

parenting for gnarness
    Several snowboard helmets have come out that have similar features.

For $39, is it heavy and does it ventilate?

Most importantly: Does it block out ambient noise? I've been riding with MP3 players since 1st gen in '98, so I'm all for them if you can still hear what's around you. I dont wear mine in road events, and for mtb events I've got the volume so I can still hear normal conversation. More players has lead to greater chances of meeting a rider\boarder etc. who is unable to hear ambient noise. I'm worried toys like this encourage that behavior.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    They gave one of these away last year at the Bootleg Canyon Race. I was told at the time that it was a new product. I listened to it and the sound quality was very good. At around $35 I might consider getting one.
    does it have earbuds or speakers?

I think I would like the earbuds, but not so much my head being a boombox.
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

mtbr member
    it has speakers above the temples. the sound is similar to listening to a radio in a room. it doesn't drown out backround noise, but you can still hear the music clearly. As for how it sounds to other people, no idea. I think it would be safer than headphones.
    I like the idea and will probably get one. I HATE earbuds (they never stay in my ear) and its very annoying riding with only one in. Also, one of the riders on the DH/FR board crashed on his head wearing one...the music was still playing when he got up. So they pretty tough.
    For $35 you can't go wrong. Slippery Pig has some on display.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Excellent, thanks for the update. I will probably buy one, I like the look as well. thanks.