bass playing IT monkey

Hand/Grip protection

I have a somewhat unique problem with my left hand.

First, I am a bassist and piano player as well as percussion so I baby my hands.

Unfortunately for that, I like to lift weights and ride bikes. Clear conflict of interests.

Even worse, my left hand, between the two smallest metacarpals, has had a scar tissue encapsulated neuroma happen twice in the same spot. Once when I was about 5 and once when I was about 24. Both times, 6 months recovery time and lost some feeling in my hand for awhile. The second time I had to relearn some technique on playing bass and piano.

That said, I have to thumb hang or monkey grip the left bar. This is prompting me to go single chain ring so I will have no desire to shift with my left hand at all. Monkey grip seems to still cause some discomfort. Thumb hang without bar ends is causing occasional bruising.

It is this reason I have not ridden in YEARS... but I am on a fitness kick and my knees can handle riding better than jogging. That, and I LOVE RIDING. I am in Arizona. I live less than a mile from great trails. I have urban bike trails for miles and miles that start at the end of the alley behind my house. So I bought a 29'er and am riding again.

I will be adding bar ends, despite the back and forth I have read here.

Are there any kind of palm plates that can help transfer the down pressure that would normally fall on my palm to the forearm? Basically like bracers with an extension? I have used inline skating palm guards with minimal effect while bench pressing, but in the dynamic environment that is riding, that is too small a margin for error to make me happy.

Any thoughts?

bass playing IT monkey
    I know this is a bit deep for my 2nd post, but I have been hunting the threads and lurking for a bit before asking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey,
    Fellow musician and luthier here (guitars, violin, keys, vocals) with much the same issues as you described, but in my right wrist and hand primarily.

The best thing I have found equipment wise are Ergon locking grips, I went with the large size. I have them just tight enough that I can reposition them mid ride on the fly to change up positions and prevent fatigue.

Good luck.

bass playing IT monkey
    Checking those out. Looks nicer than the aluminum ones I have.