mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Gortex Sox for Cold Feet??

Has anybody tried those Goretex sox for inside your normal cleats while riding in wet/muddy conditions?

I'm finding my riding time is really being limited by cold feet. Obviously proper cycling overboots are one solution. Just wondering if anybody has tried these sox.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Has anybody tried those Goretex sox for inside your normal cleats while riding in wet/muddy conditions?

I'm finding my riding time is really being limited by cold feet. Obviously proper cycling overboots are one solution. Just wondering if anybody has tried these sox.
    Maybe. You need room in your shoes. Too tight and there is no air space for insulation.

Reducing my caffeine intake helps me--feet and hands--more than anything.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a pair of the Goretex socks. I also have a bunch of other socks for the cold months. From thin wool to very thick wool, neoprene and some other socks. My feet get cold in ALL of them and in different types of shoes. I live in Florida, so what's cold for me is not that cold for the rest. I'm not sure why but my extremities are very hard to keep warm.

If your problem is wind chill on your feet, the goretex socks will help. If you have some circulation issues, like I suspect I might (though not sure why) they probably wont. They're NOT warm AT ALL. They just don't let wind through. I think the thick wool socks keep my feet warmer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Of the two? Go with the overboot.

Goretex is fantastic at keeping you dry, but like every other 'waterproof breathable' material, you wind up stewing in your own sweat, unless you are puttering along. The moisture transfer is so atrocious that you would be better served, as mentioned above, by wearing booties (and either a big wool sock or toe warmers).

Other thing to put on your list, is to pull out your shoe's insole. Depending on the brand, there is nothing between the sole and the cleat plate, and if this is the case, cut an old credit/gift card to fit over it, and replace the insole. In cold weather, the cleat plate conducts heat right out of the ball of your foot, leading to cold toes.

With just booties, a regular cycling sock, and the credit card trick, I can easily cycle into the mid 20s without freezing feet. When you start out, your feet should be cold, otherwise, they will soak in sweat, and freeze when you stop. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

ready to ride
    I'd go with merrino wool over gortex for warmth. Don't get me wrong gortex is great for certain applications but not as a base layer in my opinion. Better suited as a breathable outer shell.

I have some wool socks that do great when wet. Dry isn't always an option, crossing streams etc. I also have some synthetic skiing socks that are good, wick well, but not quite as warm in real wet conditions.

In real cold weather you have to think of the system as a whole. Base layer, mid layer and shell. Also +1 on the fit. I know from personal experience from wading in creeks while fishing in freezing weather. If your boots are too tight and constrict blood flow your feet will be cold. Ample space for blood flow and small air pocket is the key to warmth.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just seems like these days my feet get wet and the wind does the rest. I've tried looser in the toe box but it doesn't help much. I had a roommate in college that was in ROTC and wore the goretex sox on maneuvers and swore by them. Seemed like something that would be easier to get in and out of than an overboot and avoid walking and cleat fit issues. I think I could live with the inside sweat issue if I didn't have to deal with the wind chill.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    On a multi day trip I bring a pair of sealskinz socks. Once my shoes are wet slipping these on are like a dry pair of shoes. They are lined and about the same thickness as a pair of heavy wool socks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    try wool. goretex not breathable enough for socks imho.

pin it
    I wear gortex socks over wool socks for winter riding. The gortex socks dont stretch much when putting them on. But I found they work for me and keep my feet warm and dry,

I also prefer winter boots to SPDs especially for rides colder than -1c.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went out and bought a pair of overboots today. Warm feet. Happy Camper.

Quote Originally Posted by norcom View Post
    I have a pair of the Goretex socks. I also have a bunch of other socks for the cold months. From thin wool to very thick wool, neoprene and some other socks. My feet get cold in ALL of them and in different types of shoes. I live in Florida, so what's cold for me is not that cold for the rest. I'm not sure why but my extremities are very hard to keep warm.

If your problem is wind chill on your feet, the goretex socks will help. If you have some circulation issues, like I suspect I might (though not sure why) they probably wont. They're NOT warm AT ALL. They just don't let wind through. I think the thick wool socks keep my feet warmer.
    Do you consume a lot of caffeine? It constricts the capillaries making your extremities colder.

I do not wear anything special for warmth for temps ~40F or higher.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I have overboots as well. There warm enough for the temps I'm willing to ride in.
    For those really cold days or to avoid the bulk of overboots try toe heaters. They last about 8hrs
    and will keep your feet warm when nothing else can. Grabber and Hot hands are brands Ive used for years. There air activated packs that fit outside your sock to keep your feet warm (never use toe warmers in gloves as they will burn you the tighter quarters of footgear requires a different o2/heat rate than that of hand warmers)
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Do you consume a lot of caffeine? It constricts the capillaries making your extremities colder.

I do not wear anything special for warmth for temps ~40F or higher.
    Not a lot. Couple of shots of espresso fist thing in the morning then nothing the rest of the day. I really think its just a combination of wet feet from the puddles and wind chill through the mesh of the shoes. I rode 12 with the covers today and my feet stayed toasty the whole time. Amazing how much that boosts your mood. The other thing I did today that really helped was to dry and warm my shoes on the defroster vent as I was driving to the trail head. But that's kind of cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Not a lot. Couple of shots of espresso fist thing in the morning then nothing the rest of the day. I really think its just a combination of wet feet from the puddles and wind chill through the mesh of the shoes. I rode 12 with the covers today and my feet stayed toasty the whole time. Amazing how much that boosts your mood. The other thing I did today that really helped was to dry and warm my shoes on the defroster vent as I was driving to the trail head. But that's kind of cheating.
    My reply was to norcom, the guy in Florida.

Preheating your shoes is not cheating.

I have used chemical hand warmer packets under my shoecovers on 15 degree days. Works great.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rocky Sox work great. I wear smartwool cycling sock under and am very comfortable and dry down to about 20 F.... after that I add another base ski sock. They do not take up much room, and block the wind chill through the vents which is key. Careful on sizing however, as they tend to run a little funny(some big/ some small)

Rocky 11" GORE-TEX® Socks - Style #8011

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Once temps drop to about 23F/-5C i wear wool socks with goretex socks then shoes and booties. The goretex is the only addition at 23F and really helps. I find that no matter how hard i push, my feet never warm up so i always make sure they're not cold when i leave the house. For the upper body i always leave cold.

mtbr member
    Gore-tex is primarily used as the outermost layer in outdoor gear, as it is waterproof yet breatheable. I've never tried socks made of gore-tex but my guess is that wool or wool blend socks would keep your feet warmer. Gore-tex booties that cover your shoes make more sense to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    Gore-tex is primarily used as the outermost layer in outdoor gear, as it is waterproof yet breatheable. I've never tried socks made of gore-tex but my guess is that wool or wool blend socks would keep your feet warmer. Gore-tex booties that cover your shoes make more sense to me.
    I'm a new rider and dont want to stop riding during winter, so I've decided to follow this thread. The merino wool socks makes sense to me when combined with waterproof shoe cover. I'm going with that setup and will post feedback once tested. The wool socks will get them tomorrow; the shoe cover, well, will have to search for the waterproof ones without spending too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wool socks are great, and one thin/ one thicker if you can fit them is great. The Gore socks keep you feet dry, and act as a wind blocker. The nice part about the socks versus the shoe covers is they do not get in the way, or get trashed on the outside of the shoe.

All good ideas... most important thing is shoe not being to tight to keep the blood flowing and foot will stay warmer.

YMMV.... Love the winter riding!

mtbr member
    Wschruba has a valid point with the cleat bed. The metal cleat will absorb alot. of the heat from your foot. If you pull your insole out from your shoe you will see the cleat bed. I bought some northwave artic boots and I get a small Draft at the cleat bed. So there are a couple of ways to stop the cold. 1. Buy a heat reflective insole that goes in between the cleat bed and the insole. Dryguys.com makes a very inexpensive insole that goes in between like I mentioned and it's reflective. $10
    2. Buy a insole made for cold weather riding. 45 Nrth makes an insole called the jazstraunt. But very pricey. $50

There is Another thread about these two products with links to each one.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have some of that adhesive metal tape you use for sealing hot air ducts. I wonder if that would work to isolate your foot from the cleat.