mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Great deal on Aerotherm aerogel insoles (Jaztronaut)

Aerotherm is the company that make the 45NRTH Jaztronaut insoles (they private label their products for several companies).
    AerothermŽ products for private label | AeroTherm
    Brand products with AEROTHERM insulation | AeroTherm

I did some searching around for Aeortherm products and found a killer deal at Refrigwear.com. Their regular price is $20/pair, which is less than half the price of the Jaztronaut insoles. On top of that, you can get 20% off and free shipping. Here's how:

Go to Aerotherm Insole

During checkout, enter both of the following discount codes:
    NYSHIP - free shipping
    NY20 - 20% off

The bottom line is $16.00/pair, shipped.

I don't know whether these are exactly the same as the Jaztronauts or not (these appear to be Aerotherm's "molded" insoles), but I ordered a couple of pairs and will report back once I receive them and hit the trails. I figure that worst case, I can use them in other winter footwear, so I can't lose at that price.

UPDATE 1-4-13:
    I received the insoles and I've also had a chance to see the Jaztronaut insoles. The Refrigiwear/Aerotherm insoles are much wider than the Jaztronauts and the Aerogel insert in them seems wider too. The wide heel cup may not fit well in some footwear, but I haven't had a problem with it.

I have not had the chance to ride with them yet, but I did put a pair in some work boots and used them when clearing my driveway when it was 2 degrees F. Not only did my feet stay warm, but they were noticeably warmer on the bottom than the top, which is really unusual for me. My initial impression is that Aerogel does work as advertized, but we'll see how it performs on the bike before I'm sold on it.
    Last edited by Bnystrom; 01-04-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional information

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Bnystrom, I was wondering if you can provide and update on how the Aerotherms are to ride with? I am looking at possibly getting some warmer insoles for my winter MTB boots, hoping they will help keep my feet warm(er).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They definitely work. I've been using them in my winter riding shoes (Lake 303s) and a pair of workboots and they're considerably warmer than the stock insoles. If I was still ice climbing, I'd put them in my climbing boots, too.

Here's a link to the ones I've been using, on the Refrigiwear site:
    Aerotherm Insole

They're the type with the supportive heel cup added, as opposed to other designs that are just flat. They're not currently on sale, but they're still only twenty bucks, which is a bargain compared to the overpriced Jaztronauts at $50.

I found these on Amazon and they appear to be identical to the Jaztronauts for half the price:
    Amazon.com: AeroTherm Arch Thermal Aerogel Insoles: Shoes

There's also these, which are really inexpensive:
    Amazon.com: MCR Safety CTFM Toasty Feet Mens Shoe insoles Infused with Aerogel for Sizes 8-12: Home Improvement

Keep in mind that all of these are made by Aerotherm. They apparently make three models and they're just re-branded by the company selling them (Refrigiwear, 45NRTH, MCR, etc). You can see this on Aerotherm's "Products for Private Label" page:
    AerothermŽ products for private label | AeroTherm

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the update. Do you think the 3 different models all provide the same level of warmth? The only difference being the heel cup versus flat, perhaps thickness?

I searched on ebay and found this (that says it is made aerogel in it):Two Pair Polar Wrap Insulator Insoles All Season Men' | eBay Do you think this is made by Aerotherm, just labeled differently? The price is pretty good at $12 for 2 pairs/shipped.

mtbr member
    Think the raised heel cup would be too wide/tall to fit inside of a ski boot? My wife has been having problems with cold feet and these might be just the ticket!
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
    Thanks for the update. Do you think the 3 different models all provide the same level of warmth? The only difference being the heel cup versus flat, perhaps thickness?
    Since I only have experience with one of them, I can't say for certain. My assumption would be that the ones I have (with the heel cup) and the flat ones that appear to be the same as the Jaztronauts should perform about the same. Based on the images on the Aerotherm site, the others appear like they may be thinner and have the Aerogel in small pockets, rather than a continuous layer. I would assume that they would provide somewhat less insulation, but again, I have nothing to back that up.

I searched on ebay and found this (that says it is made aerogel in it):Two Pair Polar Wrap Insulator Insoles All Season Men' | eBay Do you think this is made by Aerotherm, just labeled differently? The price is pretty good at $12 for 2 pairs/shipped.
    They look similar to the orange Aerotherm products with the pocketed appearance, but I don't have any idea if they're the same. If they contain Aerogel, they should insulate well, but I would tend to steer toward something that I know is a genuine Aerotherm product.

As a point of reference, I purchased some cheap Aerogel seat pads that look similar to the Aerotherm products. While they insulate well, the seams on them split very quickly and the overall construction quality is poor. I emailed Aerotherm a couple of days agot to try to determine if this is their product or not, but I haven't heard back from them. There's nothing that I know of that would prevent a company from buying Aerogel and producing a low-quality product with it, so the pads I have could just be cheap knock-offs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Think the raised heel cup would be too wide/tall to fit inside of a ski boot? My wife has been having problems with cold feet and these might be just the ticket!
    I would depend on her feet. I didn't have any significant issues with them in my riding shoes, but I have narrow heels. The edges of the heel cups did bunch slightly in a couple of spots, but I just cut small wedges out of the edges at those locations and they fit great now.

Check what's in the boots now. If the insoles are flat, you may want to go that route. If they have heel cups, go that way with the Aerogel insoles.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks! Gonna look into a set for her ski boots as well as a set for my winter riding/snowshoeing/snow hiking boots!
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)