igoslo

Handlebar or helmet?

I just got my first real nice light set and I'm wondering what mounting location is better and why?

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    I just got my first real nice light set and I'm wondering what mounting location is better and why?
    (for me) Helmet: why? i want to see where i'm looking up ahead, not where the bars are turned to.
    only down side to helmet is dust and bugs!

mtbr member

Helmet

Having both is nice but when the light is on you're helmet it points where you're looking. When the light is on you're bars and you're on tight trails it's not allways pointing where you're looking.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Both together. I use the flood on the bars and spot on the helmet. The bar light shows the rocks, ruts and holes that the helmet light hides and the helmet light always points where I am looking.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Freshly Fujified

Helmet first

If you only have one light, then mount it on the helmet. With that said, I agree with Shiggy's suggestion of a flood on the bars and a spot on the helmet. I use this combo and it's very effective, and saves a lot of neck strain. With only one helmet mounted light, you're forced to move your head around much more. Between looking up at the line ahead of you and looking down at what's directly in front of the front tire, your neck muscles get sore. With the combo, you can keep the helmet mounted light focused ahead and just shift your eyes downward if you need to glance at what's directly ahead of you. At least this has been my expreience.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Helmet first.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Depends. If you only have the one light and it's HID, I'd go handlebar for all-around night riding. There are times when a helmet option is nice. But, here's how I decide:

Dusty conditions - handlebar
    Super tight twisty trails that are dry - helmet
    Super tight twisty trails that are dusty - handlebar and a bit more cautious speed

I'm also not a big fan of helmet mounted lights in big group rides because it's inevitable that someone won't turn theirs off when the group, well, regroups and there's always going to be that one guy who looks right at you and you get a full blast of his HID right in your night tuned eyes. Helmet light etiquitte: turn your light off when waiting in a group.

banned
    Both is best. If you have only one light, I suggest helmet for reasons already stated.

mtbr member
    I have used a helmet mounted light last season and a couple times this year. I don't like it at all and bought a bar mount yesterday for it. Like Shiggy said, the helmet light doesn't provide you with any shadows to help see the terrain. Sounds silly. but it's true. I also hate the weight on my helmet.

There is no doubt that the head lamp is great for the fact that it is always pointed where you look, but my night rides are done are local trails that I am very familiar with so for me that's not a big deal.

Phil from San Diego
    Surprised that so many people are saying to use helmet first. I've tried both mounts and I prefer barmount. I simply can't see the shadows on the trail when the light is helmet mounted. I couldn't see rocks and small ledges/drops etc. Everything looked nice and flat till you run into crap.

With the light bar mounted, I'm able to go alot faster and able to see rocks and things I need to avoid hitting. And with my Niterider Firestorm, it gave off enough light for me to see the trail except sharp corners around bushes and such.

But I can't say the same for the 15watt halogen NR Evolution Smart... It's not bright enough. Might be fine if use that bar mount and get another helmet mount light.

It was nice running both at the same time though. Only thing was the colors of the light is different and take a bit to get used to.

Going to keep playing around with different lights and set up till I find the perfect match. Dual HID would be NICE if not a bit overkill and EXPENSIVE.

Phil.

mtbr member
    Do a search and see what others think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com
    Unless you know your trail well and can ride it blind, use a bar mount light first, below bar even better to produce shadows to see the tecture of the trail. This comes is from trying both options alone and about 6 years of frequent night riding.

Although you can point the light better with a helmet light around tight switchbacks and off trail, helmet lights "flatten" the trail, especially when dusty or wet. Depth perception is much worse at night using much less light than the sun provides.

Both are best, I use the bar mount for close to medium range distance, and aim the helmet for medium range and look up for long range (short range kills the shadows). When using only one light I aim the bar light more for medium to long distance so it still works when braking and the light dives to a lower distance range.

The HID lights I've seen others use have such a wide angle there's no need for a helmet light except for hiking.

- ray

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Unless you know your trail well and can ride it blind, use a bar mount light first, below bar even better to produce shadows to see the tecture of the trail. This comes is from trying both options alone and about 6 years of frequent night riding.

Although you can point the light better with a helmet light around tight switchbacks and off trail, helmet lights "flatten" the trail, especially when dusty or wet. Depth perception is much worse at night using much less light than the sun provides.

Both are best, I use the bar mount for close to medium range distance, and aim the helmet for medium range and look up for long range (short range kills the shadows). When using only one light I aim the bar light more for medium to long distance so it still works when braking and the light dives to a lower distance range.

The HID lights I've seen others use have such a wide angle there's no need for a helmet light except for hiking.

- ray
    ...what he said, but if it's foggy or raining the helmet light SUCKS. I've got a L&M which is adaptable to both bar and helmet and I move it back and forth depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Helmet mount

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider View Post
    If I could chose the light, I would go with bar mount over helmet, for reasons of being able to read the terrain easier with the shadows that the bar light casts.

However, if you already have the light, that might dictate where it is best used. If it is a more narrow spot, I would use it as a helmet light, if it is more of a flood, I'd go with bar mount.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roughshot View Post
    Helmet mount
    I wonder if OP still owns a mountain bike. It's been over 3 years since his last post on MTBR.

You must have felt pretty strongly about the superiority of helmet-mounted lights to revive a thread from seven years ago.