Thread: Happy Feet

'Tis but a scratch

Happy Feet

Its finally starting to get cold again this winter in southern NY. I'm not really phased by the cold, except for my toes. Last year it caused me to try various things: shorter rides, rubber booties, extra socks. All, no good. I was almost ready to make the plunge after hearing some fellow riders rave about Lake MXZ302s. But they are $250+. That is the kind of price tag that makes me think twice. Being a relative newb at MTBR, this was one of my searches and I spent a lot of time reading posts about cold weather and I stumbled across a fairly logical suggestion. It went something like this: 'Ditch the clipless and wear some good quality hiking boots with platforms". How friggin' obvious!!! I hike in winter in these things.. DUH! I have ridden 3 times recently in sub-20 degrees for 2-3 hours at a clip and my feet are happy little campers. So, MTBR community...my feet say THANK YOU!

AZ
    banned
    Yep, Sorrels and flat pedals when it gets below 10 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I saw the thread youre talking about. Problem is my feet sweat like crazy in my Sorels. Bought a pair of Northwave celsius. Bought them in the fall and paid $107.00 delivered . Saw them a week later at Huck nRoll for $89.00 in my size. Didnt buy them cause we hadnt seen cold,so I wasnt sure how they were gonna work out.
    Well, I rode for 2 1/2 hours the other day with the temp around 12 to 15 degrees and I have to say Im really impressed. Worn with a pair of Merlino blend socks I was totally comfortable the whole ride.Rode again tonight at about 20 degrees with the same result.
    Too bad I didnt buy that second pair cause now the cheapest Ive seen them is $189.00

bi-winning
    I do a fair bit of my winter riding on flat pedals with boots. It's a very simple way to keep your toes toasty.

However, I still like to have clipless pedals for faster paced and/or longer rides. So, after years of delay, I finally got some of the Shimano MW81 winter shoes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club