mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Great deal on great socks

For those in the US, Sam's Club recently started selling Omni-Wool socks, arguably the best athletic sock/cycling sock made. They are made mostly of Merino wool and lycra, but have a third yarn I can't think of now. They fit great, never smell, are machine washable, and are made in the US. They have a thin top and a slightly thicker bottom. The ribbed cuff holds its shape, and unlike many other quarter socks, does not slip down into the heel cup of your shoe.

The Omni-Wool sock is similar to smart wool, but in my opinion is a better wool blend. I think the Omni-Wool sock is more breathable, cooler, wicks better, and more durable than smart wool or any synthetic sock I have tried. The Omni-Wool are not specifically "cycling socks," but they work perfectly for mountain biking. I suppose they would work equally well for road biking, but the snug fit of my road shoes requires a very thin sock.

My only complaint about the sock was its price - $12/pair at the local outdoor store. But Sam's Club just started selling them last month - $12 for a two-pack (pictured). The display at Sam's states that the Omni-Wool socks are a "One Time Buy," which I hope is not true, but I am buying and hoarding the socks in the event that it is.

The Omni-Wool hiking socks on the Sam's website are not the same sock even though they are made by the same company. The hiking sock is more of a "tube sock" and does not have the same design or fit as the quarter-length "performance" sock.

I wash my socks and other cycling gear in cold water with ProWash laundry detergent from Amazon. This detergent is great at removing funk and restoring the wicking/breathing properties of jerseys and other synthetic clothes. Finally, even though the Omni Wool label says you can tumble dry the socks, I line dry mine, and they last for years.

I highly recommend these socks, doubly at the Sam's club price. Hope you like them as much as I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great deal on great socks-omni-wool_socks-sams-club.jpg